Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The $$$ cost of a fishing trip?

Re: The $$$ cost of a fishing trip?

dont reallly worry bout the cost of a trip out.if i did worry i would give it up and take up lawn bowls.is hard to put a price on what i call the ultimate(spelling) leisure time
    cheers rosco

The previous boat was a 20ft. Didn't have the car to tow it or the room to stow it, so kept it at Horizon Shores trailer storage. Cost $2000 per year.
    A trip out usually cost $100 for fuel.
    The last year I had it, due to work commitments and weather, only took it out once. So that trip cost me $2100.
    Have down sized to a nice little 4.3m trihull with 50hp.
    Car tows it fine, stays in it's place of honor at home.
    Now a trip costs approx $30 and I can tow it to lots more areas for variety.
    If I need an offshore hit a charter cost about $250.
    I'm a much happier fisherman and my wife doesn't complain about the cost, just the lack of fish. I didn't say I was a better fisherman.

Most trips about $10. I generally catch my own bait. My main fishing spot is 5 minutes by car then 5 minutes by boat. Snapper fishing in the bigger boat would be three times that @ $30.

We eat fresh fish for a good 9 months a year. We eat so much that the Mrs doesn't complain the slightest about the cost of fishing. She knows she on a good deal.

Well I look at it this way.....

1 consultation with physcologist - 150 bucks...... Still don't feel any better and just forked 5 fishing trips.

1 Day fishing ..... couple jig heads, a bag of plastics and some leader line and some fuel + oil = 20 - 30 bucks.
    The satisfaction of getting out on the water, away from the people, away in my own space where I can find my own place
    the feelings I get just being on the water and catching anything else is a bonus.

Compare a fishing trip to most things these days.. trip to pub with mates -100 bucks, out for lunch dinner 50-100 bucks.

26ft plate 225 supergharged verado donk ,250 ltrs premium fuel @ 150ltr. 3x 10kg bgs ice 30$, pillies, squid ect 60$ tacle ect ???

3-400$ for a w/end overnighter..... all is worth it... fish results reds at 5-15kg's , spanish sometimes , trout , lipper all up cheeper than to by from shop.......

About $70 per head (for 3 people), full day offshore includes bait,ice,fuel,oil and plenty of food.
    Can fish 4 up so price comes down, but mostly 3up.

Doesn't include ongoing boat maintenance, rego, insurance, tackle etc, or car fuel.
    Tackle is pretty minimal with the type of fishing i do, mostly go through leader and may lose the odd sinker.
    I wash all my chemically sharpened hooks in fresh water, sometimes spray them with Inox and generally re-use them.

Hmmm... the following is based on 'wishful thinking' and the hope that I get to do this trip again some day!!
    I did Suki Creek quite a few times when I was based in PNG 2004-2007 and it was always fantastic.

The only time I tried to arrange the trip from Brisbane (D.I.Y. style) a couple of years ago, the air-strip at Suki ended up being closed for maintenance (wouldn't read about it) so our trip was diverted to Lake Murray instead. The lake at that time was "too full" of water so we didn't catch many fish (one big barra only at 97cm and a few 8-10kg black bass) plus the distances we needed to travel each day by outboard over bumpy water wasn't comfortable.

Anyway....the cost of Suki Creek trip (ex BNE):

Target Species: PNG Black Bass & Barra (yes, both available at the one fishing location)

Based on a per person (2 pax) estimate for 1 week trip to SUKI Creek, Fly River, PNG (D.I.Y.)

Flight from Brisbane to Port Moresby (RTN) with Virgin airlines approx $500 pp
    Transit o'night hotel accom in POM approx $150 for two nights (twin)
    Food/drinks/bits & bobs etc bought from local supermarkets to bring to Suki with you: approx $150 pp
    Flight from Port Moresby with Airlines PNG to Suki (RTN) approx $500 pp
    Guest House accom at Suki $20 pp per/night x 7 nights = $140 (includes firewood and having your laundry done)
    Boat hire (2 pax per boat) $60 per day pp x 7 days $420
    Outboard Fuel approx $3.00 per litre x 20litres per day pp (max) = $60 x 7 = $420
    Local guide hire & driver $10 pp per day
    O'night accom in POM on rtn $75 (twin)

So, all in all - give and take with approximations and unforseeables, the one week trip from Brisbane to Suki (D.I.Y.) would cost in the vicinity of $2500 all up for the week.

By the way, its a very no frills 'Do It Yourself' arrangement as Suki Lodge has no bar (its BYO only), there is no a/c in the rooms; the toilet is a long-drop, showers are outdoors and you do your own cooking...but its a great place!!!

NB: For up to date information and price estimates it'd be best to do a Google search and try contacting either Star Mountains Fishing Club and/or Kiunga Guest House.
    I last went to Suki in 2007 so the figures above might be a tad dodgy, although I did Google the flight prices.

BUT fishing trip wise (freshwater) - it is the MAX!!!

(NB. My avatar snap shows me with a 104cm Suki barra caught the very first cast one morning with a Tilsan Green Mackerel lure after having caught about 15 barra from the same location in less than an hour the afternoon before, with the same lure - must have been a a purple patch...)
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

you guys wana hope your wives cant hack into your account and read this... :x lol

Let me see cost of fishing a 6.5 metre boat a 4b to tow it a shed to put it in fuel at 30L an hour, Maintenance, insurance, rego, fishing gear bait ice I think I am running at about $6000 a kilo for fish at the moment

If I hit the Pine river I will spend about $10 in plastics, $2 in jigheads and leader, and about $5 for fuel in the boat and $2 for fuel in the car. Take my own hot coffee and chewing gum for the day.
    If i yak Redcliffe it is about $10 in fuel for the ute and $5 in plastics and hooks.
    Jack.

I got taken out yesterday for a snapper fish down the gold coast (something different) The cost was 1/2 carton , a roast chook , a few munchies , block of pilchards ..... *& finished up with a couple of longnecks .......... awesome .
    Aside from the actual cost ........ the time on the water with a mate , solving the worlds problems makes it all worth it......... Gotta love fishing!

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Last week $2750 for a trip to Swains reef, not including fishing gear $300- $500 there this week at Glenlyon dam probs about $400.
    cheers rossco

upcoming trip.. 600 to rent a house.. 200 in fuel... have loaded up with 500 worth of tackle..
    normally though i have a big tackle "stash" that i just add to every now and again.. i never buy bait if i cant catch the bait or use lures then the fish arent worth catching lol.. but sometimes i wont need to spend anything for 6months.
    average trip is hard to calculate.. i fish mostly land based so i may be dragging in an old baitruner and use 2 or 3 hooks and a couple of sinkers and thats it.
    othertimes i will be throwing 30$ poppers and $20 divers..
    the moment i start worrying about the cost is the day i need to stop... isnt that what an addiction is all about
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post
    I guess if you share the costs with 3 or 4 guys it would work out pretty cheap, i would rather pay to fish with you and bring home a good haul than go on a charter and probably only have a couple of small squire in the esky.

cheers tim
    I am hearing you Tim on the antics of some disreputable charter boats. We would all be better off if these blokes were put out of business.

Probably better Tim if you call MARINE QLD on 3390 4657 & ask to speak to Jenny. At least that way you will be put on contact with genuine charter operators in your local area who will put you onto fish.

Please don't suggest Tim that "black market charters" are a better way to go, where you hook up with unregulated rec fishers who are "doing it for cash?" This is a very big NO NO.

Blokes who take charters on my boat are charged $230 a head.

P.S. I have a group of mates I go out with, the "Newport Neighbours F.C.". We put in $100 each for fuel & the boat costs. We then supply our own rods, reels, tackle, bait, lunch & drinks. And then act as mechanics to get the bloody things going before we leave harbour then spend hours cleaning the bloody thing (plus the fish) when we get home.

Mate, forget the cost if you own your own boat. You really don't want to know. Chartering is good if you find the right boat. Forget the cost & enjoy the journey. Otherwise none of us would have wives & kides either.......................

Cheers,
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Incredible View Post
    I am hearing you Tim on the antics of some disreputable charter boats. We would all be better off if these blokes were put out of business.

Probably better Tim if you call MARINE QLD on 3390 4657 & ask to speak to Jenny. At least that way you will be put on contact with genuine charter operators in your local area who will put you onto fish.

Please don't suggest Tim that "black market charters" are a better way to go, where you hook up with unregulated rec fishers who are "doing it for cash?" This is a very big NO NO.

Blokes who take charters on my boat are charged $230 a head.

P.S. I have a group of mates I go out with, the "Newport Neighbours F.C.". We put in $100 each for fuel & the boat costs. We then supply our own rods, reels, tackle, bait, lunch & drinks. And then act as mechanics to get the bloody things going before we leave harbour then spend hours cleaning the bloody thing (plus the fish) when we get home.

Mate, forget the cost if you own your own boat. You really don't want to know. Chartering is good if you find the right boat. Forget the cost & enjoy the journey. Otherwise none of us would have wives & kides either.......................

Cheers,
    Keith

Are you saying that if a fellow Ausfish member puts a post up in the "Going Fishing" section and expects some fuel money for the trip that he is classed as a "black market charter" ???

Why would i go on a charter for $230 or more when i can fish with mates offshore and just give them $50 for fuel.

cheers tim