Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to from here.

Question Where to from here.

If my Navman 5607 tracker plays up again, it’s going in the bin and I will be on the market for a new GPS.

So before the tinny and tackle show, I need your input.

What should I buy or what would you buy with $1,400 roughly. Having checked thru some previous posts it seems that most GPS units have problems, some more than others.

I don’t have a preferred brand just want a good, reliable GPS unit, needs to have a decent size screen. At this stage the Lowrance HDS-7 is looking the winner, but what do you say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Re: Where to from here.

Ok

No one has any thoughts, now that's a first. I have been off line for a day and a bit, I came back thinking of all the responces, and NOT a one.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Bump bump.

Mate I've got a Lowrance 5300i, not overly impressed with it(Can't find sats periodically, and my hand held garmin can) - A Garmin would be my choice.

I only paid $600 for mine from the states, Standard horizon cp180 and c-map coast of Qld.

lowrance 5200c 495 bucks on special with full warranty. they were selling out just prior to the the new HD units coming out.

Mind you havent got a map card in it. Yet

Mike

I have a garmin 172c and a lowrance HDS8 both are good, the navionics card has better detail offshore brisbane.

The garmin is easier to use and hasnt missed a beat.

I use the garmin for the gps and the lowrance as a sounder and backup gps unit.

Regards
    Honda.

Do you want a GPS only or combo unit?
    I have got a HDS5M & a HDS5X side by side, the GPS has been good so far. See my post on updating. Leigh

Standard horizon cp180 and find it good also like the maps with the green zones and cheap I think I paid under $700 here

I would consider the Raymarine gear, A50D is 1400 with a VHF radio at Whitworths. Not a huge screen, but i find mine fine. There is a 7" GPS only for 2K. Mine is only a few months old but no issues, I have crewed on a few yachts with raymarine gear and it has been pretty solid.

G'day Bruce,

I have a garmin 172c and am looking at upgrading to another Garmin - probably the 4010 and eventually put a radar on it...the Garmin would have to be the easiest gps to get around in and being techno challenged that is a huge plus. I'm sure you'd find a garmin in your price range and never regret it

cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

I just bought a garmin 451s combo, the pre loaded maps seem good enough not to have to buy the G2 vision, the screen is small at 4 in but you get used to it but could easily get used to a bigger screen too, for a couple of hundred more you get one more inch that I wish I spent,

it's easy to use after about a hr playing with it

I got mine off the net for $ 700 unused , he sold it as an unwanted gift.

I'll have to start anouther thread on what screen to watch, duel freq, split zoom, full screen , etc

Bruce,

Why don't you give Bill a ring? He might also have good advice, but I suspect Rhys is on the money.

That's if you can't afford the best - FURUNO!!!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Bruce,

A mate of mine has the Garmin 451 in an Ally Craft 510 Premier and IMO it's too small. If you are willing to wait a few months, I'll be upgrading the combo in my boat.
    Currently running a Lowrance LCX-110c. The unit is guaranteed not to make you sick.....

Cheers,
    Wags

sorry mate, didn't see the thread.

A lot of good advice coming thru. I will spend a few weekends looking at some of the units suggested. I might have to put the upgrade on the back burner for a while, and just hope the Navman keeps working.
    I went to court last week to settle my divorce and it ended up costing me a bit more cash than expected. That's life however !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wags, I will need to come out in your tub and check it out, I'll bring some sick bags for you to lol.