Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Great Wall 4 X 4......any good?

Re: New Great Wall 4 X 4......any good?

What is wrong with people just looking, providing they dont take up the Sales peiople's valuable time (if indeed they are busy at the time because many are not)? They may end up buying then or down the track - they may want to be left alone to look and then ask questions. I have done plenty of just looking and then purchased new at the dealership a week or 3 later...

Perhaps buyers get wary of salespeople and either are not prepared to be straight at first, or are downright cagey because they have had bad experiences with salespeople over time - and lets face it they didnt get their reputation (generally speaking) for no reason. I cant tell you the number of times car salesman have tried to bullshit me...telling me crap that they dont know just to make the sale. I remember once going with a mate who was looking at a V8 Discovery 2 and was also contemplating a soft roader. The salesman told him to his face, with me there, that the Mazda Tribute would out tow the Discovery....what a plonker. I have many such examples.

So, whilst I am sure the genuine sales people get the shits with cagey buyers, just think about the likely reasons behind it...it will take a lot of years and getting rid of a lot of the bad salespeople to bring the buying public around people.

Its good to see people on Ausfish who sell vehicles helping out - well done and thanks.

As for crash safety, the old Toyota example is not relevant here because the old Toyota chassis, like my Discovery 1 and 2 are solid as, and the other vehicle is the crumple zone...but dont go hitting a brick wall or tree in one, because the sudden deceleration is not kind to the human body in the truck...I have seen it a few times.

Also the truck style 4wd's are not always impressive in side impacts because the majority of the structure (the chassis rails) are inboard of the bits of the human that get squashed.

My wife drives a current model Accord Euro - 1.6 tonns of very high 5 star crash rating and for her its great. I reckon against most cars of its weight it would do very well. Crashing head long into my 02 Disco, would be an issue for it. Having said that coping a side impact from almost anything she would do better than me copping a side impact (all the high strength steels and design to direct energy to the rest of the car - setting aside all the air bags she has for the side). Likewise she would do better hitting a tree than me, unless I was lucky enough to hit a chassis rail directly.

Cheers

PS. I dont speakin about the crash stuff without experience having spent 20 years doing personal injury work and 70% of that was motor vehicle crashes.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Well if the vehicle in question uses the same engine/running gear as an established brand like mitzi then my estimation of them has gone up, 2/3s of the battle is the running gear even if not cutting edge anymore if it ever was the knowledge base and the spare parts are everywhere. That only leaves the body fittings and dash/electrics etc as the only potential downside in longterm use.

For the price it ldoes ook like a bit of a bargain, it's obviously no Lada.

cheers fnq

Oii Newby!!!
    You don't happen to sell real-estate do you??
    I love the line...Don't BS me and I won't BS you....GOLD
    Why can't all salesperson's be like you...ie no crap.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Sounds like it has potential in the market.

I just can't understand why they had to give it a flat faced, squinty eyed look.

- Darren

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Well if the vehicle in question uses the same engine/running gear as an established brand like mitzi then my estimation of them has gone up, 2/3s of the battle is the running gear even if not cutting edge anymore if it ever was the knowledge base and the spare parts are everywhere. That only leaves the body fittings and dash/electrics etc as the only potential downside in longterm use.

For the price it ldoes ook like a bit of a bargain, it's obviously no Lada.

cheers fnq
    Well yes and no, thye are using the tooling and Technology of the old Mitsui but they built them themselves and thats what worries me , I have seen plenty of Chinese built stuff that leaves a lot to be desired. Some stuff looks like 10 yo kids put it together.
    In the years to come they will impove but they need to improve a lot before I put my hard erned $$ in to a Chinese built car!
    The difference between the Japanese of 40-50 years ago and even the Koreans of 20 years ago is this fact. The Japanese DON'T lie , they are very truethfull people and so are the Koreans. The Chinese tell porkies all the time , they will built anything you want them to and will put any badge on it , it doen't matter if thats someone elses trademark. They will even built same as they built for you for themselves and sell it with your badge on it!!

Thats tthe reason I will always be reluctant to buy Chinese.

FNQCairns,

Only time will tell if its a Lada.... A lot of people thought because they were recycled Fiat they would be OK too...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr__Bean View Post
    Sounds like it has potential in the market.

I just can't understand why they had to give it a flat faced, squinty eyed look.

- Darren
    Seriously however you may feign Mr bean, I almost spat my coffee all over the keyboard! LOL

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by wrxhoon View Post
    Well yes and no, thye are using the tooling and Technology of the old Mitsui but they built them themselves and thats what worries me , I have seen plenty of Chinese built stuff that leaves a lot to be desired. Some stuff looks like 10 yo kids put it together.
    Yes some is but some isn't
    They will build what you want with specifications you want.
    I have imported a bit of stuff from there and there is no difference to stuff available here and in the case of the smart ar$e CNC I imported the quality was better then one available here with a European badge on it. I specified what I wanted and I got it.
    I found it is easier to deal with the Chinese then a lot of people in Australia.
    They answered every question when I was looking and asking about 'extras'. They took pictures during assembly and sent them and then answered questions when it got here. Nothing has broken yet and the build quality is definitely there.
    What really amased me was the shipping cost.
    It cost less to get a CNC to Brisbane from China to my house then it would have cost to get one from Rocklea to Loganholme.

You'd be amased what is made there and sent to another country to be sold as prime components. Boat building is a prime example. Near all the fitting on the majority of new boats come from China.

Remember the first Japanese cars were rebadged, reverse engineered Austin's or similar from the British Isles.

[quote=wrxhoon;1119309] The Japanese DON'T lie , they are very truethfull people and so are the Koreans.

quote]

NOW who telling porkies?? The japanese and koreans lie just as much as everyone else. How do I know, well, in short I work for Koreans, and my competition is the Japanese, so i have and currently do deal with both nationalities.

Aside from the looks, I reckon the car will be a good reliable vehicle and a very good price. They have taken older, but proven technology someone else spent millions developing and have put out essentialy the same thing but don't have the massive R&D costs the major players have to recover, also I have noticed, print and tv ads aren't flashy, they are straight to the point, they tell you the vehicle, what class it is, and the price, I also notice they are also the only ones who still advertise a price for their cars, the mitsi, toyota, ford etc don't put any prices on their ads anymore unless it is a dealer specific ad.

So thats a question for NEWBY, why is it that car makers are no longer advertising the price of the vehiocle they are plugging?

[quote=Scott nthQld;1119432]
    The Japanese DON'T lie , they are very truethfull people and so are the Koreans.

quote]

NOW who telling porkies?? The japanese and koreans lie just as much as everyone else. How do I know, well, in short I work for Koreans, and my competition is the Japanese, so i have and currently do deal with both nationalities.

Aside from the looks, I reckon the car will be a good reliable vehicle and a very good price. They have taken older, but proven technology someone else spent millions developing and have put out essentialy the same thing but don't have the massive R&D costs the major players have to recover, also I have noticed, print and tv ads aren't flashy, they are straight to the point, they tell you the vehicle, what class it is, and the price, I also notice they are also the only ones who still advertise a price for their cars, the mitsi, toyota, ford etc don't put any prices on their ads anymore unless it is a dealer specific ad.

So thats a question for NEWBY, why is it that car makers are no longer advertising the price of the vehiocle they are plugging?

Not from my first hand experience with the Japs, they are honest people as a whole .
    Yes they copied others as anyone would but they didn't and don't make something and then tell you its something else.
    Chinese on the other hand will copy anything and sell it with the original name , they even will say on it that its made in the original country .

Don't forget it was the same with the Lada, Fiat tooling, Fiat proven tech but made in Russia , we soon found out how well it was built.

I'm not saying the Great Wall ute is the same , what I'm saying is , I would buy a used Jap ute for the same money before I buy this unknown .

I know a lot of companies have stuff made in China , but only because of the labour cost . I'm happier to buy a Chinese made product that belongs to a well known western company that to buy a Chinese product marketed by a Chinese company .

Example I would buy a BMW made in China before I even think of buying a Great Wall .

had a good look at a mates, shit i would get one, he got his for 25k, even after 5 years he gets 8k for it, means he lost 17k over 5 years, you would lose that much and some in the first year if it was a toyota

Daz

Example I would buy a BMW made in China before I even think of buying a Great Wall .
    Gees I wouldn't buy another Beemer made in Germany let alone China.
    We have a 3 series M-tech..how do we give it back??
    $50odd,000 in 2000.
    $10,000 in 2009.
    It was running joke with the cook and I.
    I kept teasing her my $1,650 Kingswood was going to be worth more then her Beemer one day.
    The day has come and gone. And I let her know

Haha...I like it. Most BM's we get in Australia (ie the 3 series) save for the M3 are made in South Africa. If you want top quality you have to to the land of the rising sun.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the last week of the month is the best time to aproach a dealer, and the salesman checks with the dealer princeable to find out the best price he can sell for, allso a car sales yard is like any other shop if you want to go in and have a look feel free but if your fairdinkum and want to buy take cash in your pocket it does make a diff. now i have owned three car yards on the southside of brissy for new cars shop on the phone, i now have a shop open to the public working with the public is a hard job i can no longer work in the shop cause i do my block to easy, so staff have to do it its hard being looked down on as dealers

often are i have some good mates that are dealers still i gave cars up 20 yrs ago all the best hilly

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Gees I wouldn't buy another Beemer made in Germany let alone China.
    We have a 3 series M-tech..how do we give it back??
    $50odd,000 in 2000.
    $10,000 in 2009.
    It was running joke with the cook and I.
    I kept teasing her my $1,650 Kingswood was going to be worth more then her Beemer one day.
    The day has come and gone. And I let her know

It was just an example mate .
    I wouldn't buy a car made anywhere but Japan and West Germany, 4 of my cars are made there and the 5th is a local Falcon.

Scott,

We get lots of cars made in South Africa, even Corollas were soursed from there but more are coming from Tailand now because we have a free trade agreement with them. These days its not a big deal because the import duty is only 5% as of january 1 this year, it was 15% until December 04.

Just a note to those who thin the Great Wall cars are using established brand bparts and designed. Not one single part will fit the model you think it cam from.

The Rodeo body? It's not. You could not take one part from the Chinese car and fit it to the orginal Rodeo or vice-cersa.

The Narvara looking head lights, they are not. You could not fit them to a navara or vice-versa.

GWM is imitating design, but not acutally coping the parts mm for mm.

I was suprised, but there would be some major copyright infringements if they were identical.

Imitation is the greatest compliment, as they say.

Source: Overlander Jan 2010 edn.