View Poll Results: Spotty or Schoolie

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spotted Mackeral

186 76.54%
  • School Mackeral

43 17.70%
  • Mongrel hybrid with white patch on fin???

14 5.76%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spotty or Schoolie?

Re: Spotty or Schoolie?

Quote Originally Posted by geeffa View Post
    u r kiding finding time;if i served it up to u ,u wouldn,t know the difference.
    Not off your BBQ plate i wouldn't by the sounds of it! Anyway if i'm going to eat Mackeral i'll stick to spanish i reckon

Ian

Ps Schoolies are a bit soapier imho.
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

So that's why my spanish tastes like porterhouse ????????

LP.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Out of the Thousands of spots i have caught i will say that is a Spottie 100%...... a doggie has a way more distinctive mark on its Dorsil, also the spots have more and larger spots and are also more bunched then a schoolie....... That white spot on its fin could be from ur fish rubbing the bottom of ur esky as it is NOT a schoolie In my opinion anyway

Cheers
    Matty

Spot, no question
    As far as eating goes, spaniard over a spottie over a doggie (don't mind the bigger doggies though 4~5kg ish), over a sharkie

Cheers

Bill

Nice fish.

This does make me scared though - that a whole team of people here, some I respect as anglers far more experienced than I, and yet as a team we cant be 100% sure on IDing this fish.. Ignorance is no excuse they say - but gee wizz - I *think* this is a spotty, at least thats what I would have called it, but then the mod who has a DPI reference of anatomical indentification states otherwise... so I guess my call would be wrong. This difficult species ID realistically could land us in a real spot of bother with fisheries / fines, even when you try to do the right thing....

It's a trout...............

Well... you are closer than 24.27% of people , but please, be my guest to try and convince the dpi of that.

I recon the answer is an onboard barbie......cook it quick and eat the evidence.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

its a spottie no questions.......

These are the two species, doggies on left and spotties on right
    Yours is a spottie.

seriously Webby if they don't know then they should take up knitting
    it is plain as day which is which

cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Good choice of photos Webby to show the difference.

I would have called it a spottie and filleted it to the dorsal and then steaked it from there up. Steaks on the BBQ and the tail section fillets in the pan or beer batter

Mind you, the last schoolie I caught lasted all of about 8 minutes before it went into the pan for a Schoolie Burger. Bloody beautiful!

Cheers,
    Myles

Its funny how much confusion there is about fish species...even amoungst "serious" anglers.

I was watching one of the many fishing shows around the other day (may have been Ifish, but im not sure.) Who ever it was, he caught a Grassy...then proceeded to call it a red throat...even opened up its mouth to show the red throat (we know grassies have a red throat too). It wasnt even edited out later on.

Your fish is a spot. A keen eye will pick up the colour difference even when the fish is still in the water.

Mackeral are easy to tell apart....should see some of the discussions that have circulated around on billfish ID.

spotty mack

They should just change the reg to the same size what ever they chose, no confusion then.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.