Thread: FADS Sunshine coast

FADS Sunshine coast

Does anyone have marks for the fads off the sunshine coast. I beleive they are still in place but cant seem to find the latest positions.

Cheers

Westy2

Re: FADS Sunshine coast

Westy2

if you join the Sunshine Coast Game Fishing Club you'll get the marks, it's all part of the membership. The scgfc places fads out every year for it's members, this is not a cheap excercise so if you want to fish them you should support the clubs that place them out there.

Join here. www.scgfc.com.au

Ian

Ps. Just a note to all who fish any fads, please dont use braid!!!!!!!!!! If the fish goes around the anchor line it will cut it off! Also there is no need to anchor on, or fish to closly to the fads , even if you troll 50m away you'll get fish and not risk damaging the fad!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

If anyone has any ground tackle (22kg ploughs, chain or SS cable) get onto me as I have another two SCGFC FADs at home ready to deploy but the ground tackle is the only thing holding me up. These are official club FADs we have approval for and send in Notice to Mariners on etc.

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    Westy2

if you join the Sunshine Coast Game Fishing Club you'll get the marks, it's all part of the membership. The scgfc places fads out every year for it's members, this is not a cheap excercise so if you want to fish them you should support the clubs that place them out there.

Join here. www.scgfc.com.au

Ian

Ps. Just a note to all who fish any fads, please dont use braid!!!!!!!!!! If the fish goes around the anchor line it will cut it off! Also there is no need to anchor on, or fish to closly to the fads , even if you troll 50m away you'll get fish and not risk damaging the fad!
    gday ian,how much a year?
    cheers mick

there were some ripper dollies hanging off #3 last monday but they were not hungry though just followed everything ..

$90 for a full year at June/July, $45 after New Years for a half year.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    $90 for a full year at June/July, $45 after New Years for a half year.
    sounds fair,cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    If anyone has any ground tackle (22kg ploughs, chain or SS cable) get onto me as I have another two SCGFC FADs at home ready to deploy but the ground tackle is the only thing holding me up. These are official club FADs we have approval for and send in Notice to Mariners on etc.
    I'm really interested in these FADs. I am in Cairns. As far as I know we don't have any of these at Cairns. What are they constructed from and who gives permission to place them? Etc.

I don't know if there are any permissions to build and place, I also made and placed about 5 FADS off the Gold Coast many years ago but then either rough seas blow up from cyclonic events or some arsehole goes and cuts them off.

Yes, there are some idiots around...

If the Government was so strong on taking pressure of bottom fishing then they should construct and place in position a number of FADS at various offshore locations....Hawaii has a few and they bloody work well.

Peter

It is a hazard to ships/mariners if there is something there that is not known, how would you be in your own boat and run over one of these fads with stainless cable and destroyed your motor.

I agree that the government should place fads/artificial reefs to sustain fishing but the qld government are as useless on tits on a bull. Thats prob why so many people put their own arti reefs and fads out. Its what it will all come down too at some point in time.

cheers Lee

Quote Originally Posted by lethal098 View Post
    It is a hazard to ships/mariners if there is something there that is not known, how would you be in your own boat and run over one of these fads with stainless cable and destroyed your motor.

I agree that the government should place fads/artificial reefs to sustain fishing but the qld government are as useless on tits on a bull. Thats prob why so many people put their own arti reefs and fads out. Its what it will all come down too at some point in time.

cheers Lee
    What? Run over cable holding an FAD in 20 metres of water? Thats the depth I would put one off cairns as the wrecks that are slowly seeming to appear less on the sounder in this depth produce great pelagics and some really great demersals at times as well.
    The only thing I can think of is a trawler fouling their nets but if they were placed near other fading fads I think that would"nt be a prob. So anyway what do people make them with?
    I remember years ago there were old cane train bins dumped off Woodgate and the macks accumulated around them. Any help on this?

old washing machines would be one of the easiest to use. Easy to get and not too heavy. It is actually illegal so I would be keeping it to yourself if you decide to go ahead. Trying to make an artificial reef or FAD with the EPA permission is near impossible. There are a couple of old threads on here with all the info.

Jeremy

odes20, a FAD is a float on the surface attached to an anchor of some description, so yes running over one would be simple if not seen in the dark. Maybe you have an aritificial reef and fad mixed up.

And yes it is illegal to put a fad /arit reef without permission.

cheers Lee

My understanding is QGFA sourced some government funding for the buoys and clubs were providing the ground tackle. This was all organised through Spike Kirkby of the Moreton Bay Gamefish Club. He arranged the floats, the X special mark on top which also acts like a radar reflector as well as the flashing beacon with the same flash as a special mark. The design is based on the NSW design where theirs are deployed by their Fisheries for everyone to use and funded by their NSW licence. At the bottom is a 22kg/50lb plough anchor, there is then about 10m of 5/8 chain and at a couple of positions along it super large links are D shackled on to let the chain raise off the bottom due to current or wave action but then taken back down by these big heavy links. At the start of the 12mm 3 strand silver nylon rope there is some hose over the rope for chafe protection. There would be 10m less rope than the depth they are anchored in of this rope. There is then a swivel Ded on and then about 10m less rope of a rope that absorbs water than the depth it is deployed in Ded to the swivel and then to a swivel at the top end which is Ded to a length of chain off the bottom of the bouy as a counterweight.

Of about the 6 we have deployed over the years only one stayed out long term so in some quarters they are not thought highly of due to the work involved in sourcing the money, assembling the gear and deploying them only to see them dissappear within a month or so. One of the two I deployed for the club this season has gone out with cable so we will see how that holds up but it still wont help when idiots tie up to them though we are not 100% sure on the mode of failure. Once deployed I e-mail Spike and he organises the Notice to Mariners on them.

I thought the government were suppossed to be deploying some FADs in the Trench as compensation for losing so much fishing area with the Moreton Bay green zones? Doing up the Harry Atkinson Artificial was the first step of this, there was suppossed to be another arty built and then the FADs placed. So far they have started on the Harry Atkinson but seem to be dragging their feet on the other ones.
    Last edited by Smithy; 28-12-2009 at 08:35 AM.

G'day Smithy,

I know the funding source as it was the same one I was going to apply for, its commonwealth funding, however last time I heard the funds are no longer available to promote sustainable fishing practices and as an aid to promote surface fishing.

I was informed the FAD's in Hawaii are apparently more robust and heavier constructed as it's required to withstand cyclonic / hurricane events (this info comes from a marine fisheries scientist who was in Hawaii, not me) And yes its also marked on Navigation charts with flashing light sequences in accordance to International Maritime Agreements

Peter