Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Etec upgrade 150hp to a 200hp will I save fuel costs

Re: Etec upgrade 150hp to a 200hp will I save fuel costs

Marvin... Before you do the swap,, see if you can get your hands on a 15" Rebel prop... It's BRP prop so your dealer should be able to get one in for you...

They are an exellant prop for heavy boats, better then 4 bladers IMO... If you find the 15"Rebel is a little to big for the 150, it should be perfect on the 200...

Thanks Reel Blue, will see if I can get one of those props, taking my 150 to the dealer today to get print out of stats from the last 12 months, to see if anything shows up as a problem on the report. Has any one got a 200 yammy 4st for sale....

While your at the dealer, make sure your get a compression test done...

Went and asked for a diagnostic print out and a compression test, I was told they did not have time to do a comp test and it was not neccassary to do a compression test.., 240hrs on the 150 etec since august 2007, no current hard faults found, Stored engine faults code 89 x 1 at 159hrs - Exhaust pressure above expected range, and code 87 x 1 Exhaust pressure circuit fault detected. Maxium temp port side 85.0 degrees, max temp starboard side 90.9 degrees. 760 start cycles. Serial number is 5190669 model number E150DPXSUF. SOFTWARE VERSION 3030377, emm SERIAL NUMBER 10008661 emm MAX TEMP 70.7Degrees. Cylinder 5 pressure -30 other 5 cylinders pressure 0.??? Asked dealer if any of this highlights any problems with the motor and I was told it is perfect - it is my boats style and weight that is the problem with the fuel economy of 2 liters per 1 nauticle mile and there is nothing wrong with the motor, just need a higher hp on my boat to improve the economy. I have a 15x15 SS prop that came on the motor, is this different to the BRP one you suggested to try? As this prop gave worse economy than the polished solars 14 1/2 x 15.

The reason I sugested a comp test is due to your motor being over propped.. When I motor is over propped it is lugging all the time, from trolling to WOT... Just inagine how much faster your going to wear out your rings and bearings when your motor is lugging all the time....

The shape off your boat does make sense, Hydro and airodynamics can have a major affect on speed and fuel consumption...

The SS prop you tryed is an allrounder.. The Rebel has a larger diameter and larger blade area.. It will mover more watr and provide more thrust then an SS..

Jabba, put it in black and white for me, what is the diameter and pitch and brand of prop You suggest for me to try, I was told I have the lowest available prop to get the best rpm 14 1/2 x 15 and the motor never has sounded or felt like it is lagging at any speed or rpm to me... cheers.

have you tried the next prop down 14 1/2 X 13? It sounds like it is as simple as your prop is too big.

I have just been playing with props and a 19 gives 30lph @ 45-48kph, 21 gives 38 lph @40-42pkh and lost 800rpm. I know differant boat and motorbut worth a shot. if just playing with props and you have a few to play with I like to keep going bigger till too big than come back or keep going smaller than going up, as it is good to know what the next size will do.

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    Jabba, put it in black and white for me, what is the diameter and pitch and brand of prop You suggest for me to try, I was told I have the lowest available prop to get the best rpm 14 1/2 x 15 and the motor never has sounded or felt like it is lagging at any speed or rpm to me... cheers.
    OK the Prop I sugest is a "Rebel" 15" x 15 .75" Dia,,, made by BRP... The Rebel is a more efficent prop then a 4 blader, and should spin up a bit easier then your current 4 blader.....

A motor does not have to sound like its lugging, for it to be lugging...
    Your close to the botton end of the optimium rev range now, that is not good enough if you want your motor to preform at it best. Best hole shot, best top speed, best fuel economy, best oil economy, a longer engine life... The more load you can get off your motor the happier it's going to be...

Personaly, if I had a 150, I would have it propped so it reached 5500rpm with a heavy load and full fuel tank.... With no load, I would want it to reach 5700rpm

Does any one have a Rebel 15 3/4 x 15 prop for a 150hp etec that I can try or buy, or a smaller sized prop like a 14 1/2 x 13 for a 150hp etec? Can anyone shed some light on the best place to obtain one of these props please, so I can try it asap before the 200hp arrives and I have to make the final decision on going to the bigger 200hp outboard or sticking with the 150 and trying to reprop it to improve performance/economy.

Hi Marvin

Why dont you give this guy a look at your situation?

Propeller Sizing & Speed Calculation

Prop. it Right Analysis

Performance of a boat can be maximized with a properly matched propeller. We use the Australian "PROP SCAN" for our calculation and repairs.
    To choose the right propeller for your boat ,we need some information regarding the boat itself and the motor.

For a free calculation, please click here to download and then print our Prop. it Right Analysis PDF form (16.4KB) and when completed , fax it to: 07 5571 1377 for your FREE Prop. it Right Analysis

6/48 Johnston Street Southport, QLD 4215 Ph: 07 5532 5891 Fax: 07 5571 1377 Email: proprepairs@hotkey.net.au Contact: Yan Eschembrenner
    What could go wrong.......................

Thumbs up Re: Etec upgrade 150hp to a 200hp will I save fuel costs

Thanks Chimo, Completing the form now and will send it today. Let you know the outcome. cheers.

Marvin i've got a 15 3/4 x 15 rebel spare i'm looking to sell it's left over from prop testing when i fitted my 150 etec but i'm based at the gold coast.

Smile Re: Etec upgrade 150hp to a 200hp will I save fuel costs

Can you ring me please 0408 848 564, regarding the rebel prop. anytime. cheers Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabba_ View Post
    The reason I sugested a comp test is due to your motor being over propped.. When I motor is over propped it is lugging all the time, from trolling to WOT... Just inagine how much faster your going to wear out your rings and bearings when your motor is lugging all the time....

The shape off your boat does make sense, Hydro and airodynamics can have a major affect on speed and fuel consumption...

The SS prop you tryed is an allrounder.. The Rebel has a larger diameter and larger blade area.. It will mover more watr and provide more thrust then an SS..

That sounds correct, but if his motor is already struggling, how will this fix it????

A smaller diameter prop would let it spin up faster. Are the rebels ventilated? Might be worth trying a Merc prop that is, such as the Enertia. Superb prop on heavier boats and sounds like yours is.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbream View Post
    That sounds correct, but if his motor is already struggling, how will this fix it????

A smaller diameter prop would let it spin up faster. Are the rebels ventilated? Might be worth trying a Merc prop that is, such as the Enertia. Superb prop on heavier boats and sounds like yours is.

At the moment Marvin is running a 4 bladed Solars prop.. I felt that the Rebel with 3 blade might spin up a bit easier, and give better performance....