Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Milky Condamine

Re: The Milky Condamine

Hi to all contributing to this thread

Don't know, but am hoping that this big weather system at present from Olga may kick some serious water into the system. It is raining right thru the downs and Granite belt. Here's Hoping!!

John

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    Hi to all contributing to this thread

Don't know, but am hoping that this big weather system at present from Olga may kick some serious water into the system. It is raining right thru the downs and Granite belt. Here's Hoping!!

John

Hi John,
    My mate at condi says the river was running until end of Jan, not a big flow but toped up all the holes . Bit more rain from the system you mentioned, looks like river is getting a bit . hope it gets some more before May.

Cheers

Im in Tara just had good rain yesterday ( 6th ) 60ml at my place,still clouds and thunder around.Tara fishing club stocks Undulla creek nearly every year,should be another batch going in soon(feb/march) friend of mine in chinchilla recently went fishing where he wasnt suppose to and got carp after carp just below the wier he had a great time fishin but didnt get the fish he wanted,they were big fish to.
    The lagoon in Tara has carp in it and it is very muddy looking has been for years apparently ( ive only been here couple of years )if you follow the creek down stream in different spots it is clearer looking but still dirty, need to get all the city fishos out here one weekend at the same time and fish the f@#* out of it and get them bloody pommie fish out of here and send em back LOL

Interesting info on the Undulla Outdoor Guy.

I love that creek Have fished it down around Meandarra/ The Gums way a lot years ago. I found a website today all about the Condamine River with some amazing stats about river flow etc. I will post it up tomorrow with some info and the link. This info will really add some thought to our whole discussion on the Milky Condamine.
    Cheers
    John

Yeah as I was saying, I found this sight which has flood records for the Condamine catchment which shows the Condamine has not had a Major Flood level at Condamine township in 13 yrs! Several moderate levels but no broken banks for that long is pretty amazing. Have a study of the records on this website and tell us what you think.
    As I read it, sounds like the long dry particularly in the catchment of the inner Downs could be proving to be a major contributor to the milky Condamine.

http://www.bom.gov.au/hydro/flood/qld/brochures/condamine_cotswold/condamine_cotswold.shtml

Cheers
    John
    PS.. Note the records at Tummaville right at the headwaters. There is no major flood there for a long long time either.

Odes

Note the lack of floods in the last 15 years.

It has a run now but mainly below Condamine I think.

Not real big as I remember them as a kid.

Have fun Haji- Baba

The Wambo is flowing at the crossroads and the Chinchilla weir is getting some water in it as well but the level isnt getting any higher cause Sun Water in there infinate wisdom is letting the water out for irrigation down stream.
    a lot of rain came down around Kogan so were getting the run off Tara lagoon is brimming as is Undulla creek,more rain expected sunday monday here monday tuesday on the coast so will see what happens

also i dont believe Dalby weir got much at all and last report was there water supply was empty

i live a warwick and tho river here is pretty average. very dissapointing when you see the council cutting down four trees 30-40cm trunks down to pull out a larger tree that has fallen in the river. they have no idea.

heres some picks from the flood in 08 and a tool that drove through it with a kid.

we need floods like this every few years, the waters usually about 1m deep, by 2~m wide at the crossing.

heres another pick from the condamine right in town after a half decent flow.

shrimps crawlling up the the weir just out of water after dark.

all the turbity in the water means theres very little food for the native fry when they breed hence a lot of places have to rely on stocking even when there are heaps of adults around, its not all about over fishing.

cheers
    mick

Great pics and info Batters! Hope we see more of this during this summer. Did you look at the flood records and the info on the web site? I put up a link. Also how far from Warwick is Tummerville and is it upstream?

tummerville? never heard of it. are you talking about tannymorelle spelling*, warwicks not very far away from the headwaters which makes it so sad that the river is so bad so close to the headwaters. cod still breed naturally right up in the head waters tho, i assume is coz they get regular floods/half floods and it clears up well.

im actually studying aquaculture and ive been provided with a fair bit of info on the fishes themselves. the info thier getting on freshwater fish seems quite old when you compare it to what the info other groups have gathered in relation to what thier trying to achive in aquaculture.

i wont get into it here ofcourse unless someone feels the need for me to tell them. but one study in relation to breeding murray cod for stocking showed that fish in unstocked waters were in distinct size clases all aged to the years of decent floods. just seems to me that the people looking after the rivers (or at least have that title) dont have all the info, or they chose not to ackowledge it.

cheers
    mick

Tummarville is a weather station on the Condamine but Ive found its way down stream from you. So the river still clears up at Warwick area? Also do you have access to rainfall figures for Warwick? like has your rainfall on the inner Downs been below average over the last 10 years?
    John

Tummaville is south of Brookstead near Pittsworth. If you spell it right you will find it on Google maps.

Odes20, I live on the Downs and we have had below average rainfall for two decades.

Regards Eleanor

Dogwood creek has been three quarter banker this week. and last due to some rain up barakula way maybe but pretty much across all that country round Miles. Filled up the lagoons on our place which hasn't hap[pened for ten years or more. Just remember, ten days after the fresh, the mossies and sandies move in, and they're not these pissie little ones you get on the coast. THey ttake a lump out of you the size of an egg! SO at least that'll get down to warkon and put some water in the Balonne.

Quote Originally Posted by fishel View Post
    Tummaville is south of Brookstead near Pittsworth. If you spell it right you will find it on Google maps.

Odes20, I live on the Downs and we have had below average rainfall for two decades.

Regards Eleanor
    Hi Elanor

Thanks for that. Did you get to see the graphs on the website I posted ?

It certainly matches up with your claim. As I write I am watching big storm fronts on the radar further east to the catchment ares
    John

Oh mate those sandflies! I remember them as a boy at Chinchilla when the creek would flood and then go down they would hatch out of the mud and eat you alive. Also would be thick around the Condamine after floods, black mongrels! Used to stir up the dogs as well.
    Great to see a good flood going thru south of Condamine from all the Roma. Yuelba etc and Miles /Dogwood water...but
    There still is a huge need of huge rain in the headwaters and along the eastern downs to really wind up a beauty along the Condamine.
    Especially in the never clear up zones Odes20 is on about. As i write there is some serious rain coming thru that area now. Looks good on the radar, but we need an unusual weather event to get over the range and do the job.
    The last lot of heavy rain that hit the hinterland behind the Gold Coast was surprisingly close, but east of the catchment, so frustrating to watch on the rainfall reports.
    "All the Rivers Run"
    Flatzie