Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palm Beach(QLD) reef

Palm Beach(QLD) reef

There's quite often a few spearos on palmy reef, I noticed one bloke diving with a sea kayak with a big mack tied up behind his kayak this morning. I've only ever speared around the headlands but I'm thinking about chasing some bigger fish and palm beach is my home ground.

Anyone here spear there often or know where I could get in contact with people who do? I'd need to buy some better gear but I'm hoping to get out there with a gun in the next 6 months at least.

Matt.

Re: Palm Beach(QLD) reef

dont come near me
    u mighjt get lured for chasing my fish off

pete

From what I've seen, mackerel aren't particularly scared of people in the water

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i think you spearos as you call them should take more care than ever now water temps are getting warmer anualy chomp chomp

You are right Ridsy, they can be inquisitive bu$$ers..............

yeah mate, the sharks are a bit of a pain sometimes but with a bit of common sense they're alright.. as for scaring the fish away thats not true... we often spear while my old man fishes in the boat, we dive up ahead of the anchor and all the blood and commotion creates a great burley trail for him in the boat...

Nidrac..

Quote Originally Posted by outsiderskip View Post
    dont come near me
    u mighjt get lured for chasing my fish off

pete
    Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    i think you spearos as you call them should take more care than ever now water temps are getting warmer anualy chomp chomp
    these are such uneducated comments.

macs and almost all pelagic fish are very interested in us in the water. they are definatley not scared.

yes there are sharks but they are of very little concern. after diving spearing freediving 1000's of time all up the east coast offshore i have only 2 times ever got out of the water because of a shark. it was just a precaution as they would not go away. one was a bullshark at smiths rock and the other was a tiger at the 7's

i would be more worried about skin cancer sitting int he boat. make sure you slip slop slap chump i feel safe in my wetsuit

I`m sure their comments are all lighthearted kokomo.

PS ...... F#ck the bull sharks you can have them evil buggers. I would get outa the water also. Andrew

I use to have three nice sets of jaws on my wall sometime ago.

1 set from a large Tiger
    1 set from a 6ft Bull and the other from a 5ft bronze.

The bull and bronze where good eating, the tiger, a different scenario, gave my fillets away to charity.

Peter

thankfully you cant take those big sharks up here any more

Well to follow up this thread, some mates have called a last minute spearing trip to the palmy in the morning.
    The only gear I have is a cheapo speargun with a prong tip that has rusted on so I can't change it. I'll have to borrow a gun.

Just discovered my wetsuit doesn't fit anymore.

So if anyones chasing mackeral at palmy in the morning I'll be the big idiot spearfishing in boardshorts and $30 fins. Should be tops.

Quote Originally Posted by rids01 View Post

So if anyones chasing mackeral at palmy in the morning
    Reckon there might be one or two

Mick

reef was packed. we wussed out and went into 25th ave, picked up two schoolies. saw some big spaniards back at the ramp, one from palmy and another from the gravel patch.

how many of u go out at a time?, im keen as (although my aim is sht as im a novice) have a yak and a tinnie but dont want to spear by myself, a tad too dangerous me thinks, PM me if you want someone else to go with, im based on the northern end of the coast but will travel down anyway, its worth it lol
    I support catch and release fishing, Keeping the natives native

Just heard today about a bloke losing a spaniard to a 14ft tiger shark on palmy reef..... I might stick to kingscliff reef for the next few weeks........or next few months.