Thread: Barra spin reel

Barra spin reel

G'day all, I've been sitting here searching for the info but cant find it. I just bought a Shimano Raider Barra spin rod for my first trip to Mondy but need a reel to suit. could anyone recommend some shimanos (or any other ) ranging from the low to mid price range. i know that I'm better off savin the coin and buying more exspensive gear but I cant now and figured that I will later if I decide to fish Barra more often. I've got a baitcaster but also wanted a spin combo for casting sp's and hardbody lures.
    So what would be the cheaper options that will handle a big barra for atleast one trip (if a catch one )
    Cheers TT

Re: Barra spin reel

How cheap ...... ?

What other fishing do you do ?

How much time do you have up your sleeve ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

cheap as possible with in reason, I normally fish for bream but all that gear is way to small. I've got a few weeks but alot of other expenses in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailortaker View Post
    cheap as possible with in reason, I normally fish for bream but all that gear is way to small. I've got a few weeks but alot of other expenses in between.
    Do you own a 2500 (Daiwa size) - 3000 (shimano size) ? - If you do own a reasonable quality one - It will work for a single trip I've used a 2500 Daiwa Caldia with no dramas.

If I was really watching my pennies ..... & needed a spin reel for barra - I would buy a Shimano Stradic out of the US ...... It should cost you under $150 landed. (locally they sell for around the $280 mark)

There just are not that many spin reels that sell locally for under $200 that cut the mustard - Probably more like $250.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

TT, a Penn Spinfisher in 650 or 750 should set you back about $140. Lots of guides use for their customers. You will get 150m of 50lb braid and plenty of backing on one and thats heaps for the lazy fat impoundment girls. They are not pretty reels, and they are a bit heavy, but you won,t break one easily. Just be sure to open them up and put a dab more grease in the guts than they come with out of the box. They will handle sailfish speeds, the drags work, and combined with your Raider Rod your ready for anything in freshwater, except the 30kg Jacks that are supposedly living in Awoonga,

cheers

TT, I have a raider with a 3000 symtre shimano, works fine, for the price tag...so far anyways.. ..use it offshore and at mondy...two fish at the dam, a 99..and a stiched up.mtr +....so far so good..
    deano..
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

What about Pflueger Supreme 40XT?
    Thats another one for the Punisher!

ive got the stradic 5000 just need a rod to put with it for the barra that one day i will catch .. sick of donuts
    cheers jimmy

Any one had anything to do with a 'poineer BF 6000' a mate bought one of a friend of a mate who got them at the right price. All above board!

It looks OK bait feeder plenty of bearings front and back drag. I have had nothing to do with BFs. He goes fishing every few years and want to use on Barra so showed me. i know nothing of them, it was suggested to him it is a side door ABU.

Any Idea?

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Another question, What length leader do most run ?
    Cheers, Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Tailortaker View Post
    Another question, What length leader do most run ?
    Cheers, Grant
    Hi Grant

With spin gear its common to only run 18"-24" & keep the leader knot outside of the tip - if you use wind on leaders then you can go 4-5ft

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    TT, I have a raider with a 3000 symtre shimano, works fine, for the price tag...so far anyways.. ..use it offshore and at mondy...two fish at the dam, a 99..and a stiched up.mtr +....so far so good..
    deano..
    I have the same Raider Rod with a 4000 symtre on it and use it for everything. locally for cod and take it to Coffs for Kingies with no hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Any one had anything to do with a 'poineer BF 6000' a mate bought one of a friend of a mate who got them at the right price. All above board!

It looks OK bait feeder plenty of bearings front and back drag. I have had nothing to do with BFs. He goes fishing every few years and want to use on Barra so showed me. i know nothing of them, it was suggested to him it is a side door ABU.

Any Idea?
    Well he just pulled over a grand out of a mystery trifecta so now he will buy a decent reel but thanks for the feedback.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Well he just pulled over a grand out of a mystery trifecta so now he will buy a decent reel but thanks for the feedback.
    Hard to comment on a reel that no one has heard of
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Leader well around a foot foot and a half, rod well raider will be good reel they all are good when there workin. I use a daiwa triforce rod and reel seem good whole outfit was cheap...

breakthelines your XT will be fine mate!

Fishing is like anything I reckon. As you improve the better stuff will come...