Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dingoes force Fraser Island camp closures

Re: Dingoes force Fraser Island camp closures

"Pigs are a hugely detrimental feral species and kangaroo's are a native species that a lot of people think are in "plague proportions". Facts are kangaroo's used to roam in packs of 10,000+ but these days a colony of 100 is a rare site."

You are obviously a pencil pusher who's idea of heading west is the Hogs breath Cafe. "A colony of 100 a rare site"? Seriously mate that statement you made right there tells me you know nothing of whats going on in the outback.

Enjoy your dingo's.

G'day crestcutter,

Here's a photo of me last month on Morney Station, about 100km west of Windorah. I go to the real west often - about half a dozen times a year. Does this give me some sort of credibility now?

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    not even worth answering that...some common sense will give you the answer.
    Sorry mate, but I work pretty extensively with native animals on a professional front, so common sense has nothing on a bit of actual knowledge. There's only one thing more ignorant than a greenie, and that's an ignorant redneck. You don't need to subscribe (or lump me) into any little group - just educate yourself with facts...there's nothing to lose.

well then..how about the dams giving the wild animals water in times of drought..irrigation giving improved pastures and grain that they feed on..I thought someone that was a professional in this field and went west quite often would have worked that out by now.

Once again..labels..and all from someone that goes west a few times a year...seems more like an urban cowboy trying to be the bush expert.

I really don't give a rats what your expertise is..back to the original..shoot the bloody dingoes on fraser that are causing the problems..end of problem...simple solution.

The fact is that they do shoot those dingoes that pose a clear and present danger to the public.

How do they gather enough info to make that decision? Mainly from the public.

When a beach camper first arrives they pull-up and have a little talk about locking up food, etc, and to discourage them by hazing ( throwing rocks ). They explain that some dingoes are tagged. There's different colours of tags and left or right ear means male or female. After the talk they leave a pink ribbon to be tied to the tent for display so other rangers know that they've been done.

They'll occasionally pop around to ask of any dingo-human interfacing or the camper might go around to the ranger station to report something.

The above might only occur before school holidays as that's what happened when we were there.

So, they gather intelligence and then make a decision to act. In this instance it was to close down a few camping areas but they have shot aggressive dingoes, previously, which always has led to an outcry.

To me, it's a fairly sensible approach. I'd still prefer that kids weren't allowed on the island at all, though.

I camp with my 2 and 4 year olds on the Island. I'm sure you've put a whole lot of thought into the idea of banning them, and someone in our nanny state parliament is probably doing a feasability study on it., but if you asked my 4 y.o. what he though he'd probably tell you to p!ss right off. Kids aren't the cause and they certainly aren't the issue here - dogs are.

Jonno, with all due respect i live out in the scrub mate, i see all sorts of weekend warriors that come out in there flash utes, as Pinhead said "urban cowboys". Ok you might head out with a few mates and have a shot but i still stand by what i said and that if you have not seen colony's of 100 plus roos your not lookin or in the wrong places mate.

My mate owns 20 000 acres near Westmar and at the moment between dingoes, pigs, and roos'the cattle dont stand a chance. The roo's are that thick on his property it is ute only shooting as you would get knocked off your bike by roo.s THousands of them mate.

And as for the bloke that said ban kids, ppffrrrtttttttttt. If one of the REAL dingoes went for my kids on that island i would not hesitate in putting a hammer between it's eyes. To me they are like grinners lol.

isn't it actually human intervention that has led them to be in such large numbers on fraser? ie. their population levels relate directly with the amount of food available much like most native animals. whacking tourists that feed them behind the ear with a stick will only solve half the issue, their numbers are high and they need to be thinned out a bit.

i'm with pinhead and a few others here johnno, if it's a direct threat to my family then i'm ready to bite back, whilst we have to be environmentally responsible, we are also still the master species on the planet too, and as such threats need to be eliminated. it's not like our families are diving with great white sharks, we are just having a camp at the beach and we as humans in this modern age should be able to walk out for a piss in the night without being munched by a frikkin wild dog.

as an interesting side note, i saw some very old photos (a few years ago now) of guys fishing at fraser in the early twentieth century. one guy fishes with his mate behind him with the bang stick to protect him from the pigs!

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    I camp with my 2 and 4 year olds on the Island.
    Enclosed campsites or open beach camping?

I'm sure you've put a whole lot of thought into the idea of banning them, and someone in our nanny state parliament is probably doing a feasability study on it.,
    Maybe. Kids being killed / mauled needs something to be done. We'll just have to see if the current management plan works. The way we'll see it doesn't work will be more deaths, I guess.

but if you asked my 4 y.o. what he though he'd probably tell you to p!ss right off.
    You know there's a dingo danger to your 4 y.o. and I'm sure you take good care. It's the other parents that just can't understand the threat of those cute little doggies. If they have their kids attacked by dingoes then that's acceptable?

Kids aren't the cause and they certainly aren't the issue here - dogs are.
    You are suddenly Australia's Benevolent Dictator :shocked: What would you do about the Fraser Island dingo situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
    I'd still prefer that kids weren't allowed on the island at all, though.
    Maybe you should be picking that statement to bits rather than Picking GBC's Post. That would have to be the statement of the year mate ,and just makes you come over as some cranky old lonely ( edited )sorry lol.
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 31-12-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Magilla,

a totally heartless, callous and uncaring post.. totally agree with GBC and Pinhead, .

Maybe. Kids being killed / mauled needs something to be done. We'll just have to see if the current management plan works. The way we'll see it doesn't work will be more deaths, I guess.
    Tangles KFC

Mod11

I take my kids to Fraser for many reasons and one being education.

I am also at the top of the species on the island and therefore I will do what I have to , to protect my family and provide a food source.

Yes, I care for the environment and camp, fish and travel responsibly.

Humans have been on this planet for a long time and therefore have equal rights, IMO, as any other animal and it is a ‘ eat or be eaten ‘ world. If a dog or any other sub-species harms my family or anyone else’s family in my presence it will be game over for them.

The duty of care regarding Dingoes on Fraser Island is shared between the Federal Government, State Government and Visitors to the island. As a parent you have the absolute duty of care for your offspring and with that care comes responsibility and retribution for any resulting issues.

I personally do not have an answer to the question raised, but I do know certain things.

Young children have been killed and injured by Dingoes on Fraser Island.

Every visitor to Fraser Island is made aware of the Dingo issue by tourist operators, EPA and barge operators, unfortunately, these warnings are not printed or spoken in all languages that visitors utilize. Hence troop carrier roll overs….. side issue and no need for comment.

By all means do not let the Dingo interfere with your holiday plans, simply be aware and prepared. Dingoes, mozzies, sandflies and people snoring in the next tent are all problems that can be dealt with, just different ways of dealing with them.

But I have no idea on how to deal with bikini clad backpackers bogged at Indian Head, so I simply look and ponder !!!!

Chilli.

Quote Originally Posted by chilli View Post
    I take my kids to Fraser for many reasons and one being education.

I am also at the top of the species on the island and therefore I will do what I have to , to protect my family and provide a food source.

Yes, I care for the environment and camp, fish and travel responsibly.

Humans have been on this planet for a long time and therefore have equal rights, IMO, as any other animal and it is a ‘ eat or be eaten ‘ world. If a dog or any other sub-species harms my family or anyone else’s family in my presence it will be game over for them.

The duty of care regarding Dingoes on Fraser Island is shared between the Federal Government, State Government and Visitors to the island. As a parent you have the absolute duty of care for your offspring and with that care comes responsibility and retribution for any resulting issues.

I personally do not have an answer to the question raised, but I do know certain things.

Young children have been killed and injured by Dingoes on Fraser Island.

Every visitor to Fraser Island is made aware of the Dingo issue by tourist operators, EPA and barge operators, unfortunately, these warnings are not printed or spoken in all languages that visitors utilize. Hence troop carrier roll overs….. side issue and no need for comment.

By all means do not let the Dingo interfere with your holiday plans, simply be aware and prepared. Dingoes, mozzies, sandflies and people snoring in the next tent are all problems that can be dealt with, just different ways of dealing with them.

But I have no idea on how to deal with bikini clad backpackers bogged at Indian Head, so I simply look and ponder !!!!

Chilli.
    That last line broke me up..classic. I just wonder how far the pondering goes ????

I've been making the trek to Fraser for quite a few years now also, always with my kids on a family holiday. We had an issue with an over inquisitive dingo with our 2 year old one year. The dog snuck down beside the car whilst the boy was paddling in a shallow low tide gutter with the Mrs sitting not 10 feet away on the cars bull bar. She ended up seeing the dog stalking the baby when it crept from behind her and past the front of the car, for a split second the dingo ended up between her and the baby, not the best spot for the dog to be, as she went ballistic and the dingo near shat itself when she charged across to pick up the boy. All the while I was fishing a gutter about 60 - 70metres away and unaware of the commotion. I ended up turning and seeing her holding the little one with the dingo still loitering. For the entire time that this was going on their was atleast 3 troopies fulll of backpackers happily clicking away taking photos as this dog nearly had a taste of my young son. I envetually got back to the scene and chased the dog away only to have the backpackers start throwing sandwiches out of the car to get some better photos. I say shoot the tourists.

I have also witnessed locals at Eurong feeding dingoes from the back door of their house, as our house looked directly down and into the kitchen of this place. They had 3 dogs sitting at the back door every day and they fed them consistently, the dogs would also go inside and go through the rubbish bin. We reported this to the rangers at the time but in the week that we were there we did not see any body take any action. Shoot these pricks also.

The dingoes on the island aren't as "pure" as most believe. It is true that they are amongst the purest strain of dingo in Australia with the least interaction with domestic dogs. But dogs were kept by many of the timber loggers and sand miners on the island and bear in mind that they were still logging on Fraser up till the early 90's. It is just that since the island has been world heritage listed and received full national park status, rather than the previous state forest status, domestic dogs have been banned and they now claim that frasers dingoes have not interbred with domestic dogs.

Kev

Sorry guys but I'm going to stand up for the dingoes.

My kids literally grew up on the island, from nappies to young women.
    I've been camping on Fraser for over 20 years. Ask yourself why are dingoes attracted to kids.

Kids always have food on them from a crusket to a sandwich.

Dingoes learn quick, pick the small one with the food for easy taking.
    I have a mate that locks his dog away cos he knows his dog will get jealous if my kids come near him.

Not much difference, watch your kids and don't feed the dingoes OR camp somewhere else.

Don't blame the dingoes!