Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: rod repair day. volunteers needed.

rod repair day. volunteers needed.

Hi Guys and Gals,

As part of ECOfishers contribution to community programmes, we have collected many used / old fishing rods and reels. These will be cleaned, repaired and made good to distribute to a Disadvantaged Kids Fishing Program here in Brisbane.

In about March 2010, I will be holding the rod and reel repair day at my place. Rochedale South. ( date to be advised )

What will happen is over the next few weeks I will buy, beg , borrow and steal enough guides, reel seats and grips to make good about 20 rods.

If anyone would like to assist me, please make your intentions known below.

The day will simply consist of everyone grabbing a rod or reel, ( that I have here ) and either strip it, repair it or fit new parts. I know we can't finish all rods in the day, so I can epoxy them over the following few days, as long as the repairs are done.

I do not have a rod lathe, so that would come in handy. I do have lots of thread, epoxy and glue, but if you have a supply yourself, that'd be great.

I will supply lunch and cold drinks and the workshop is undercover. There is even a pool available should you work up a sweat and require a cooling off.

I will try to make a list of items required and post them up here, some of you may have guides etc that you'd like to donate to the cause.

Once you post up your intentions, I will get your email address and keep in touch.

Thanks in Advance

Phill

Assistant Secretary
    ECOfishers Queensland Inc.
    .><> ><> ><>
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: rod repair day. volunteers needed.

Phil,

I dont have any spare parts, i cant do guides for shyte, or repairs for shyte either, but i can turn up and help where i can maybe help cleaning the rods or whatever i can do to help the cause.

Mike

Not a clue, but I'll come and carry the beers...

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

mate ,i,m in , just tell me when
    cheers
    ian

I'm in. How many rod lathes do you need?
    I reckon I can get 3 or 4 there with 2 or 3 dryers.
    If you need someone to sort some rods out and strip some rods for the parts just drop them off matey. You know where I am.
    Anything else you need then don't hesitate.
    Just don't know how long the hands will hold out on the day though but we can give it a good go I reckon.

To be honest I have not visited this section for years. I just saw the thread name in the main menu and thought...brilliant. Phil's fixing all those rods.
    It just depresses me to no end not been able to do rods a great deal of late. I reckon I've only made 2 rods in the last 2 1/2 years.
    I have not really given the arm a good work since the surgery so this might be the test.
    So this might just be the kick in the @r$e I need to get going again or to get rid of all the gear.
    You never know I might even give weaves a go if all goes OK. Owen will be pleased.

Good on ya Phil for organising help for the needy again. And for giving me something to look forward to.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I am more than happy to pitch in - useless with any rod building skills but keen to learn and reasonably handy on the reels. Will bring own tools, reel grease etc and liquid refreshment. Just let me know the date and address.
    Regards,
    Dave

I will offer my hands for the day(with me attached) time permitting of course.
    I think I only have 3 of my 10 or so rods I haven't done some repair/building on over the years, all without a lathe Are you after s/h guides as well Phil as I have a few here somewhere I can scrounge up. I actually have 2 old rods I refurbed with newer ceramic guides which I may be able to remove before then because I have acquired some vintage wound wire guides to restore the 2 rods.
    Cheers,
    Chris.

Phill, I'll put my hand up to strip, glue or wrap a few. Just send some details through.

Adam

If I can make it when the date is confirmed....I am in. Dont have access to my tools (still in bloody storage).....but all i need is a single edged razor blade, some masking tape, a small fine file and a rod lathe (or a couple of stable v-blocks) and i will wrap away indefinitely. If there are many hands - you can get away with thin coats of epoxy on the binds, hand turned for a couple of hours - or even go down the solvent based coating path.....worked for many years before epoxy became popular. Would only be too pleased to help.

Cheers
    Greg

Phil,
    Great cause.
    Unfortunately I can't be there to help in person, but I will donate some parts.
    PM sent.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Phil,
    Great cause.
    Unfortunately I can't be there to help in person, but I will donate some parts.
    PM sent.
    A weave jig??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    A weave jig??
    If ya want one it's yours.
    PM your addy.
    If it keeps you inside where you can't scare small children it's worthwhile :tongue:
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Would love to help.

Will need to see what dates are proposed. Not so good with the hands, as I have never reapaired a rod myself, but willing to learn.

Wonders if anyone has a couple of old reels hanging around as well to donate. I hate to see rods given out without a reel attached.

Harry
    I love the sound of reels screaming in the morning

gday phil mate i will show up and give you a hand if i can - better idea when the date is firmed up - have built or repaired about a dozen rods by hand for myself over the years bit rough and no where near getting a professional looking finish though but they do work ok not that i catch that many fish at the best of times
    cheers greg

I will come down, I will also bring down a bunch of guides and tips. Let me know the date so I can work around it. See you there.

Stu
    Precision Rods