Thread: Are ther any Redclaw in Monduran - or close by.

Are ther any Redclaw in Monduran - or close by.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies to my other post - extremely helpful. As I have said, we are driving up to Monduran for a bit of a holiday in May from VIC and was wondering if there are any redclaw in the Dam and if not any place close by.
    Thanks Mocca

Re: Are ther any Redclaw in Monduran - or close by.

Hey Mocca.

Surprised none of the 'Crew have answered this one yet. Mate I've never fished Monduran in my life, but will have a stab in the dark and say that there would be a few Redclaw in the Lake, just like other Barra Dam's anywhere in Qld. They are a self-sustaining species that will occur naturally in most places.

Been awile since I've gone Redclawin' but whats always worked well for me is a bit of rockmelon, boiled potato & a bit of fried chicken (left overs), but anything will more then likely work. Try & put your pots sitting on the bottom in about 6-8m of water where it's well oxygynated, such as windy featureless banks. Rock seems be there most preferred structure, but they eat weed like theres no tomorrow. If possible try and avoid leaving your pots away from Barra hotspots as this pisses switched on fisho's off no end, hence try and find featureless banks that have very little depth variation. Have moved thousands of pots in my life, most have been there for extended periods of time! Remember, 4 pots per person.

Give you a lot of credit if your coming all the way up from Vic mate, especially if your towing a boat with ya. When Tinaroo was firing in the 90's a guy by the name of Neil Shultz made over 20 round trips from Vic to Tinaroo (Cairns Highlands) and in the process got a World Record barra. Enjoy your time barra fishin.!

Cheers

Theo
    TT

Quote Originally Posted by Mocman View Post
    Hi Guys, Thanks for the replies to my other post - extremely helpful. As I have said, we are driving up to Monduran for a bit of a holiday in May from VIC and was wondering if there are any redclaw in the Dam and if not any place close by.
    Thanks Mocca

Sorry Mocca ..... I missed this one

I'm yet to see people targeting them in Monduran ....... so they may not be viable

though , I have seen yabby remains on the bank......

Lake Awoonga .... 90 mins north
    Lake Borumba .... 2 hours south
    Lake Somerset 3 hours south west ..... these 3 do have redclaw

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Maybe not at Mondy, if so we would have heard at the camp kitchen I am sure.

They are illegal and were introduced to Somerset. There are certainly plenty there, much to the delight of the bait eaters.

The problem is they compete with the native blue yabie.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Redclaw are declared as pests in SEQ and DPIF says there are no size or bag limits, so enjoy

Peter

Heaps at Faust .