4 5.33%
  • Not counted

65 86.67%
  • Don't have opinion one way or other

6 8.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish sizes in Competitions

Fish sizes in Competitions

Should undersize fish be allowed to be counted in a Competition.

Ie. Undersize Bream or Barra or whatever.

Some competitions don't allow and others do. What is your opinion.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Re: Fish sizes in Competitions

Yes in catch and release comps. Definately not in weigh in ones.
    All I want is to catch MORE legal fish!

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken pojie View Post
    Yes in catch and release comps. Definately not in weigh in ones.

my thoughts exactly

Never should be allowed in weighin comps. A Club I am in set their min limits 1cm above any legal limit to weighin.
    Fishing! Its the way of life.
    Southwind 6.70

I think not because they aren't a legal size. However, if the competition is a CNR one and the fish are scarce then yes they should be allowed.

Thanks Tom

what is the laws about having undersize fish in your boat??
    dead or alive is there any difference under the law ???

I'm undecided

I fish in Catch & release barra comps where undersized fish are allowed (they get measured / photographed) then let go ........ no dramas

A bass or bream comp ....... you put them in a live well & you weigh them in later - These fish must be legal length & bag limits apply - You have these fish in possession so you are obliged to follow the regs ...... no dramas

More than happy to have both

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

NO,

illegal or undersize fish " in possession " is against the law. Doesn't matter if it's in a live well, esky or lunch box

Can you direct me to a website or organisation that allows undersize fish to be weighed in, that you mentioned.

Cheers phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

In any C & R comps I have entered....ALL fish have to legal length to be counted....its a bit like allowing out of season fish to be counted because they were released.....

My opinion....if it is to be counted in a comp whether weigh in or C & R...it must be legal...length and seasonal. I also have been involved in club that set acceptable comp lengths above the 'legal' length. Have caught many murray cod, out of season, in the southern dams when fishing comps for other fish, but they are not allowed even though they were released. I would like to see an ABT competitor explain to the TV audience why he had an undersize bream/bass in his livewell..even though he planned to release it....when if joe public had one in his livewell he would be prosecuted for it. (which is why you dont see them with undersize/out of season fish at the weigh in).

Keep it legal and keep it real.

Greg
    Last edited by sleepygreg; 27-12-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    In any C & R comps I have entered....ALL fish have to legal length to be counted....its a bit like allowing out of season fish to be counted because they were released.....

My opinion....if it is to be counted in a comp whether weigh in or C & R...it must be legal...length and seasonal. I also have been involved in club that set acceptable comp lengths above the 'legal' length. Have caught many murray cod, out of season, in the southern dams when fishing comps for other fish, but they are not allowed even though they were released. I would like to see an ABT competitor explain to the TV audience why he had an undersize bream/bass in his livewell..even though he planned to release it....when if joe public had one in his livewell he would be prosecuted for it. (which is why you dont see them with undersize/out of season fish at the weigh in).

Greg
    maybe I should clarify my yes......only in the instance of comps where you measure/photograph then immediately release the fish. Not to keep in live-well for weigh in. (before you all harp on about 'in possession' of undersize fish..blah blah.....surely you must sometimes have to measure fish that are close to legal to determine if they go back)

Just my personal opinion....thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post

Greg
    Greg ..... you should never see an undersized fish in an ABT bream or bass competitors live well ....... They have to be fork length measured & be a minimum legal length to be included ( so actually they will be well over the minimum legal length)

As for the ABT barra comps ...... you are able to score an undersized fish - but that is purely because you only photograph it on the measuring mat ( & with the angler) Then you put it straight back into the water .......... At the end of the session it goes on your catch sheet & the photos.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    NO,

illegal or undersize fish " in possession " is against the law. Doesn't matter if it's in a live well, esky or lunch box

Can you direct me to a website or organisation that allows undersize fish to be weighed in, that you mentioned.

Cheers phill

I have to agree with Lucky_Phill here NO!!
    Cheers Axl

Hey mylestom, hope y'all had a fine X'mas.
    In regards your ques, definitely not, under any circumstances.
    I have no experience as a comp fisho, it has never really interested me to be honest, but I can't believe this is even an issue given the laws in regards to undersize fish in possesion.....
    Is this an issue with the upcoming PB?
    Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    Hey mylestom, hope y'all had a fine X'mas.
    In regards your ques, definitely not, under any circumstances.
    I have no experience as a comp fisho, it has never really interested me to be honest, but I can't believe this is even an issue given the laws in regards to undersize fish in possesion.....
    Is this an issue with the upcoming PB?
    Cheers mate.
    Nigel,

Great christmas and no problems.

No probs with PB as I have written and updated the regulations for the comp as per the previous 7 years. Also passed with the fisheries.
    Fished a few comps and won the odd one or two and have personal thoughts, but would like to see where the thread goes.

Tnks mate

Regards
    Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

A definite NO

You should never encourage anglers to target undersize fish. They often have varied habitats and behavour compared to mature fish and can be targeted by different techniques. Remember that depending on species and other conditions mortality of C&R fish can be around 50%. It may be as low as 5 or 10% but that is still a lot of pressure on the resource
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"