Thread: News Years Eve Catering

News Years Eve Catering

Another question for the learned members.

We have about 30 people coming for our new years eve bash.

Thoughts are that we will seve up finger food rather than going for a full spread meal. Stuff that can be put in the freezer and then zapped in the nuke and/or blasted in the conventional(fan forced) oven.

Have the usual stuff on the shopping list......sausage rolls, party pies, chicken nuggets, pastry triangles (various fillings), meat balls (various woolies types), mini spring rolls etc.

Just wondering if anyone had any 'different' suggestions to add to the normal boring stuff (not too expensive and not too time consuming)?

I have the midnight munchies covered with a number of different continental snags and marinated chicken pieces I will do on the bbq.

Mainly interested in the evening meal types.

Thanks in advance.
    Greg

Re: News Years Eve Catering

Have you thought of having either southern fryed chicken wings or maranated wings I prefer to cut mine into 3 giving the tips to the dog.
    Add mix and wings to double bag to coat.
    Cook in oven 200 for about 50 min turn twice.
    Youll find the southern fryed mix in woollies 2 packs does 1.5 kg easy.

pump enough grog into them Greg and they won't care what they eat.

Greg,

If you've got a heap of fish in the freezer make up a heap of thai fish balls. and serve with a dipping sauce. Can be done days before and reheated.

You could try something like this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...dw_73733.shtml
    I put coconut milk powder in mine instead of straight milk.

I think my original recipe came out of a Sally Jennings cook book (it Think anyway).

Now I just make it up.

Kebabs are also easy and good.

Brett

I always ask some guest's to bring a dish, Problem solved.
    Everybody loves "Little boys" with tomato sauce dip.

Thanks guys.

Swampman...have done the chicken wings...plenty of them (about 3kg), dog has a nice stash of tips in the fridge now, but am doing them in a marinade of BBq sauce, Tomato sauce, chicken marinade, bit of ginger, bit of garlic. Will whack them in the oven for a bit.

Pinhead...the grog will fix the 'big kids' but we have quite a number of little kids and non drinkers as well that need feeding. I have my stash of continental type snags to go on the BBQ late for the 'midnight munchies' (At that time I cant guarantee my cooking prowess...lol)

Flybloke....The 'little boys' are in the fridge and ready for action, along with lots of tommy sauce for dipping.

Brett....will save that one for a more 'discerning' group that arent as 'happy' at the time of consumption. Just bought a new freezer today as we got sick of not being able to keep fish because of lack of freezer space in the normal fridge. No fish in the current fridge/freezer. (I LOVE thai fish cakes)

Thanks
    Greg

Try these Pork Balls (Pigs Balls)

500gm pork mince
    500gm pork sausage filling (cheap processed stuff like woolies etc)
    A couple of Tbs of Lee Kum Kee Char Siu Sauce
    Optional extra garlic & ginger

Mix all ingredients well. Shape into walnut sized balls (use wet hands). Deep fry until cooked. You can do ahead of time and heat in the oven or run 3 on a small skewer and flash them on the BBQ for a bit more color and better presentation. Serve with sweet chilli sauce for dipping

Kids love them
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

potato wedges and sour cream etc. everyone loves them and cheap as chips