Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Milky Condamine

Re: The Milky Condamine

undulla still clears up John, and there's a heap of cultivation down Meandarra way. Also heaps of carp, esp in the creek behind Meandarra town, which clears up OK. Maybe teh Condamine does just need a good fresh through to clear out the mud and silt. Often found down near Arubial and Myall Grove downstream from Condi town that water from the Wambo was dirty and would muddy up the river but that seemed strange at the time, as it's mostly coming off the goanna country towards Tara - belah and cypruss country.

What has changed in the last fifty years?

More cultivations.
    Less big floods.
    Possible different additional chemicals.
    Less grass lands to filter the water.
    Faster overland water flow.
    Carp.
    Less water weeds to filter the water. (Chemicals, Carp)
    Levee banks to confine streams to a set channel with a faster run.
    Clearing creeks of logs etc thus increasing the run..
    Altered watertable.
    Human intervention.
    Dams, Weirs, Levees, Ring Tanks, Channels, Irrigation.

A whole host of things have changed, some good, many bad for the river.

Many creeks feeding the Condamine all ran differently, Wambo was red mud,
    Dogwood the same, Charlies Creek was generally clear, Nudley milky, Wilkies Creek milky, Undulla clear.

The river in early years was generally clear after a flood or later in the winter.

The one thing nobody has mentioned is the fact that some of our creeks have not had a run for decades.

I wonder why? It has little to do with the lack of rain.

That river to me as a young lad was sacred, now it is only a sewer.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

One thing I didn't mention, at the junction of Cobble Gum Creek and the River at Xmas time 1957??? the water was crystal clear and way too salty to drink.
    The only drinking water that day came from a muddy hole in the creek.

Yes too salty too drink.

There must be some big S.W. springs in that area some where.

The river was very low and not running at the time.

So why is the river muddy, think about it.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

Hi All,
    I have fished the same piece of the Codi for the last 35yrs, each year and sometimes twice. We camp on the river north of Condamine. I was 6yrs old first trip, river was muddy and has always been the same, exept once, approx 20yrs ago after a lot of rain and the river was flowing clear. Not a huge flow but was running continually for quite some time, this has been the only time i've seeen it flow like that.

The fishing has been up and down over the years as the carp population. Our last couple of missions fishing has been good, last 3 trips only one carp per mission. Also i have noticed that the red spot or fungi on the fish has nearly gone, which is a great thing.

was there in the floood a couple of years ago 2008 see attached pic, chinchilla wier 08 and same spot 09, plus couple of the river 08 then 09. great to see that amount of water going thru the old system.

I think its just the river, lots of sediment, but i still love it and hope we get some rain in the catchment for this years trip.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    undulla still clears up John, and there's a heap of cultivation down Meandarra way. Also heaps of carp, esp in the creek behind Meandarra town, which clears up OK. Maybe teh Condamine does just need a good fresh through to clear out the mud and silt. Often found down near Arubial and Myall Grove downstream from Condi town that water from the Wambo was dirty and would muddy up the river but that seemed strange at the time, as it's mostly coming off the goanna country towards Tara - belah and cypruss country.
    Jeepers !! you guys are taking me back a year or two !! I have fished all these creeks over the years gone by. What is the name od that creek behind the town at Meandarra? Ive also fished the Cobblegun over at Glenmorgan with an old mate Phil Lasren who has since passed away. It was clearish and full of yellas.
    I thrilled to hear it still clears. Ive caught goon yellas in it with celta type spinners and lures. I have fished Arubial and all that country as well. Many great memories from childhood thru to the late 1980s. Youre right about the Wambo water but only thing is is comes in way up near Chinchilla. Another creek that runs in below it is the Weimbilla which clears as well! But I have never seen the Wambo clean all my 53 years!

Thanks heaps Sheik.

Quote Originally Posted by Chong View Post
    Hi All,
    I have fished the same piece of the Codi for the last 35yrs, each year and sometimes twice. We camp on the river north of Condamine. I was 6yrs old first trip, river was muddy and has always been the same, exept once, approx 20yrs ago after a lot of rain and the river was flowing clear. Not a huge flow but was running continually for quite some time, this has been the only time i've seeen it flow like that.

The fishing has been up and down over the years as the carp population. Our last couple of missions fishing has been good, last 3 trips only one carp per mission. Also i have noticed that the red spot or fungi on the fish has nearly gone, which is a great thing.

was there in the floood a couple of years ago 2008 see attached pic, chinchilla wier 08 and same spot 09, plus couple of the river 08 then 09. great to see that amount of water going thru the old system.

I think its just the river, lots of sediment, but i still love it and hope we get some rain in the catchment for this years trip.
    Cheers
    Interesting info Chong! I always fish around Chinchilla and then below Condamine where it always cleared. Around Chinchilla it always cleared as well.

You have been fishing that section which is directly below where the Wambo flows in so maybe that could explain it being mostly muddy there. Another thing is it only takes a spit of rain to make the Wambo and Kogan Creeks run as they do come off that hard bulloak goanna country as previously montioned. Ha Ha ! sounds like my old Dad talkin. They are the terms he uses to describe that mongrel country.

Thanks heaps

Quote Originally Posted by Haji-Baba View Post
    What has changed in the last fifty years?

More cultivations.
    Less big floods.
    Possible different additional chemicals.
    Less grass lands to filter the water.
    Faster overland water flow.
    Carp.
    Less water weeds to filter the water. (Chemicals, Carp)
    Levee banks to confine streams to a set channel with a faster run.
    Clearing creeks of logs etc thus increasing the run..
    Altered watertable.
    Human intervention.
    Dams, Weirs, Levees, Ring Tanks, Channels, Irrigation.

A whole host of things have changed, some good, many bad for the river.

Many creeks feeding the Condamine all ran differently, Wambo was red mud,
    Dogwood the same, Charlies Creek was generally clear, Nudley milky, Wilkies Creek milky, Undulla clear.

The river in early years was generally clear after a flood or later in the winter.

The one thing nobody has mentioned is the fact that some of our creeks have not had a run for decades.

I wonder why? It has little to do with the lack of rain.

That river to me as a young lad was sacred, now it is only a sewer.

Have Fun Haji-Baba
    Hey how old are you Haji ! And boy do you know your'e country! You described all those creeks perfectly from my experience. Takes a real local to know and talk about the Cobblegun. Great little creek tucked away in the back blocks!

I think your overall analysis is on the money. No river could remain the same with all you wrote about going on. My thoughts are that the river seems to have been able to put up with all the man made stuff you mentioned over the years, but with so little runs in this last decade it just hasn't got the capacity to fight back. I think we should all be prayin for big rain to flush her out right thru. She needs a major flood like they just had in NSW I think.

The old Condy is sacred to me and my clan too mate.
    Thanks
    John

Hey are any of you ever been involved in restocking the river or creeks anywhere?

John

Yes.

Odes 20,

Seen the "Cobblegum" fill up from the river running backwards over the weir on "River Glen" in 1956.

That was sight.

Same time, "Undulla Creek" was low when we camped on a reserve and over night it flooded the little bridge on the back road to Glenmorgan.

It sneaked up on us overnight. Apparently they had 13 inches up at
    Warwick / Killarney 3 weeks before.

The river ran down and backed up all the creeks.

It was a river then not a drain as it is today.

Still a few fish in it if you know where to go.

In 1952 (I think) The river ran 3 feet deep for 6 months
    and every Yellowbelly and all the Cod finished up at the Cecil Plains Weir.
    No ladder.

Other than the St.Ruth Weir further down I don't remember any others below that.

People were coming from The Gold Coast to catch the fish. Absolute slaughter.

They could get over the St.Ruth weir but not the Cecil Plains weir at the time.

I do know that fish are still trapped there at times.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

odes20, i have not been personally involve but i know that chinchilla fishing club has a yearly release for the pass 3 year very consistently for condaime alliance funding, and before that they had there own brood stocks, they release 3 to 1 yellowbelly to cod, as far as i know. in all creeks and river around chinchilla.

I was just out at Toowoomba and spoke to my wife's uncle and he told me of a place on the Condamine at Cecil Plains. He said it clears up OK there so thats interesting.
    I see on TV there's a big row going on now about all the water heading down from the heavy rains in NSW. Three states are fighting over it, in my opinion noone should keep it, open all the gates and let the river flow!
    The comment then was made apparently by Abbot that Krudds obsession with climate change has left them practically ignoring the Murray Darling crisis.
    Im Odes20 brother, I also remember the Condamine would clear up after a fresh, and some freshs ran almost clean. We have photos of the river below Condamine in the spring that would bring tears to a glass eye! Lovely green colour, and make the best cuppa you could ever hope for boiled on Coolibah twigs.
    Bring back those days I say, I hope, I pray...
    Like mentioned above, the river is not a patch on what it was like years ago, its actually very disturbing.
    Cheers all great thread boys
    Flatzie

I lived of a farm on the outskirts of Pittsworth. We had a gully that ran a 2 meter banker after a good downpour. When tracing the flow the water of the cultiuvation and contours was like mud. The water running from the grasslands was just about crystal clear. Whot more proof is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by hkconc View Post
    I lived of a farm on the outskirts of Pittsworth. We had a gully that ran a 2 meter banker after a good downpour. When tracing the flow the water of the cultiuvation and contours was like mud. The water running from the grasslands was just about crystal clear. Whot more proof is needed.
    Its a good point, but the river has been carrying that kind of scenario for almost a century. Thousands of hectares of cultivation. But it still cleared up.

John

Makes us all think a bit.

The water that fell at Pittsworth years ago took weeks to reach the river when those areas were mainly dairy farming. It had to travel through grass and timber
    land and was filtered on the way to the river.
    It now takes just hours for the same journey.

Most farmers only had a 10 acre lucerne patch for the horses in those days and
    that was mostly covered with growth too.

No levee banks and little erosion then.

If you want to look at what causes some of the river problems follow The North Branch of the Condamine down to where it joins the River at St.Ruth.

Have a good look at the feeder creeks and the answer is there.

Last comment from me.

Have fun Haj-Baba

Quote Originally Posted by Haji-Baba View Post
    Makes us all think a bit.

The water that fell at Pittsworth years ago took weeks to reach the river when those areas were mainly dairy farming. It had to travel through grass and timber
    land and was filtered on the way to the river.
    It now takes just hours for the same journey.

Most farmers only had a 10 acre lucerne patch for the horses in those days and
    that was mostly covered with growth too.

No levee banks and little erosion then.

If you want to look at what causes some of the river problems follow The North Branch of the Condamine down to where it joins the River at St.Ruth.

Have a good look at the feeder creeks and the answer is there.

Last comment from me.

Have fun Haj-Baba
    With respect for your comment that this would be your last comment, could you kindly add an encore by describing what you have seen of those feeder creeks?

Would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    John