Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 12v LEDs for under gunnel lighting

Re: 12v LEDs for under gunnel lighting

Look who is going to be ready for the winter night fishing this year!!!

Yippeeeeeee!!!!

I have just finished wiring my boat this afternoon with 420 LEDs on strips under the gunwales.

'Tis the best lighting that I have ever had in my little runabout. Awesome!

These lights will only be switched on as required for baiting, re-hooking, donging giant tailor, etc so I have wired them with a switch at the helm where I only occasionally sit under the canopy and also with concealed waterproof switch under the gunwale adjacent to where I normally sit on the rear seat when it is in or on my big esky (usually) at the back of the boat.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Awesome!

Thanks to the people who advised the sources of the strip lights in this thread.

(Yes - I know that the inside of my boat could do with a good clean up but the reason for that is that my boat got used this week whereas yours didn't! )

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post

(Yes - I know that the inside of my boat could do with a good clean up but the reason for that is that my boat got used this week whereas yours didn't! )

Your not really rubbing it in are you matey??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Your not really rubbing it in are you matey??

Heheheh!

Heheheh!

So you brought it from ebay i assume.????

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Car-White-Fle...item27b0081487

For anyone else who is interested in cheap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    So you brought it from ebay i assume.????

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Car-White-Fle...item27b0081487

Yup. Thanks! The quality looks damn fine to me.

The postage arrangement is a bit gross though. It is a shame that they have pre-packed each strip such that if you want six of them, you have to pay six times the postage.

Overall, the price is ok though.

The amount of light that they put out is quite stunning really.

I got some green ones for under the backsetp - or marlin board or whatever they call it. It will be used to attract baitfish, and thus larger predators.

I saw strips of LEDs at the Tackle & Tinnie/4X show today for $47 per metre.

Gasp!!!!

Not the same strips as I have used but not all that un-alike.

I remain very happy with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    I got some green ones for under the backsetp - or marlin board or whatever they call it. It will be used to attract baitfish, and thus larger predators.

Please tell us if they achieve that purpose.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Thanks all for the good info. I'm waiting on a few of the cheap strips from ebay to arrive. Will be very pleased if they work as well as mentioned here. Cheap enough for a gamble anyway.

me too. I have ordered mine

Wow... at that price why not.

*opens eBay window and starts ordering*
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

Fitted my cheap eBay strips and very happy with them,i figure at a couple of bucks a strip even if i get a couple of years out of them i will have no cause to complain.

Steeler

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Look who is going to be ready for the winter night fishing this year!!!

Yippeeeeeee!!!!

I have just finished wiring my boat this afternoon with 420 LEDs on strips under the gunwales.

'Tis the best lighting that I have ever had in my little runabout. Awesome!

These lights will only be switched on as required for baiting, re-hooking, donging giant tailor, etc so I have wired them with a switch at the helm where I only occasionally sit under the canopy and also with concealed waterproof switch under the gunwale adjacent to where I normally sit on the rear seat when it is in or on my big esky (usually) at the back of the boat.

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Awesome!

Thanks to the people who advised the sources of the strip lights in this thread.

Good job, how many did you put on ether side??

i got lights from that ebayer too. anyone notice the putrid stench from the lights when you open the pack?

smelly lights ?

Hey what do people think is the best low level colour as a background light when fishing ? under gunnel.
    Was thinking of doing the whole thing in white led's but i'd need to swtich it off when fishing to see better without the glare.

Thinking a seperate swtich for a kind of "marine brothel" look in red might be the go ( not that i;d know what that looks l8ike of course)...anyone been on a rig using a colour other than as a fish attracting thing ?..in which case how was the night vision ?