Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Milky Condamine

Re: The Milky Condamine

Encore::::

Take Jinghi Creek at Warra / Brigalow now a drain and levies along the main channel.

Jandowae Creek levied to increase the flow and confine it to one channel.

All the "Little Plain" country starved for water, trapped and taken for Ring Tanks.
    Just have a look at the dead box trees near Wyobie.

"Dead Mans Gully" levied and trapped by weirs.

"Nudley/ Burra Burri Creek", pumped to a standstill.

"The Nudley" flowed through in January 2009, for first time in years.
    I actually had a drink out of it. Beautiful flowing water.

"Charlies Creek" hasen't had a run for ages above the junction of "The Nudley".

"Pelican Lagoons" pumped.

Holes I fished in as a boy dry, never been dry before in the history of white man, why??

"Branch Creek" had a small run just before Xmas 2009.

I saw "The Condamine" on a Monday afternoon 5-6 years ago 3 meters deep at Cecil Plains. By wednesday afternoon it was a trickle.

I suppose that water went down a big hole in the river bed.

Ask your self why a lot of the big river gums are dying.

Enough, I am getting as mad as a hornet just thinking about it all.

Maybe you younger blokes can get it back on track, I have tried but lost out.

By.

i am happy to inform that 7000 cod finglings got release around the chinchilla area today, by the chinchilla fishing club.

Thanks Haji- Baba for your very sobering thoughts. Your knowledge of this river amazes me!
    Its sad that so few have woken up to the fact that this great land is a dry continent and that ambitions of wealth thru irrigation have proven to be destructive in massive proportions right thru to the Murray mouth in Sth Australia.
    I have no idea how long it will take anyone in politics to get the will and then how determined they must be to buy back the lion share of water allocations, licenses, permission to pump on all her tributaries.

Thanks Haji

John

Quote Originally Posted by kevin jackson View Post
    i am happy to inform that 7000 cod finglings got release around the chinchilla area today, by the chinchilla fishing club.
    Great news! A
    Are you in the club? Hope they can do yellas as well

Thanks for the info
    John

Hi Kevin,
    that is good news and great work, any down stream of the weir?

odes, no not part of the club but give them access to the condmine river on our place,

chong, they went every where any where there is water at the moment,

So Kevin are you upstream of the weir at Chinchilla or downstream?

I know one bloke in the fishing Club their . Bruce Wedrat , He is my cousin. Been in it for years. Do you know him?
    John

There's been no good rain out there for years, and any water that does get down there gets sucked out quick smart.
    So shines a good deed in a weary world
    - William S Shakespeare and William S Wonka_

upstream of the weir and yes i do know of bruce,

odes, no not part of the club but give them access to the condmine river on our place,

chong, they went every where any where there is water at the moment,
    KJ,
    thats great hope the little buggers do well, does the club need access to other parts of the river? We will be coming out end of April, coming thru Chinchilla from Maryborough to Condi, will be at Condi pub a couple of times welcome to come for a coldie or three
    Cheers

i don't think that it is problem getting access more having enough cod and yella to release, and water to put them in.

I see the condi had a flow of around 1.500 at tummaville a week or so back. I crossed the river a few days later at Ceicel plains and they tell me it was only up around half a meter for a day or so. You can guess where the water went hey.

Hi there guys. Been away from the forums for a while and just noted this important topic.

The Dawson has suffered the same fate over the years. I remember when I was a kid, watching yellas taking my baited hook in the, then, clear water of the Moura weir. Near Duaringa we would fish in tanin stained waters.

Now days ... mud ... mud .. and who knows what else. No carp as far as I know.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cq freshie View Post
    Hi there guys. Been away from the forums for a while and just noted this important topic.

The Dawson has suffered the same fate over the years. I remember when I was a kid, watching yellas taking my baited hook in the, then, clear water of the Moura weir. Near Duaringa we would fish in tanin stained waters.

Now days ... mud ... mud .. and who knows what else. No carp as far as I know.

Cheers
    Sad to hear that freshie. I fished in the Dawson near Taroom occasionally with my Dad and uncle when I was a kid. Saw Platypus and also Dawson River Barra were plentiful. (Saratoga) Was great stream then.

I think one of the problems is Goverments allow Water Resource Beurocrats to see our rivers as just a conduit to carry water, which they decide is a resource to sell., so water is sold with no proper respect to the river itself. So really the River itself as a living ecosystem has not been valued enough. I have no idea how this will ever be turned around when one considers the huge part played by irrigation in the rural economy these days.

We have water harvesting policies in place now that are unsustainable by a dry continent. So when droughts occurr the river dies, as they never stop irrigating or harvesting with a coming drought in mind. If water harvesting was set to a more realistic dry time stats, I think all our rivers would stay alive.

John

Yes its not only out west. Im originally from Caboolture. We lived on the edges of Lagoon Creek. The water was clear as back in 70`s.
    I often visit the place we called home and and the lagoon we swam in for over 10 years. The place now looks like a polluted hole. It had a fresh in it early in the year and it is still filthy.