Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Milky Condamine

Re: The Milky Condamine

Water has risen since photo's were taken and still rainning, northside of town is cut off, no way out of town as the roads are cut in all directions, have heard the whole town of Amby is flooded, 7 feet over the bridge & just under the bridge at Mitchell.
    G'day Haji-Baba water should make it to NSW as all the storages should be full up here by now, lets hope they don't suck it dry.

The Condamine has rises occuring from Killarney all the way down and BOM has issued flood summaries on their website. particular note is the water coming in from the Dalby area. Looks like a good fresh will come down the river, and join the massive flow that will enter the river further south with all the water from Roma Mitchell Charleville areas. Charley Ck is rising at Seven Oaks as well.
    A great input of course into the whole Murray darling system, lets hope it will get right thru?
    Will the Milky Condamine get agood flush so we can see some clean water later in the year...lets hope so.
    Flatzie

Flatzie, you mentioned "Seven Oaks".

At about 1952 a man from Jandowae, whom I know jumped into the Creek and pulled out a 40 lb. Murray cod.

The Cod had chased a school of little fish up into a weed bed and became caught in the weeds. I think it was mentioned in "The Dalby Herald" at the time.

My father found a big cod dead, in a chook pen left behind after a big flood in
    Burra Burri creek. I can't remember what year but probably in the 30's.

There is still good water in some of those big holes up there where the creeks have not been interfered with.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Haji
    They are great yarns mate, my Dad tells stories like that of big cod in the Rocky and Columboola Creek. Amazing what the creeks and rivers were like back then, and even more so if left alone would return to such a state.
    Here's a poem for all you Condamine country lovers

Condamine Country

And out where river she oaks sweep and sway
    And cattle seek shelter this rainy Autumn day
    The land of creeks rejoices, drinks it in
    The Cockies dam is full to brim

The Brigalow country often partched
    neath sun and heat for seasons past
    now cattle fatten, wheat crops thrive
    The Bush returns.. its come alive

Deep down in mud the crayfish stir
    Wet Butcher bird now sings a song he must
    And down by Condamine's sacred bends
    A wood duck swings and swerves at Dusk

Its bounty, life and romance hold
    We love this river in our blood
    Till dying day like old blokes past
    We live to see her banks in flood

Flatzie

Quote Originally Posted by Haji-Baba View Post
    Flatzie, you mentioned "Seven Oaks".

At about 1952 a man from Jandowae, whom I know jumped into the Creek and pulled out a 40 lb. Murray cod.

The Cod had chased a school of little fish up into a weed bed and became caught in the weeds. I think it was mentioned in "The Dalby Herald" at the time.

My father found a big cod dead, in a chook pen left behind after a big flood in
    Burra Burri creek. I can't remember what year but probably in the 30's.

There is still good water in some of those big holes up there where the creeks have not been interfered with.

Have fun Haji-Baba
    Hey Haji

Don't forget to start writing that book !?? These great stories should remain after all your days mate.

John
    ( Stirrin the pot!)

Might do that and might finish up in Jail; too.

Haji-Baba

yer great news of the rain in central Qld. I recived a sms from a guy working out at Chinchilla. He said that someone caught a cod at the KFC corner in roma.
    That KFC must be good bait, or the cod were after the cockroaches that are in the shop.

Smile Re: The Milky Condamine

Quote Originally Posted by hkconc View Post
    yer great news of the rain in central Qld. I recived a sms from a guy working out at Chinchilla. He said that someone caught a cod at the KFC corner in roma.
    That KFC must be good bait, or the cod were after the cockroaches that are in the shop.
    funny as,hkconk!!

Could have been a few around at the bakery too, as I caught cod years ago in mice plagues with daring mice in them that tried to swim accross the Condamine at night. Probably been waiting for a chance to get a few more off the flour bags!
    John

It was a yellabelly caught at the KFC corner as it was the overflow water from the railway dam which was stocked with 1500 fingerlings about 10 years ago, the photo will be in the local paper next week.

cheers rossco

cheers rosco,
    its a wonder they were still alive at that corner. I done work at the old mobil site some years back, (and never got paid for it, whats 60 grand)

the water was about a foot and a half deep there so plenty of water there for them it is well known by the locals that when the dam overflows that there are a few fish about.
    Whats 60grand, alot of fishing trips in my eyes.

cheers rossco

yer, that would amount to about 120 deep sea fishing trips. The owner of that servo took me for $150k all up.

Anyone got any more pics of the current water levels?

Cheers

I have been fortunate enough (I think) to be invited out to Condi by Chong over the last couple of years and what a place it is, I wouldn't really care if it had no water in it or it was muddy, it is just a fantastic spot.

I think that staying on private property out there is also a blessing. Nice to hear that fingerlings have been released into the system.

Kevin, if you have any left we could collect them from you, have a great little spot I know where they could be released.

I'm still a bit green on the Condi trips but love them and always look forward to them, probably at the stage I enjoy it more than going off shore.

Anyway, some good comments on this thread and valuable info.

Cheers

Paul

I threw a line in at the yarramlong weir on wednsday. Pulled 3 euros as well as a 2 lb jew. Still better that sitting around with a broken ankle in front to the tv & computer.
    It had a .500mm fresh in it then, but now has risen to around 1.500.
    Imight have another go tomorrow.