Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The $$$ cost of a fishing trip?

The $$$ cost of a fishing trip?

Hi All,
    Just curious on what people spend on their average fishing trip?
    Thought it might be an interesting thread....
    Me?
    I'm in love with my RJayz burley cannister, so there's $10 for their burley packet.
    Could probably count on another $10-15 for frozen bait, just because I like a variety of baits.
    Probably at least one packet of SPs, another $10.
    I usually go through about 10L of fuel, so with oil that's about $15.
    And toss in another $5 for some hooks as I don't tend to reuse them for more than one trip....
    So, about $50. And that's excluding rod, reel and line upgrades/replacements...
    And I'm sure there's people who typically spend much, much more....

Of course, we can always paddle our canoe out, pump some yabbies, and fish away for a cost free day... and with an impending divorce, I'm sure I'll be having to fish 'cheaper' in the near future!

So, what about the rest of you?

Cheers!

Re: The $$$ cost of a fishing trip?

When i fish with mates i chip in for fuel, usually supply the bags of ice and supply the Red Rock Deli chips, I don't chip in for bait as i usually only fish with lures.

So it costs me between $20 and $50 for petrol
    2 or 3 bags of ice costs about $12
    A couple of bags of chips costs about $8
    A bottle of water and a couple of cans of V costs me around $6 or $7

So about $77 all up for a days fishing

I rarely have to purchase any tackle as my "GEAR BAG" consists of plenty

$600 or so worth of TT jigheads, around $280 worth of plastics, around $350 worth of small bream hardbodies, around $200 worth of vibrating blades, around $70 worth of flurocarbon leader, around $200 worth of bigger hardbodies, around $150 worth of surface lures and around $50 worth of metal slugs. There is probably around $50 worth of other stuff in there as well like weedless hooks for bullet weighting plastics etc.

So if you include all the gear in my "GEAR BAG" then it costs me a fortune to go fishing

Yes i am a tackle junkie and need HELP

cheers tim

I don't even want to think about how much as it would scare me but probably around $200 a trip
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post
    $600 or so worth of TT jigheads, around $280 worth of plastics, around $350 worth of small bream hardbodies, around $200 worth of vibrating blades, around $70 worth of flurocarbon leader, around $200 worth of bigger hardbodies, around $150 worth of surface lures and around $50 worth of metal slugs. There is probably around $50 worth of other stuff in there as well like weedless hooks for bullet weighting plastics etc.

So if you include all the gear in my "GEAR BAG" then it costs me a fortune to go fishing

Yes i am a tackle junkie and need HELP

cheers tim
    Boy, do I hear you there!!!
    I'm addicted to SPs and probably have close to 100 bags of different plastics (OK, probably somewhere between 70-80 bags, based on my last count MANY months ago!!), and easily a few hundred $ on hardbodies!!! Especially poppers!
    I would say I easily spend close to $50 a week on tackle (lures, SPs, hooks etc), amassing my collection, but I don't end up going through too much on a trip out.
    I'm the biggest sucker for advertising. Be it DVD or magazine, if they use/promote something that I don't have, I'm off to the tackle store! It's not unusual for me to walk into the tackle store and be asked 'hey, where've you been, we only seen you twice this week?'!!!

Last week i went to charltons at Redbank and bought $100 worth of TT jig heads, when i got home i started putting them in my jig head container, my wife said have you got enough jig heads in that container or what, so what else could i do but go back the following day and buy another $100 worth.

Maybe she was be sarcastic, i dunno......... I just thought she might have thought i needed some more

cheers tim

Damned67

How would you use $5 in oil with only 10 litres of fuel?

I bought my current boat almost 2 years ago, after around 45 hours I still have not used the 4 litre container of oil.

Actually I would say all of my trips (estuary fishing) would cost me less than $20 including fuel. Would use more in the vehicle getting there and back than the cost of the fishing trip.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MyEscape View Post
    Damned67

How would you use $5 in oil with only 10 litres of fuel?

Steve
    Must be ETEC oil ....=.... $$$$$$$
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

It's best not to even think of the total cost to go fishing. But a trip off Ballina with bait around $50 cheap day out (that's for two). To play a round of golf and hire a buggy is $45 ahead, so my day out fishing I consider cheap. My hobby is fishing so to trickle a Little money into it is no big deal. Yes I run an Etec. Mojo

30HP Two stroke.....
    10L @ $1.30/L= $13
    1:50 ratio= 200mL
    1L bottle of 2 stroke oil ~$10
    200mL ~ $2
    Fuel + oil= ~$15

Something like that

There's been a thread like this prior.

How do you place a cost on ...

...a picture perfect day on the water with you only, your rod, no wife & no kids & no fish
    ...the face of your kid when he/she pulls up a good fish
    ...swimming on a beach whether it South Straddie or Horseshoe Bay on a great Qld summer's day.
    ... spending quality time with real discussions, with the family ie no ipods, dvds, xboxes, wii, etc
    ... a day with your mates speaking crap and laughing your guts out

$500 seems insignificant.

Cheers

you need to take into consideration the type of fishing, like I might go whiting fishing, the cost is next to nothing, I just walk to the beach, catch my own bait and use maybe 2 hooks, but then next trip might be over the shelf for Marlin, so the cost could be $100 fuel, $15 Ice, $1,000's rods and reels (of course these are not consumed) food, even swivels at about $6 a go are expensive, but then a Snapper trip for me is about $5 fuel, maybe some pillies (I usually use Tuna for bait, caught while gamefishing) and maybe 1 bag of ice in the summer, so it is all variable on fishing styles.

For me where I am ATM ie freshwater dam
    Shrimps for bait...nicks
    500ml of fuel for the boat.....$0.75 (only have to go 600m to the spot from where we launch)
    Fuel for car to go 15-20km round trip...$7.00 max
    tackle.... might loose a hook every month so...didly squat.
    So for that price I can go for 2 sessions a day if time permits. I normally fish (If i go fishing that is) for 2 hours around dawn and dusk.
    And to boot we don't have to wash the boat if I don't want to.

But sadly that still makes a kilo of fish worth $283.89

Oops. Forgot the SIP's permit...whatever that's worth per year divided by 2 (the number of trips per year it seems)
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Ting fishing costs me about $20 for fuel for car and boat as i dig or pump my own bait,
    But barra fishing the Dams comes at a much higher price
    a normal trip 2days with fuel ,food drinks, camp fee's no change out of $300 then you add the about $1000 worth of lures and plastics plus i normally spend about $50 a trip on more lures ect then 3 rods and reels at $450 each

shane

It depends on where I'm fishing really.

- $6 - $20 on bait, unless I catch my own
    - $15 for food
    - Another $10 for hot chips or cold drinks (if there's a shop around)
    - I don't own a boat so no fuel costs

Say around, $40 max for my trips. Seems like an insignificant price, compared to some of you guys.

Thanks,
    Kaidon
    Conservation NOT preservation!

Quote Originally Posted by STUIE63 View Post
    I don't even want to think about how much as it would scare me but probably around $200 a trip
    Stuie

Ditto.........