Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crab pot thieves overnight

Crab pot thieves overnight

After fishing in Tinny creek i thought i would drop my only last crab pot out with a flatty frame i caught earlier in the week and after checking before i left i thought i would leave overnight knowing that all would have checked it before i got back. Got there the next day and it was gone along with another guys pots. I saw heaps of pots in the creek the day before and today only the ones dropped off as i was there. Some theives have knocked them all off. Has anyone had this happen before ?

Re: Crab pot thieves overnight

Gday Mate,

I’ve heard a lot of things about Tinny Ck, I think Penal colony for thieves comes to mind!! Around this time of the year you will get a lot pots going missing, especially if leaving them out overnight.
    Mate, probably the only safe way is to tie them to your boat and hang on tight!!!
    Cheers
    Kerrod

tinnie creek is a nightmare, i live 200m away and still would never stick a pot in that creek

ddobson
    Sorry to here that you have lots pots unfortunately both Tingalpa and Lota creeks are a haven for crab pot thives and raiders. You cannot leave a pot in either creek overnight as they will dissapear. Ive known guys that have wieghed down there lines covered the ends with mud used grapple hooks all sorts of tricks but to no avail.
    Cheers Axl

I did not lose my pots, but I lost the crabs. Left the pots over night at coomera river, this morning when I was launching my boat to retrieve the pots, I saw a guy coming back with his crab pots, I had a feeling he might have checked mine as well, and I was right, nothing in the pots. Well, at least he left the pots alone. *sigh* bluddgers.

Me and a mate went for a look for prawns up tinnie creek yesterday arvo and I couldn't believe my eye's......never have I seen so many discarded crab pots along the banks in the mud.
    what a lot of people dont realise is that tinnie creek can get up a bit of a run on the big tides and away your pots go only to be washed up along a bank some where else up or down stream from where you put them in.
    I've been fishing tinnie creek for about 18 years now and this is the worst I've ever seen it for lost pots just lying along the banks.
    go have a look and you may find yours.
    pickers

A client of mine is a pro crabber in the area and I asked him about pot checking and thefts and his reply was that it's worse at night. On one occasion, he had no sooner dropped his pots to see lights back where he was and his pots being checked.
    "I've punched em', ramped my tinny into their's and the theiving bastards still keep doing it!", he said.

Well what chance do we have?

Cheers
    Ps - he uses whole chicken for bait

I did see all the un used pots against te edges at low tide as well but nona as new as mine oh well learnt by that mistake. I thnk tying it to your tinny is the only way do do it as said earlier. If you catch em give em one for me cause if i catch em i certainely will.

I had the pleasure of catching 3 pricks pulling my pot in tinny creek about 5 yrs ago,i hid in the mangroves & watched them go up a drain.I slowly motored over & hit them with a spotty,caught them red handed pulling my pot.I could only get to old mate on the tiller with an overhand right,tagged him with a beauty!
    after some choice words they made a quick trip back to the ramp & got out of there.
    I've had a gut full of people checking & stealing pots,but geez it's fun when you catch them.

cheers jason

Soulfish,it must have felt really good. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cy1301 View Post
    Soulfish,it must have felt really good. LOL

mate it's a shame that you can't put your pots in go home & come back hopefully get a feed.It puts you off crabbing all together when you loose $60 pots because some scumbag knocks them off.I'm not a violent person but it makes my blood boil.Only wednesday night my mate had his new seajay 3.7 nomad with 15 yammy knocked off from aquatic paradise,the bastards cut through stainless wire & took it.Plus they went through a heap of moored boats as well.

cheers jason

People are getting really bad as the years progress. I remembered the days when I can leave my doors wide open go out and come back and everything will still be in place. Now adays, you have to lock your doors even if you are home. Sometimes it really comes down to discipline. I really think this country needs to send their people into National Service, tough them up and put em straight.

Kdog , LOL

Another way, . . . .

tie your pot to a rope with a handle on it, grab a skitube, wakeboard or any other water toy and get a good grip cause it will take off really quick

allways carry a divers knife ! ! !

I'm as sick of the A holes as anyone, just bought 4 more from bcf , 4 for $50 cause mine grew skis

greetings
    I have been fishing tinny creek for over 10 years and have found that during the school holidays and on weekends you might as well give your pots away rather than going to the trouble of putting them out yourself.
    I left 4 overnight 2 weeks ago and although I put them out late and went to retreive them early the sharefarmers had beaten me to it.
    If I am going to leave pots out at night now it will be outside holidays and weekends and I only use the crappiest square pots I have (at least they might still be there in the morning.
    I reckon if these a'holes are caught they should have their photos put somewhere for all to see and hopefullycop a fair bit of abuse from those of us who do the right thing.
    muddypete
    I bought 4 crabpots at $12.50 each from bcf on special check them out for replacments

i was going to hook up my old flares to some pots i had in a small creek, that would have scared the shit out of the bastards !!!
    Anyone got a few tricks to booby trap there pots ??

I believe if the law isn't going to help stop it then i should beable to look after my properity.