Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The $$$ cost of a fishing trip?

Re: The $$$ cost of a fishing trip?

Many years ago, when I didn't have my own offshore boat, I would pay for the fuel for the wide trips as my contribution to the fishing trip on a mates boat. Back then though, the fuel was 40c / litre and the bag limits were when you think you had enough (usually about 10-15 nice fish per person). It was affordable to cover the costs of a trip back then out of your hip pocket, not taking into account the value of the fish you brought home. These days the value of the fish you bring home is taken into account by necessity due to the costs of everything involved in getting out for a few hours. The bag limits imposed make it nigh on impossible to bring home value for money comparable to the outlay for the trip, unless you target two dozen species at once.
    I gave up fishing out wide about 15 years ago and to be perfectly honest, I do not miss it. I am getting much more satisfaction fishing the closer areas that people have forgotten about in thier need to get wider for bigger fish. Sometimes that thought pattern blinds you to the possibilities inshore.

When it boils down though, we all go fishing for the enjoyment and the prospects of a good day on the water, regardless of its outlay.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod11 View Post

Recreational fishing is the second biggest revenue source for this government...
    Thats the stupidest thing i've read on this site.
    What other people think about me is not my business: Michael J Fox.

If I worried about the cost of a fishing trip, then I'd have to sell the boat and buy a playstation or sh!t like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SgBFish View Post
    Thats the stupidest thing i've read on this site.
    Recreational Fishing ( AFB ) Attributal Financial Benefit is about $8 billion.

SgBFish... This amount is an attributal amount of money that is gernerated into the Australian community. mostly through taxes via the govt.

Remember................. Mines, Cattle, Crops etc are mostly owned by forgien countries and profits head offshore.

We are talking about the money that gets put back into the Aussie community to go round in circles etc. It is a " benefit " to the community, and not to individuals or overseas companies.

The money comes from:-

tackle sales, bait, fuel, rego, accom, boat purchases, cameras, insurances, sunnies, sunscreen, emergency equipment and myriad of other assorted goodies. It also takes into account the millions of dollars collected ( income tax ) by the govt from people that work within the recreational fishing sector. That is, boat builders, tackle manufacturers, retail staff, , charter operators and more.

I personally believe that the $8 bill is far too low and the reality is, it could be double that.

What it does not take into account, is the health and well-being benefits associated with a day on the water.

Just........... FYI.

Cheers Phill

Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 05-10-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Many years ago, when I didn't have my own offshore boat, I would pay for the fuel for the wide trips as my contribution to the fishing trip on a mates boat. Back then though, the fuel was 40c / litre and the bag limits were when you think you had enough (usually about 10-15 nice fish per person). It was affordable to cover the costs of a trip back then out of your hip pocket, not taking into account the value of the fish you brought home. These days the value of the fish you bring home is taken into account by necessity due to the costs of everything involved in getting out for a few hours. The bag limits imposed make it nigh on impossible to bring home value for money comparable to the outlay for the trip, unless you target two dozen species at once.
    I gave up fishing out wide about 15 years ago and to be perfectly honest, I do not miss it. I am getting much more satisfaction fishing the closer areas that people have forgotten about in thier need to get wider for bigger fish. Sometimes that thought pattern blinds you to the possibilities inshore.

When it boils down though, we all go fishing for the enjoyment and the prospects of a good day on the water, regardless of its outlay.
    If that was true Jack, I would have given up years ago. When we had the 30' boat, we would anchor somewhere..halfheartedly have a fish..usually got nothing..had a few drinks etc etc etc..that would cost me well in excess of $200 for fuel and food. That did not take into account the $200 per week just to have it tied up at the marina. I reckon the cost is irrelevant if you enjoy it. Same as any recreational activity..if oyu gain enjoyment..that is all that matters.

I reckon just ask a car enthusiast the question?

like anything, its as expensive, complicated or cheap and simple as you want to make it, mates will always work it out. Personally cant equate the need to bring home x fish to justify a pastime but everyones reasons or justifications to go fishing is theirs to own, i just like getting out there with mates,
    Tangles KFC

Nothing I have done has ever been cheap and I know I am spending less money than if I raced cars or shot competitively
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Do fishoes still try to justify the cost of their fishing trips by the qty of fish that they bring home (particularly inshore / offshore)...... I would have thought that rising fuel prices and the general high costs of boat ownership would have blown that notion years ago ......... but then again if that approach wins the missus over .......

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Do fishoes still try to justify the cost of their fishing trips by the qty of fish that they bring home (particularly inshore / offshore)...... I would have thought that rising fuel prices and the general high costs of boat ownership would have blown that notion years ago ......... but then again if that approach wins the missus over .......

Chris
    Surely not Nagg... we now have bassa and nile perch lol oh and vanemei prawns lol
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    I reckon just ask a car enthusiast the question?

like anything, its as expensive, complicated or cheap and simple as you want to make it, mates will always work it out. Personally cant equate the need to bring home x fish to justify a pastime but everyones reasons or justifications to go fishing is theirs to own, i just like getting out there with mates,

Ok then well here we go haha

Vehicle: 2005 Model HSV Clubsport
    Cost to buy Stock: $39990 drive away
    Cost to modify Engine with all components and lowered springs at Power Torqure Engines $14000
    Outcome 450hp at you right foot.
    Set of Mag wheels $2500.00
    Fuel cost on the average car cruise using BP Ultimate $60
    Trip to the drags $100.00 inc fuel and tyres
    Services $350.00 every 5000ks

Fun Factor down the drag strip: PB time 12.3@119.87MPH

Sold the car to help buy the boat I have now was sad to see it go but I love my fishing and having a day out on the water is definatly better than loitering in car parks talking about how big the engine was in my car or what money I was going to waste on it next plus the coppers would not leave me along when I moved out here. Great car but had lots of fun in it but I have more fun fishing and spend those summer days on the water with my mates and family. Pic as follows of my beast.

Boat is a bit of a different Story as I really do not care what it costs to get on the water because the memories I have had and the ones to come in the future will be priceless.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hahaha i know what u mean tim my partner always going on about do i have enough i say "hell nooo" hehehe but thats us guys i guess..lol

A while back i gave up on spending money on phone calls trying to get a crew and the boat always sitting around. Don't really think about the cost of a fishing trip anymore just hook the boat on and go when eva i get a chance. If i had to put an average $ figure on a trip it would be around the $200 mark. When you add all the fishing gear and tackle and on going expences a BOAT (bring- on- another- thousand) adds on top of that ...... maybe thats why i don't think about it and like most of us we do it because we love it........then theres a days pay when you go on a weekday....
    cheers Mick