Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Milky Condamine

Re: The Milky Condamine

Work mate going out there this weekend I will let you all know how he goes.
    Flatzie thats not good these people never learn, wish they would understand that there grandkids may want to catch some fish in years to come.
    Cheers rossco

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpah View Post
    Interested to know if there's any fishing in the river near Warwick? Up there the other day and the river through town has some nice looking spots but muddy water. Then some other parts that looked almost stagnant. Anyone tossed a line in near town or towards Killarney. Am going to retire there and am reasonably familiar with the dams but not the river.
    Hi there Grumpah,

I threw a line in the river at the bend west of the bridge at Warwick a couple of weeks ago and only got a 41cm carp. Wish it was a 41cm yella. That would have made me happy. Dog enjoyed the carp, as usual. Caught a 57cm carp in Kings Creek, Clifton a couple of weeks earlier. Seems to be all I catch, except silvers in a different part of the creek.

The carp here are the same colour as the one in the picky Peter Gerke posted up, except more yellow under their belly.

Cheers Eleanor

I went out to the Yarramlong weir the last few days. Reports of cod being caucht recently. Glad to see the water still flowing over the weir. The water is crystal clear also. The river does have a greeny tinge to it thou, but I guess that natural.
    I did menage 1 yella around 4 lb.
    Beats working.

Also couldnt help but notice the amount of stubbies and rubbish building up on the river banks. I am gunna try and orginise a clean up/fishing comp soon.
    Its no wonder the adjesent land owners restrict access to the rivers. Who would want their land permanenitly distroyed by other peoples rubbish.

Yes and than them same people that make the mess winge that the land holder won't let them on.
    cheers rossco

Great to hear of some activity. I am of all places at Chinchilla visiting family. Went out to the river this afternoon actually and it seems to have cleared a little. Also the Charleys Creek at Chinchilla is clearing to that tea color which is natural and good to see. The locals are catching a few yellas in the river and the creeks here so thats good.
    I may get a chance to get out and have a go. Hope so too.

Cheers
    John

Was working at Chinchilla resently myself only chance I had to check out any of the waterholes was as I drove over them, seen quite afew interesting places as we get around a bit in my job.
    cheers rossco

I was down at CHinchilla last week for my dear Mums Memorial Service. Passed away at 76. Bless her heart.
    I went out to the weir at Chinchilla and you guessed it , still milky.
    But the good news was the Charleys Crk was a nice tea color and clearing. And yellas are being caught in it at various places. The locals say a few yellas being caught in the Condamine as well.

Oh well, some fish still there!
    Cheers

John

I have followed the threads about the clarity and quality of the Condamine River.
    I am keen to do some fishing in that general area soon. I have relatives at Chinchilla, Wandoan and around Miles and fished some waterholes a long time ago but have never seriously fished the river. My local knowledge of the Condamine and branches is poor.

I fish from a kayak (lures only) and am from Brisbane. I am attracted to this area because I can catch up with the relatives at the same time.

I was hoping to get some locations where I can launch the yak & investigate some new and interesting waterways. Would you locals be so kind to give a city boy some spots to try when I am in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by funpaddle View Post
    I have followed the threads about the clarity and quality of the Condamine River.
    I am keen to do some fishing in that general area soon. I have relatives at Chinchilla, Wandoan and around Miles and fished some waterholes a long time ago but have never seriously fished the river. My local knowledge of the Condamine and branches is poor.

I fish from a kayak (lures only) and am from Brisbane. I am attracted to this area because I can catch up with the relatives at the same time.

I was hoping to get some locations where I can launch the yak & investigate some new and interesting waterways. Would you locals be so kind to give a city boy some spots to try when I am in the area.
    Hey mate, your best bet to my knowledge is going to be around Charlie's Ck at Chinchilla I would think. There were areas you could lure for yellas and cod in teh COndamine back in the early nineties during the big drought, but it's pretty cloudy through much of it now. Wandoan and Miles basically drain through the Dogwood, Drillham Ck and Paddy's Gully as well as the Tchanning and Yuleba further west. These are all pretty dirty, although the weir at Miles can sometimes clear up as can Chinchilla. Both would be great places to kayak but you'd need to check the regs on fishing there. SHould be OK.
    YOur best bet would be to ask the rellies if they know someone that might have a lagoon on their place. SOmetimes these will clean up better than anything else.
    Having said that, I have caught yellas in teh dogwood on lures when the water had the clarity of something that's not very clear at all.
    Others may have different experiences about this part of the world, that's just my perspective.
    regards jim

Yep the Charleys would be the best chance at present.

You could start anywhere from the bridge at the norwest edge of Chinchilla and go upstream for a long way at present. The water clarity is tea clear at present and will already fish OK with lures. However the warmer months are better. This creek had a good run thru at end of summer and the locals are catching a few yellas from it.
    I was there last week and checked it all out, but never had time to get out. I was born there and spent the first 30 years of my life in that country.
    Many great memories of fishing from an infant . I started this thread out of despair for our old Condamine, but sadly in these reaches she is still milky. I remember it clearing every winter almost and always being able to lure/spin good yellas and cod from it.
    I really hope to see those days return again. I an convinced its not the carp as another current thread about the Yarramalong Weir is running on here at presenrt and HConk caught yellas and big carp along side of each other in nice clear water there. Thats a fair way upstream from Chinchilla

Anyway all the best in your adventure
    Cheers
    John

So its August now and the Condamine at Chinchilla is still not clear. I fished a day with my Dad in the Weir section from the bank and never had a sign of a yella, only this huge carp which I estimated at 15-16lbs. You can see the colour of the water and so the question is, why is the river so clear upstream but not downstream?
    One day the powers that be will have to pull theirhead out of the sand and take a serious look at a real problem.
    A recent fishing competition on the Weir section which apparrently involved two clubs, turned up a few carp and one, yes,one yellowbelly!
    Cheers
    Flatzie

We spent the day at Lemon Tree Weir today. No fish but quiet relaxing. The river was right up and clear as.
    My future son in law Shayne (I hope) said he was out there last weekend and the river had risen around a meter or two since then. He said he could see fish g from the banks (carp I guess) some around half a meter long.
    No sight of them today. I had heard that the river had a fresh in it and was comming from the head waters above Warwick. Its the best the river has looked for years.

Quote Originally Posted by hkconc View Post
    We spent the day at Lemon Tree Weir today. No fish but quiet relaxing. The river was right up and clear as.
    My future son in law Shayne (I hope) said he was out there last weekend and the river had risen around a meter or two since then. He said he could see fish g from the banks (carp I guess) some around half a meter long.
    No sight of them today. I had heard that the river had a fresh in it and was comming from the head waters above Warwick. Its the best the river has looked for years.
    So mate where is Lemon Tree Weir on the River?

Hi! odes20

Just down stream from the Gore Highway on the Main River Branch.

Another good spot is up from The Cecil Plains Weir, or just down stream from the weir after a fresh. Still some good fish about there.

Haven't fished there for years but did get some good cod and yellowbelly further down towards St'Ruth weir.

Have been getting a lot of good fish out from Bribie over the last few months.
    Tailor, Flatties, Whiting.

When the weather gets a bit warmer I will chase Estuary Cod.

Have Fun Haji-Baba