Thread: how do i make a brine similar to sea water

how do i make a brine similar to sea water

Any body got an idea of how much salt to add to fresh water to give it about the same TASTE AS SEA WATER

Re: how do i make a brine similar to sea water

Hi mate it's relatively variable but mid line is about 3.3% salt so 33grams salt for every litre of water, we have a salt water pool and it runs at less 1/5 this still most think it is sea salty.
    So anyway anything between 30 and 40g/L will probably see you fine, still it will not properly taste exactly like sea water because there is other stuff in there but it will be just as salty.

cheers fnq

I guess one question would be, "why do you want sea water taste"? for cooking crabs, brining fish or something else? if it is a "one off" just get some sea water and bring it home in buckets with lids.

Yep youve got it cooking crabs and defrosting Prawns I have made brine before but can never seem to get it right. Normally I cook my crabs before comming home.
    I had to buy crab as my favourite spot resembled Queen Street. I was too far from the salt water to bring it home.

If you are using table salt (iodised salt) try using Coarse salt or butchers salt instead it's a completely different taste. cheers

Just use normal cooking salt and an old rule of thumb I was told was 6 tablespoons per gallon
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

1 cup per 8 litres of water to cook, 1 cup per 4 litres of water (ice) for the slurry does the job for me.

That was the first recipe I tried, it worked (tasted good) , so its what I have always used.

Cook'em in clean sea water job done.

if you are going to buy salt, buy 25kg pool salt from bunnings for just under $7, thats all i use to cook crabs

The brine i use when smoking fish comes from a really old book.you add salt to fresh water until a fresh uncooked egg floats in it.Dont know what salinity level that gives but its a mighty fine brine.
    See if a raw egg floats in sea water might be a way of getting it right every time.Maybe.

cheers scotty
    Last edited by nofrills; 17-04-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: had a brain storm

Why are we replying to a post from 2009 DOH

Quote Originally Posted by nofrills View Post
    Why are we replying to a post from 2009 DOH
    Its still useful info if someone does a search. Better to keep it all in one place
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Might give the egg a try in the ocean . In butchery that is definitely the standard

Also if it's sea water from Sydney you have to add 3 bondi mullet to every bucketfull to get that turdy taste.

Taste it...

Some peope like really salty prawns/crabs. Some don't. When defrosting prawns, the key is to do it slowly. Make up your salty brine, then chuck ice in it. Once it's chilled the water down, throw your prawns in it and leave them in the fridge overnighit. 24h is best, and keep adding ice as needed to keep them VERY COLD!!

This is by far the best way to defrost prawns I've found.