Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: The Milky Condamine

Re: The Milky Condamine

cant cookin a roast lamb on the rotiserie for xmas lunch well maybe early dinner lol

and am gettin fairly full of Xmas cheer dont think i could dig a thing LOL

Condamine is getting a smash flood thru at present With the river generally rising and in moderate to major flood all the way from Killarney to Surat incl. tributaries, we are going to see massive flood heights in the lower Condy. I expect it will reach 13 metres at the Chinchilla weir in a couple of days. Its been in major flood there for almost a week now already.

Charleys Creek at Chinchilla will prob reach 7.4 metres tomorrow.
    the 1942 flood there was 7.95 and the 1956 flood was 7.66 or 24 feet 6 inches!

I was there in '83 when it peaked at 6.6 metres and that was pretty amazing so who knows how it will look tomorrow!

Cheers
    John

here are two pics of the Club Hotel Chinchilla. First one is today when flood height is 6.95 metres and the second is 1942! at 7.9 metres! notice the comparitive height of the flood up the verandah rails. Pretty amazing dont you think?

John

Holy snappn water world man you guys have some water out there, hope everyone gets thru ok. My mate is cut off in all directions at Condi here is a couple of pics from there today. Still lots of water coming... if the river doesnt run clear after this, i give up stay dry people.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Chong View Post
    Holy snappn water world man you guys have some water out there, hope everyone gets thru ok. My mate is cut off in all directions at Condi here is a couple of pics from there today. Still lots of water coming... if the river doesnt run clear after this, i give up stay dry people.
    Cheers
    Greate photos Chong... there's alot of water there. The fish will be loving it. Too bad the mossies and sandies will too.
    In the mid eighties, maybe the early ninieties, I can't remember which, the river went over the bridge, and over the top of the bank. THe only reason I remember is Whale or Daryl or someone caught a cod from their verandah, across the highway from the pub. (to the right side of your first picture, if that makes sense.) I also remember Troy Z drove his Steiger in from South Dulacca Road around that time so he could get across the river to the pub. It was lower than in the photo, about a foot over as I remember. The Steiger incident could have been 83.

I got a pic on my phone last night of 15 brand new houses, yet to be handed over, under 1.000 of water at Chinchilla.

Quote Originally Posted by hkconc View Post
    I got a pic on my phone last night of 15 brand new houses, yet to be handed over, under 1.000 of water at Chinchilla.

What street mate? I have been wondering if the low end of Soveriegn Park will go under?
    Its my home town Chinchilla, but I'm in Cairns

not sure what the street is but it is boyyle tree estate. I will get back with a street name later.

are you talkin about bottletree estate
    im in there just behind the show grounds and its fine, dry as a bone here

#1 is the last street in Bottletree estate
    #2 is Sovereign estate
    #3 is about 3ks from the weir the marker on the side of the road read 13.7m

pics taken this morning 29th

Update pic from west side of bridge at condi....apparently they are catching cod of the deck at the pub and i cant get there
    Cheers

This document with its graph clearly shows the lack of significant or major floods in the Condamine since 1996 which is 14 years ago. No wonder she is in a sad state. I believe we will see a wonderful transformation in the river clarity after this flood. Notice that at Condamine town the river reached 14.3 metres in 1942. It may achieve that again this year. There have been almost 4 x14 metre floods since 1940, but no major floods since 1996.

CONDAMINE RIVER - LOUDOUN BRIDGE TO COTSWOLD: 30/12/2010
    Major flooding continues to rise along the Condamine River downstream to
    Cotswold, with the flood peak currently in the Ranges Bridge area. River level
    rises will continue downstream to Condamine Township where a peak is expected on
    Sunday or Monday of 14 metres. Levels may reach or just exceed the 1942 flood
    record height of 14.25 metres.

Cheers
    John

http://reg.bom.gov.au/hydro/flood/ql...e_cotswold.pdf
    Last edited by odes20; 30-12-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: more info

I recon your right John, new record on the way, and the river will be re-born after this lot

Quote Originally Posted by Chong View Post
    Update pic from west side of bridge at condi....apparently they are catching cod of the deck at the pub and i cant get there
    Cheers
    Is that photo taken from the Redmarley Rd corner Chong? If it is, that's quite a large flood.
    We've got cattle stuck out on the dogwood unable to get to them. My brother has had his boat for 3 years but last week lent it to my other brother to take to Tin Can, so he's trying to get the old jonno 6 going to put on mums father's 1965 fibreglass 11 footer. The jonno's 1965 too. Anyone got a fuel tank they can run down to Pine Hill crossing?

Water level is right up to the Greenswamp road turn off