Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barra being caught in the coomera river

Re: Barra being caught in the coomera river

Quote Originally Posted by the long shift View Post
    Mono is good but it can have a touch to much streach under load....well that's my theory anyway?
    thats why we use braid for main.mono streches and braid mainline helps us feel the bites. not trying to be smart or tell you how to fish mate, but if you keep using braid leader, youre gonna drop every fish you hook.

nice property where you work, very inviting lawns....with a deserted jetty, eh.
    know it well. the shoals will slow most of em down anyway. lotsa prop damage for the unwary there.

cheers
    Andrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Gecko good to here from you again. Horses for courses I guess, I use braid for main on my smaller outfit's.... just trying to cut down on costs that's all, cause good quality braid can get expensive. And the above mentioned.

Hey thanks for the notice on the lawns cause that's what I do. Head of ground's personal and maintenance.. Nice offce, don't you think?

Tight lines cheer's Long shift.

Gecko good to here from you again. Horses for courses I guess, I use braid for main on my smaller outfit's.... just trying to cut down on costs that's all, cause good quality braid can get expensive.

Hey thanks for the notice on the lawns cause that's what I do. Head of ground's personal and maintenance.. Nice offce, don't you think?

Tight lines, cheer's Long shift.

Quote Originally Posted by the long shift View Post
    The main line is rated at 45Lb mono, and the leader is 80LB braid.
    never have i heard of anyone using braid for leader material, but if thats what you like go ahead, but if your getting bitten off all the time why dont you try some wire i know there are some big barracuda down that way i caught a baby one last week and it fought like the way youve described it. cheers BK.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Agree with those who doubt Barra.... not only are they weaker than other fish pound for pound IMHO but the "start off slow" bit doesnt fit with any Barra I have caught on live bait.......it all happens at 100mph in my experience...but they turn it up fairly quickly most often. Shark would be my guess.... they start off slow then pick up speed then cut you off.....

Mindi and Bennykenny,

Thanks for your posts. I,ve had to hang my head in dissapointment.....I went out armed to the teeth with good poddy's in the pure hope that what ever is out there will soon become clear.

I know to some that my methods might be a little outside the box, but the two rods were rigged up with heavy braid. One with braid as main, the other with mono as main and braid as leader using 4/0 occy circle hooks.

The first hook up lasted quite well, that's the one with braid as leader. The second hook up lasted at least 10mins .The moment I've been waiting for was seconds away..... The waters surface rippled and the then came to life.

A bloody great Grey Suite leapt clear from it's mercky abise shaking it's head violently as it body slamed back into the brown covinert of mystery.
    Anyone keen for water skiing...NOT.
    Well bugger it the show's over I thought , but lesson learnt along the way.
    Using braid as main is by far the way to Go,I know I can hear it. I told you so.
    But on other ocasions on smaller fish I seek , Braid as Leader has served me well.
    You might well be shaking your head but just try it and see what you think.

Wel that's fishing I guess!

Tight lines and fish on the plate too you all.

Cheer's Long shift.

im still unsure about the braid as leader deal so i started a thread about it, it will be interesting to see the results, http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=160497 glad to see you got the bugger though, at least you wont stay awake at night wondering

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.