Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somerset Fees

Somerset Fees

Thinking of going to Somerset for a fish and try for some Redclaw, it has been a long time since I've been up that way . I have heard that you need to pay an extra fee to use a boat on the dam or is a fresh water license enough.

Re: Somerset Fees

You Need a fishing permit and a boat permit both can be obtained from the servo at Somerset township.They also sell opera house traps if you don't have any.
    Mex

you will need a boating permit as well unfortunately mate
    you can get these at kirkleigh or the spit shop i believe
    Cheers,

Ben

Boating permit = $15 for 7 days or $75 a year ($100 1st year)
    I recon there should be a cheaper daily or weekend option. IMO it pushes the bounderies of consumer laws under a part of the Gov competition policy, ie charging a fee without providing a service. An example would be how "The Spit" is run as a day facility but they chare you for a 7 day boating permit and when SEQ Water issues a permit to hold a 2 day fishing tournament then charges every competitor for a 7 day boating permit with no shorter option. The average visit would only be 2 days as well but still a 7 day permit. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Boating permit = $15 for 7 days or $75 a year ($100 1st year)
    I recon there should be a cheaper daily or weekend option. IMO it pushes the bounderies of consumer laws under a part of the Gov competion policy, ie charging a fee without providing a service. An example would be when SEQ Water issues a permit to hold a 2 day fishing tournament then charges every competitor a 7 day boating permit with no shorter option. The average visit would only be 2 days as well. :-(
    Some good points there Mike, what can be done to address the problem??? We should all remember that these facilities are owned by the QLD Government which mean they belong to us, the people of QLD

Most of the camping areas around the dams these days are charging like wounded bulls for very little in return.

It would be nice to be able to go and camp somewhere for a weekend without it breaking the bank.

In some cases it is almost cheaper to stay in a motel.

Cheers,
    John.

Do the local stocking groups get anything from the boating
    permits?
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    Do the local stocking groups get anything from the boating
    permits?
    Cheers
    Ray
    No, we get the assistance of the Water Board during fish releases if required. The Water Board have, in the past, purchased their own fingerlings and released them into the two dams, Somerset and Wivenhoe, although I'm not sure if that still occurs.

A boating permit is required for any registrable boat, so boats with small motors, for which you don't need boat registration, don't need a boating permit.

Quote Originally Posted by fishel View Post
    A boating permit is required for any registrable boat, so boats with small motors, for which you don't need boat registration, don't need a boating permit.
    I think the permit is required for registed or trailerable boats. Could be wrong though, Dale may have the right info. I do know we needed a boating permit to sail on Somerset and Wivenhoe and our sailing dinghy didn't have any outboard at all.
    Cheers

I went on the SEQWater site to check out their wording of boats that require a permit but so far I can only find this, clear as mud.

Prohibited Water Activities

You must not do any of the following on Seqwater waters, expect where authorised by a permit:
    h/ operate a vessel, without a licence or operate a vessel that is unregistered or uninsured.

SEQWater's interpretation of "vessel"

vessel’ is any object used or designed to be used on water or in navigation.

So if the don't restock themselves ,where does this money go . I would imagine some would be used for upkeep of ramps and facilities but that would not be all of the monies collected.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

we live in a free country if you dont own a car and walk, and pitch your tent in your back yard, as it is on some days i pay 3 road tolls morn and night parking fees thats 38 bucks a day to go to work let alone fuel and this qld rego on my car just went up over $200 in 1 hit the highest reg increase in australias history no free country here

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    I went on the SEQWater site to check out their wording of boats that require a permit but so far I can only find this, clear as mud.

Prohibited Water Activities

You must not do any of the following on Seqwater waters, expect where authorised by a permit:
    h/ operate a vessel, without a licence or operate a vessel that is unregistered or uninsured.

SEQWater's interpretation of "vessel"

vessel’ is any object used or designed to be used on water or in navigation.
    Sounds like you need a permit for the kids water wings.
    They're designed to be used on water...and is unregistered and uninsured...or is it you are not allowed to use water wings because the kiddy is unlicensed...or does it say waterwings are not allowed because they are unregistered??
    Yep....clear as the bottom of the Logan River under the freeway bridge.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I just checked out this site: http://www.somerset.qld.gov.au/visit...ping_Guide.pdf and the wording regarding boats is:-

Boating Permits are required for all vessels which are
    towed using a trailer and/or those that are registered.

Exclamation Re: Somerset Fees

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    Some good points there Mike, what can be done to address the problem??? We should all remember that these facilities are owned by the QLD Government which mean they belong to us, the people of QLD

Most of the camping areas around the dams these days are charging like wounded bulls for very little in return.

It would be nice to be able to go and camp somewhere for a weekend without it breaking the bank.

In some cases it is almost cheaper to stay in a motel.

Cheers,
    John.
    Well John I am going to Somerset this weekend. I have all the permits etc. have had for years.
    THE BLOODY CAMP FEES AT KIRKLEIGH (SOMERSET FAMILY HOLIDAY PARK) are currently $31 for the site (2 people) and $12 per extra head!

HOLY CRAP!
    That's $55 for 4 people on an unpowered site per night!

peak season, then $25 per site off peak. Tha's without power remember.
    plus the bloody boating permit. So for 2 people for the bloody weekend your are looking at $62 just to pitch your tent on the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    we live in a free country if you dont own a car and walk, and pitch your tent in your back yard, as it is on some days i pay 3 road tolls morn and night parking fees thats 38 bucks a day to go to work let alone fuel and this qld rego on my car just went up over $200 in 1 hit the highest reg increase in australias history no free country here

Yeh how good is that rego increase, and the power bill etc.
    Someone must have voted for the mongrels.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............