Thread: Plastics and Stingers

Plastics and Stingers

Hi all,

I have been playing around with attaching stinger hooks to plastics i.e. Storms and Slick Rigs using wire, mono and split rings etc.

Can anyone out there shed some light on what works for you and how to rig these up?

This topic has probably been out before however cannot find the posts.

Thanks...

Re: Plastics and Stingers

Quote Originally Posted by woolybugger View Post
    Hi all,

I have been playing around with attaching stinger hooks to plastics i.e. Storms and Slick Rigs using wire, mono and split rings etc.

Can anyone out there shed some light on what works for you and how to rig these up?

This topic has probably been out before however cannot find the posts.

Thanks...
    Attachment 54719 - Here is a simple one

Use a quality #4 Hawaiian snap & owner ST 66 treble #4

Use a bit if shape tube over the barb & press into back cavity ( security)

This same set up works on Hollowbelly type lures too

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I notice of a lot of ABT guys (inluding the pro's on the AFC tour) are adding a stinger to their plastics.

Chris,
    Thanks for info, just to make sure I understand how place the snap on the plastic's hook, you make a hole in the bottom of the plastic with a covered barb, place the snap over the plastic's hook and clip on the treble.
    Sound about right?

Regards
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    I notice of a lot of ABT guys (inluding the pro's on the AFC tour) are adding a stinger to their plastics.

Chris,
    Thanks for info, just to make sure I understand how place the snap on the plastic's hook, you make a hole in the bottom of the plastic with a covered barb, place the snap over the plastic's hook and clip on the treble.
    Sound about right?

Regards
    Peter
    Thats it .... put the treble on first & the opening end is pressed onto the shank of jig head - Its easier & so far has been 100% failsafe
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thats it .... put the treble on first & the opening end is pressed onto the shank of jig head - Its easier & so far has been 100% failsafe
    Thanks Chris, I have the ST66's but no Hawaiian snaps (haven't come across them before but googled them ok). Off to the tackle store today and then time for plastic mod's.

Peter

Peter, try a good quality black swivel over the main hook, with a split off the swivel to the treble.
    The tube that comes with the squidgeys can be shortened up and slid back over the hook as Chris sugested for insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Peter, try a good quality black swivel over the main hook, with a split off the swivel to the treble.
    The tube that comes with the squidgeys can be shortened up and slid back over the hook as Chris sugested for insurance.
    Thats not a bad way of doing it Brian - & it certainly stops the potential strain / torque opening up the business end of the snap.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I'm liking this, thanks guys. What about methods for reducing weight in Slickies and SSS"s.

Pete.

Seeems to work mate, fat pig of a 112 matted, it was hooked only on the treble, main jig hook wasnt touching anything.
    Those little #3 and #4 black swivels are rated at 80/90+ pound, better rating than the Owner and Decoy splits, and the swivel characteristics providing less leverage to a hooked fish thrashing its head?

Much appreciated guys, very simular to what I currently use but yours are better improved. I bought those Hawaiians years ago but never really used them, so I guess it paid off.

Can't wait to try them out.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Seeems to work mate, fat pig of a 112 matted, it was hooked only on the treble, main jig hook wasnt touching anything.
    Those little #3 and #4 black swivels are rated at 80/90+ pound, better rating than the Owner and Decoy splits, and the swivel characteristics providing less leverage to a hooked fish thrashing its head?
    That's good Brian......I wasn't sure what the swivels were rated at....That is certainly another option and would be a tad neater than the Hawaiian snaps.

Pete.......I just nibble away at the Jig head with my fence wire cutters to what I think is enough.......not having a pool or a large container to observe drop rates, it's a bit hit and miss in my case, I don't place alot of attention to accuracy at this point....at home the emery wheel would do the job.
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless