Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The $$$ cost of a fishing trip?

Re: The $$$ cost of a fishing trip?

For me up here in the top end, usually 3hr drive each way, so 60-70L of diesel, whats that, $100?
    60-70L of Unleaded for the boat, $100.
    Ice, $10, Carton of piss, $50, food, $30.
    Lost tackle, $$$50 at least.....

Definitely adds up... $340-$350 give or take..

for those that do a bit of game or long distance offshore stuff, I guess when the total cost of ownership and running expenses for the boat are tallied up, it would be far cheaper to book a charter when you go fishing, then you have nothing to maintain or tow, nothing to store in the yard, no cleaning up after, no bait freezers and stuff, in the end we would probably be miles in front.

True Noelm but to heck with that, the boats are the only mistress I'm allowed to have.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

oh mate i work and fish but work kinda takes over hrs wise but i cant take all my fishing gear with me ive got way to much i am a tackle junky i would have at least 100 hard bodies and the same 100 packs of sp three tackle boxes 20 to 30 boxes of hooks sinkers everywhere 20 rods 10 reals no crap iether spare spools of line spare spools for 4 of my reels i could go on but i wont bore you i have down sized from a 20 ft glass boat to a 4.1 tinnie getting to old to handle the big boat $20 bucks fuel and a bag of ice but i still use live bait
    tight lines hilly

Man I wish I had some of your blokes fishing costs.. I guess its the price you pay to do what you love most

The past few trips have averaged this

360ltrs of fuel in the boat $450
    120ltrs in the 4x4 to the destination $140
    Bait usually around $120.00
    Ice $20.00

Total $730.00 not including food and tackle ....

Gee I hate looking at it on paper but hey it's my choice to do what i love best.... Not sure you can put a price on it..

Regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Reefmaster View Post
    Man I wish I had some of your blokes fishing costs.. I guess its the price you pay to do what you love most

The past few trips have averaged this

360ltrs of fuel in the boat $450
    120ltrs in the 4x4 to the destination $140
    Bait usually around $120.00
    Ice $20.00

Total $730.00 not including food and tackle ....

Gee I hate looking at it on paper but hey it's my choice to do what i love best.... Not sure you can put a price on it..

Regards
    Greg

I guess if you share the costs with 3 or 4 guys it would work out pretty cheap, i would rather pay to fish with you and bring home a good haul than go on a charter and probably only have a couple of small squire in the esky.

cheers tim

I'd probably send somehwere around $50 for an average trip, includes fuel for boat and car, drinks, food, ice and terminal tackle I might lose. I haven't bought bait in god knows how long, I either catch my own and fish livies (usually have a few left over for dead baits next time) or use lures of various descriptions.

If I'm fishing in Tin Can Inlet/ Sandy Straits then $50 fuel for car and boat. $10 bait. I don't include food and drinks because I would have them anyway. Outside is a different story. At least $100 fuel just for the boat, $50 for bait and tackle just depends, some days none and other days you seem to go through heaps. Always go through a couple of bait jigs but they pay for themselves.
    Jelifish

I don't like charters much, well they are ok i suppose, much prefer the freedom of owning a boat and going wherever the wind takes me, even if i don't get out much.

$110 fuel
    $12 oil
    $10 bait
    $10 diesel

$142 cash gets me a full day on the water about 10 times a year (last year anyway) and up to 3 hours total engine time for 140km range but....

If a person also assumes boat/trailer rego, depreciation, interest, servicing etc in my instance I can add another per trip cost of:

$30 rego
    $5 servicing
    $50 depreciation.

Dunno about the depreciation fully as i built my boat up myself pretty cheap so it's minimal.

That makes for a bare to the bones $227 per trip.

MMmm that's getting up there....

cheers fnq

I hate threads like this... If I wrote in this thread and the Missus ever read it.. that would be the end of me fishing trips
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Hi all
    Haven't really added it up. Who cares as long as we are doing something we enjoy. Started a thread awhile back on what we spend on gear , ice,fuel etc and to be truthfull if we tallied it all up over a year we would all probably have a coronary.

Besides fuel, ice, something to eat and drink and bait we probably spend more on tackle. Last visit to a tackle shop and we walked out with a handfull of bits and pieces and nearly $200 bucks worse off. That was a light day??

In the end does it really matter what you spend---

Fishing is as they say --PRICELESS so to me it is worth every cent I spend to go out in the boat and even if i catch nothing i have still had a wonderful day on the water doing something i really love.

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    I don't like charters much, well they are ok i suppose, much prefer the freedom of owning a boat and going wherever the wind takes me, even if i don't get out much.

$110 fuel
    $12 oil
    $10 bait
    $10 diesel

$142 cash gets me a full day on the water about 10 times a year (last year anyway) and up to 3 hours total engine time for 140km range but....

If a person also assumes boat/trailer rego, depreciation, interest, servicing etc in my instance I can add another per trip cost of:

$30 rego
    $5 servicing
    $50 depreciation.

Dunno about the depreciation fully as i built my boat up myself pretty cheap so it's minimal.

That makes for a bare to the bones $227 per trip.

MMmm that's getting up there....

cheers fnq
    fnq..try having a boat in the water at a marina..about 200 / week whether you start the thing or not. Not in any rush to go back there.

dont want to think about it ,

One of the guys in our club books In The Black for a sole charter at least once a month during the year....sometimes twice amonth during gamefish season. He takes his son and a coupla mates...or son's mates. He is not short of a quid and could probably afford to own his own boat of similar ilk, but works on the theory that.....He doesnt have to worry about mooring a boat, doesnt have to clean it afterwards, has a paid deckie to look after the fishos, food and drinks are provided, because he is the sole charterer...he still has the choice of where and when he fishes, and what food is provided (by negotiation of course). He is a bit of a tackle junky though so he still has that expense. And he doesnt have his money tied up in an asset that will never return its value (after expenses depreciation etc). He also gets to fish rather than worrying about driving the boat.

Greg

well im very lucky my wife doesnt go on this web site well
    car fuel there and back $30
    boat fuel $200
    bait $50
    ice $15
    food +drinks $15
    all for a good day out