Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barra being caught in the coomera river

Barra being caught in the coomera river

While I was visiting my local tackel outlet,I was shown a picture of a large sized barra. Nice one I said. Was it caught up north in the daily or some where of the like?

NO was the reply, it was taken on a lure in the coomera river system.....WHAT THE..... was all that I could say!
    Looking at the background of the shot the location was starting to look very familiar. So i took the photo as being genuine. This catch was taken not far from
    my work place on the river.

So this could explain some things I thought.

Just lately I've been going to work 3 hours early just to drown a few poddy's and I've been busted up several times. 30lb braid wasn't putting the brakes on!

Checking the line for damage there was no slime on the line, that cancels out catfish, It could be hair tail/shark/jack/cod...Who knows? All I can tell you is that the runs start of slow and then they hit melt down speed. I lift the rod and click into gear I feel the weight then it's why what in the hell is doing that. Just another poddy and a burnt thumb.

With the last rain fall could've some ones dam have spilt into the creeks then found it's way to the river, Barra stock's as well? Or was it some ones pet set free?

Any more info please let us know!

cheers Long shift.

Re: Barra being caught in the coomera river

I think in the 70's or 80's , their was a barra farm near the old rum distl. And one year high flood waters washed everything away. We have caught small barra near the bridge of the M1 , near the old rum factory. A friend of mine has a photo of a 4ft barra cuda he caught in the coomera river last year, He got sick of being busted off every time , so he went down there with a 37kg game rod and reel with 300kg mono leader. He pulled it in after an hour fight from his 12ft tinne.
    If theres one there might be more????

Hopefully there's going to be a lot caught around here. I know that I would love to catch a barra in the Coomera, not just for the fight, but because it is such a rarity.

Thanks,
    Kaidon
    Conservation NOT preservation!

shark cat one and head banger thanks for the interesting info from you both...infact shark cat one I think your on the money.

On both locations there is more than ample food stocks and the water temp is right also. I had no idea about the barra farm near the rum distillery in the 70's come 80's.

I went out again tonight and drowned more poddy's but with a twist. The main line is rated at 45Lb mono, and the leader is 80LB braid, toped off with a stinger rig using 3/0 occy circle hook's.

I connected twice just before sundown I held the fight a little longer this time but guess what, still no colour. I've caught my fair share of bully's but this aint it!

I've just got to find out what's doing it. Swear to god my pen outsider reel go's into melt down. It makes a spainard run look half hearted.

It's almost like that one liner in the movie JAWS,when Ray Shrider say's Harry I think we need a bigger boat! And Im dead set sure it aint no old man Ray because it never goes to ground It travels at high speed zig zag motion (weird?)

The mysterious waters.
    Comming to you in 2010, a tale of a man, his reel and the mysterious waters of Coomera. One man sets off on a journey, a inspiring journey of fishing, to nail the big 'ol bastard.
    Haha, sounds awesome and exciting mate.
    Let us know how you go,
    Fishobloke.

Quote Originally Posted by the long shift View Post
    I've just got to find out what's doing it. Swear to god my pen outsider reel go's into melt down. It makes a spainard run look half hearted.
    Take a hand line w/ 100lb mono - Should sort out what ever it is

Mick

Well here is some more evidence for your barra theory. Is a report in the GC Bulletin of another barra being caught in the coomera river yesterday. Here is a link.
    http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY to all at AUSFISH.

Thank's Fishobloke,Frankgrimes and Prawnfrog for your info!

Prawnfrog thank's also for the GC bully link NICE ONE.

I'd gladly see the GC council release fingerlings into the river system. The food stocks in the coomera is amazing, it's a fish nursery.It would be nice if our rate's and taxes were put into something like this. On the proviso that the enviro impact isn't to harsh!

LOCATION.....LOCATION.

Near the M1 bridge overpass on the coomera use the ramp beside the bridge. Travel up river towards the shoals beware of low tide lift your leg a little cause it's fairly shallow. Collect live's here.
    Continue further up river till you site a party barge mored up on a floating pontoon.This is an over 50's resort, Continue further till you site a second pontoon. This is where most of the hook up's have happened. The odd Javiline fish can be baged here from time to time.

If you guy's bring home the trophy well done, post me a photo cause I'd like to see closure on this.

I seriously doubt it's a barra.
    Even metre plus girls can be regularly landed without too much trouble on 30lb line.

I've had some big salmon disappear into the sunset, but they usually do some aerobatics on the way.

I'm thinking shark, barracuda/pike or maybe big queenie?
    Used to get smoked occasionally by the latter two in Coombabah creek.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Owen,yep that's an option. I'm putting shark in second place cause there seems to be no fraying on the braid after bust off. It's just a clean cut off. Barracuda you've got me thinkin... Now the've got the stamina and striking power to match, not to mention the impressive dental hardwhare.
    Well worth the thought Thank's for your post.

Owen nice picture gallery..Top stuff...you'd have good knowledge of barra by the looks.

Thats pretty specific location mate, no doubt you'll have all sorts there tonight.
    Tempted myself, but i dont like getting in the water after dark if i can help it.
    Might check it out during the day though, and if im lucky i'll get you a pic and release it for another day.
    Cheers

Why would you use braid for leader? It has no abbrasive resistance. Go 30lb main line, and 50-55lb mono leader, and that should stop him, unless he is shark or toothy critter. Id go 4/0 to 5/0 hook as well.

I had the same problem with bustoffs elsewhere in the coomera, and so I put down a line with a wire trace, think it must be shark, but it was a big jack when I landed him.

You might wanna edit that location too mate. Theres a lot of guys who fish that area, and they wont be happy with you telling everyone. Ausfish posts show up on google for the next 12 months..........every man and his dog will be there. Just use the EDIT button and leave a vague location.

the usual thing is to just share location details by pm (private message) to other ausfish members.

good luck with your quest.

Theres also catfish up to 1 meter long up there, and they dont leave slime on the line either. They fight hard, but they dont break the line. I reckon youre onto jack. The barra hang out more mid river. try fishing near Sanc Cove or Riviera.

ANdrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Fishobloke and Gecko thank's for your post.
    Maybe I might've been a little to sharp on the verbal G.P.S. W.O.M on the coast does travel fast. I work close by, so I"ll keep an eye out for the boat traffic if It's getting a little heavy I'll edit a little also.

Gecko I've been using spider wire/braid for the reason of better sence of feel for the bite and a more direct contact on hook up. Mono is good but it can have a touch to much streach under load....well that's my theory anyway?

I've caught plenty of jacks nearby that would have to be a fair heavy weight to play the game like that,but it's also an option.

A new rig has come into play 30lb main 80lb braid leader 80lb black swivel a small styro float topped of with a stinger rig of occy circle 4/0 's and a poddy to
    finish the deal.

To me this is "THE HUNT FOR THE RED OCTOBER" If it's a Grey I'm gunna bring that sub back to the surface..... Untill then the hunt continues.