Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: pro's and con's of centre console

pro's and con's of centre console

Opinions and experince of the pro's ans con's of a centre console against a runabout around the 5m mark ..
    going to be used in a varity of places creeks to open water
    cheers

Re: pro's and con's of centre console

Pro - no need to wash blood off decks as they are so wet you just take em for a run to wash.

Con - Knee surgery happens earlier but can put off back surgery for a few years but you see a lot more surface action standing and also all the debri in the water

Love the bigger ones that are dry but in small ones I have been very wet passenger but they do have great access around the boat when hooked up. They are fishing friendly but not family friendly in the small sizes and need to be well set out to keep radios etc dry

Pros - great for chasing fish around the boat either at anchor or drifting.

Cons - you can only hide 1 person behind the screen in winter when flying around the bay.

There are times when I wish I still had my center console, then times where I'm happy to have a 1/4 or 1/2 cabin.
    Center consoles aren't really considered a family boat, so choose a boat that will fit your purpose.

Cheers,
    Wags

gone_fishing,

I'd second cormorant's comments. Have a 5m cc & unless it's a glassy day everyone on board is going to get wet to varying degrees if you want to maintain a reasonable speed underway, otherwise to stay dry or less wet which ever, you may have to just plod along, which can be time consuming & impractical. The width & height of the console & whether it's fitted with a perspex shield or not determines how wet you might get, subject to sea conditions & your speed underway. I'd avoid tinted or coloured shields if you intend to get one - clear is the most useful in low visibility or night.

Pros - good all round vision for safety & situational awareness for the skipper & passengers which is a big plus in marginal weather, chop and reduced visibility & night. Excellent fishing platform for 360 degree access, if there's no bimini rails attached to the side decks. A T-top with supports anchored to the console sides is a workable arrangement. Overall, a cc can be set-up as an efficient and effective work platform for trolling, bottom bashing, crab potting, movement around the boat when underway or at stop.

Cons - wet more often then not

but they are a lot of fun....after my cc I'm getting a Whittley Cruisemaster

cheers, HR
    'Hard work never killed anyone. But why risk it?'

G'day gone fishing, c/c usually have a better ride by console being further midship, easier at ramps and to fish from also for anchoring, seems to add to the thrill more standing up behind a console and driving a boat plus they are great if doing mostly day fishing, but have had a few times the decks completly washed down so you must have your gear stored correctly. runabouts ride not as good sitting on the bow and driving in wind chop, better wind protection when sitting at anchor,canopy set ups can be easier(cheaper) to have with side curtains for better wind and weather protection, fishability is usually quite good aswell, anchoring can be a hassle if having to get up onto the bow in some good chop definantly want bow rails, but alot can vary on types, sizes, materials and makes etc cheers brent

a 5m cc will have more fishing room than a 7m half cab.

Also, if your an avid lure caster or like drifting reef edges with plastics or snags in creeks etc. Then a CC is miles infront. Almost impossible to do effectively with a half cab.
    Anchoring is heaps easier in a CC aswell.

If your a hardcore fisherman, that likes to fish with a few others, a CC is best.(I've tried fishing 4 out of a 2400Kevlacat half cab and it was a nightmare with line tangles!) 4 blokes spinning for pelagics is also impossible in a halfcab.

If you like being on the water with the family and fish a bit aswell, then a halfcab is better.

as the other boys have said
    pros - all that fishing room
    ease of anchoring and moving about the boat
    cons - exposed to the weather
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet Rider View Post
    gone_fishing,

but they are a lot of fun....after my cc I'm getting a Whittley Cruisemaster

cheers, HR
    You buying a Collins Class Submarine HR ...........i mean a Whittley??????????????

Mike

If you want a fishing platform ...... there is simply no better configuration ( center cab ) .
    A well set up CC ..... is just a pleasure to fish out of ! ...... tonnes of space / easy anchoring / visibility .

As mentioned the downside is that they can be wet when riding in a cross wind ( though with some thought and good console / screen design they can be made drier and able to keep electronics / valuable dry ).
    Exposure to the sun ( solved with a T Top)
    They really aren't a family boat .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

most people own one in there life time but never two .

Speak for yourself - I'm on my 3rd and have had cabin boats in between - I just keep coming back.

5m runabout nice for cold rainy winter's night down the pin, and will not compare with a cc anywhere else.

The ability to stand and move to trim a 5m boat whilst underway is very important.

Punched my 5.4m cc out to and home from Hutchies in that SE blow this morning no worries, and was thinking about being in a seat 3ft forward and off to one side (ouch).

If inshore is more your go, then a runabout is good.

If you tear around after pelagics in summer then head offshore during winter, then get a centre console and a spray jacket.

I have had 2. Both Stacers, 525 and 444. The 444 was a better riding boat than the 525. Bit narrower, and did not seem to want to broach as much.

Both hellishin' wet though. But I was young and stupid....

Now I never go out unless I am behind a high screen and front and side clears. Got soft in my oldness.

GBC, you are up North aren't you? I can tell....

Pro's

More fishing room and room for eskys/tackle boxes
    Easy to fight fish by moving around the boat
    More room for the deckies to spead there crap around
    Better allround visabilaty
    Easier acces to the anchor
    Easier to fish 4 on board 2 back 2 up front

Con's

No escape from the elements Sun, rain, wind only for the skipper in winter
    All electronics/gear are exposed to the elements
    Overnighter trips not possible unless perfect weather
    Having to stand up on long trips (especially hard on the knees and back in Moreton Bay 2 ft chop )
    Can be wet in the wrong wind conditions (although a certain 685 CC was a bit wet once )

I'd happily own a C/C for day trips but for overnighters/extended trips a 1/2 cab would be the way to go

Damo

Quote Originally Posted by Catweb View Post
    GBC, you are up North aren't you? I can tell....
    edit - saw your from SA

Mick