Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The $$$ cost of a fishing trip?

Re: The $$$ cost of a fishing trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Ronnie H View Post
    In the end does it really matter what you spend---

Fishing is as they say --PRICELESS so to me it is worth every cent I spend to go out in the boat and even if i catch nothing i have still had a wonderful day on the water doing something i really love.

Ronnie
    I think you nailed it right there.
    If I'm suddenly completely broke (which is about to happen), then I simply scale back what I do. Take the canoe up the creeks if I can't afford the boat fuel. Pump yabbies if I can't afford bait. I doubt that it'll get that desperate (for every week), but I can certainly spend less on my fishing.... and I ain't giving it up for anything!!!
    Plus, 95% of my fishing trips, my son is with me... and that is PRICELESS!!!

Yeh it all adds up... Gear, food, fuel, about $100-$150...

Cheaper than a night on the piss!

Cheers
    Jim

my fishing trip the other day was to the fishmarket,bought 5 whole whiting total cost $10.50 ,total weight 600grams, total enjoyment Nil ,methinks i'd rather go fishing for them

COSTS

Typical variable costs:

Fuel $15 (4 stroke)
    Bait $15 (bought in bulk)
    Hooks $5 (Mostly fishing reefs so I tend to lose a few Gamakatsu gangsters)
    Car fuel used towing boat: $2 (LPG vehicle)

Ice is free because I freeze milk bottles of water in my fishing freezer at home

Other costs:
    Boat and trailer rego averaged per week: $5
    Boat insurance averaged per week: $5
    Annual motor service averaged per week: $10
    Other non specific boat maintenance averaged per week; $2
    VMR and Coastguard subscriptions averaged per week: $2.50

Depreciation on boat: $XXXXX per year
    Opportunity cost of capital spent on boat $XXXX per year

I have been fishing twice this week so that has cost me $74 in direct variable costs. Due to weather, I don't get to go fishing every week so the $200 per month that I budget for bait and fuel for fishing is probably about right. There are several other costs not included above - such as averaged weekly cost of fishing line and amortised cost of reels, bait freezer at home, etc but most of that is very discretionary.

BENEFITS

Fish meals: maybe $20 per week
    Happiness quotient: $2 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

BTW, my other hobby of woodwork may not be cheaper per week by any stretch of the imagination.

On the other hand, after a lifetime of weekly business travel, I am delighted to do absolutely no travel in my retirement. After a lifetime of living in and experiencing the artificiality of five star hotels and restaurants, I would pretty well pay money to not have to eat at a restaurant. After a lifetime of trying to be one of the lads following all of the popular spectator sports, I have realised that I am not a spectator and therefore spend absolutely zilch on attending any sporting events and spend only a modest amount per year on concerts and the like. ie I like "doing" and not "spectating"; fishing is a great "doing" activity.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    try having a boat in the water at a marina..about 200 / week whether you start the thing or not. Not in any rush to go back there.
    My wife has also quite rightly observed that I like to potter around with my boat because it is sitting in my yard where I can. (a "doing" activity). I could not do that if it were racked in a marina. I think that she is right.

Final observation: It is cheaper to go fishing than go to a doctor and indeed, for those of us who might be on blood pressure tablets etc, it is probably cheaper to go fishing than to pay your monthly chemist's bill.

A river sesh isnt 2 expensive prob just 15l of fuel and a top up of my goto lures and plastics but.... a pelagic session is 2 much 2 think about, the biggest problem is i dont eat fish so its not like even if i score big i dont gain or save anything jst the experience of being with the mates fighting out a great fish!!!

Also have to add in the equation the amount of fish you bring home to eat.
    If your like me, its not every trip, but it does happen

My average trip offshore from yeppoon is about $150-$200, thats 4 blokes,food and bait.

Usually you come back with average of 5-6kgs of fillets each(nothing to excessive pending bag limits ect) Similar fish sells for $30-40kg in the shop.

5kg x $30kg(usually quality reef fish is closer to $40)= $150

So when you think about it, your eating quality fresh reef fish for Free!+ had an awesome day on the water

Mod11

With all this hard earned dollars we spend on our leisure time, it amazes me that this is not turned into a big issue at election times.

Recreational anglers spend billions....yes BILLIONS of dollars on their passtime but when it comes to put a tick in a box at the ballot they will vote for personalities, who their dad's voted for or a 900 dollar stimulas or some other lame excuse.

We are getting shafted big time here in Queensland and for all the dollars spent we seem to be doing nothing to protect those dollars or leisure time.

Recreational fishing is the second biggest revenue source for this government and we get sweet F/A representation on decision making. We are an easy target.

FYI.... rec fishers in Aust put 1.85 billion dollars into the economy in 2001 and that is without income tax paid by the thousands that work within the industry and GST. ( figure at 2009 is closer to 3 billion. )

It will not matter how much you spend to go fishing or per kilo. Soon we'll be locked out of our waters.

Further, there are moves afoot to STOP ALL FISHING in the Coral Sea. That is from nth qld to Port macquarie. It is from 3nm offshore to 200nms. SO people, any offshore guys will be ######ed.

Didn't know about this....... ??????? Well Garret and Rudd have already declared it a Conservation Zone.....................another sneaky Xmas gift to rec fishoes.

Sorry to hijack the thread a little........

Ronnie is right, doesn't matter what it costs........ health benefits outweigh any associated costs.

chilli

Quote Originally Posted by castlemaine View Post
    There's been a thread like this prior.

How do you place a cost on ...

...a picture perfect day on the water with you only, your rod, no wife & no kids & no fish
    ...the face of your kid when he/she pulls up a good fish
    ...swimming on a beach whether it South Straddie or Horseshoe Bay on a great Qld summer's day.
    ... spending quality time with real discussions, with the family ie no ipods, dvds, xboxes, wii, etc
    ... a day with your mates speaking crap and laughing your guts out

$500 seems insignificant.

Cheers
    Spot on mate, nothing better!
    Cost for me is cheaper though, around 50-60 bucks in my own boat.
    Unless i go out with the old boys, ouch in the pocket.
    Fishobloke

You guys get off easy. Factor in the cost of alcohol on a 5 day boys only houseboat trip and then come talk to me.

I estimate my upcoming Mondy trip would be around the $1000 mark, even using the company ute. A day in the bay around $100.
    Am now taking sponsorship applications "L"
    Steve

Chilli - can you please point me in the direction of where I can find out more info on the 'conservation zone'. I searched the other night, but came up empty after reading a similar EcoFisher post.

Not doubting anyone, but I think a few links pointing to some reliable, relevant details on what is being considered wouldn't go astray. I for one would be interested in doing more to oppose this if I had all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by chilli View Post

Further, there are moves afoot to STOP ALL FISHING in the Coral Sea. That is from nth qld to Port macquarie. It is from 3nm offshore to 200nms. SO people, any offshore guys will be ######ed.

chilli

Unfortunately it won't just be the offshore guys that will screwed, where do you think they will be fishing????????

Mark

I try not to put a price on fishing, it costs what it costs.

[quote=finga;1121018]But sadly that still makes a kilo of fish worth $283.89

quote]

That some cheap fish I hate to think what my per kilo price is

If I can keep my trip costs under or about $2,000 I consider myself lucky.... Just part of the joy of living in Mt Isa........... Consequently I don't get out to often...

Bill.

Ignoring the costs of buying a boat in the 1st place, all my fishing crew chip in for fuel which at times seems more than generous, I run a Yammy 4s 115 which is surprisingly economical and often my deckies more than cover the fuel.. So every other trip deckies who paid generously last time get a free trip. When your mates who come out are genuinely looking to contribute to a good day of fun, the expense becomes insignificant, I don't really focus on it then.

In the preparation though, I have worked on reducing the costs by:
    • Trying to stick to one type of fishing. Never tried fly fishing, don't want to. There are a lot of pelagics out at the moment, but I am not rushing out to get a bucket load of skirted lures without consulting someone else who can show me one that worked on a recent outing.
    • I make my own Jig Heads. The dollar Value of what I have in stock after making them would be hundreds and I save about 1 or two dollars a hook.
    • Whatever plastics are left over from a trip are looked after in a sealed container.
    • None of my gear is in the upper range of quality. Penn applause reels, ATC and Berkley dropshots, when washed in warm water after a trip certainly look after me. Casualties happen occasionally, but you can damage or break a custom rod in the $500.00 class as easily as I broke one of mine recently. If a reel becomes noisy, poor drag or difficult to turn, I have spare bearings, (know where to get them), drag washer grease and a little ingenuity to service them myself. My Applause 4000 is now 5 years old and still going strong, gets used every trip!!
    Hang the expense after all said and done, I've done all my research in preparation to try minimise costs. A great day on the water with experienced deckhands( can't guarantee that on a charter unless you get the numbers yourself) who are mates... Was I out of pocket $50.00 last time or $150.00?? Don't care!! It's always priceless getting on the water with mates.

Scalem