Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dingoes force Fraser Island camp closures

Re: Dingoes force Fraser Island camp closures

Rangers using slingshots? What a joke . I do not know about sling shots but if you want to put the fear up any ferals, on anyones property, you will find you get one day shooting then they are that spooked they wont come back for weeks.
    Dingoes are not different. If they are that precious to everyone including tourism they should be doing something about it. Rather than sooking after someone has been mauled.

Not too sure about the comments made in relation to Fraser Island dingoes being ' purest in australia '.

The barge operator has sighted many a dingo swimming between Inskip Point and Fraser over the years.

LP.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by hodges4 View Post
    G'day Jonno
    Your right, I was thinking about native animals that look upon humans as food and forgot about our beloved, rare and exclusive Australian crocodiles. I really have difficulty understanding how such a dangerous animal is allowed to breed up and spread seemingly unchecked.

It seems like both these predators are given some special right of passage as when they are seen it is us who must move out of their way.

All for the sake of the tourist dollar, too bad about human life.

But seriously, how can any parent with young children really enjoy a Fraser island holiday while constantly looking over their shoulder to see if some wild dog is stalking them or their kids.

At least cull them to make them terrified of people and then a sighting will be a special thing rather than common.
    G'day hodges,

Crocodiles haven't been allowed to "breed up". They are simply establishing themselves back to their original numbers.

I am confused as to why you think we shouldn't have to move out of their way when they are seen? It is their country, their home...we have already destroyed and colonised much of their habitat, what makes us so special?

If people aren't willing to tolerate the small risk of dingo attack at Fraser, there's plenty of dingo free areas to go. Noosa is just across the road - but you'd better watch out, there's those man-eating stingrays there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Lucas View Post
    G'day hodges,

Crocodiles haven't been allowed to "breed up". They are simply establishing themselves back to their original numbers.

I am confused as to why you think we shouldn't have to move out of their way when they are seen? It is their country, their home...we have already destroyed and colonised much of their habitat, what makes us so special?

If people aren't willing to tolerate the small risk of dingo attack at Fraser, there's plenty of dingo free areas to go. Noosa is just across the road - but you'd better watch out, there's those man-eating stingrays there!
    It is also my country and my home ..if any animal harms my grandkids (kids are adult and able to look after themselves) I guarantee it will be dead..and to hell with whatever consequences arise from that action. Human life is sacrosanct.
    Fraser Island is touted by the Govt as one of the best toursit destinations in the State, therefore they have an obligation to make it as safe as possible for the tourists. Tell the parents of the kids that have been attacked that they should not have gone to the island...and we all know it is impossible to watch kids every minute of the day..the lil critters move in an inkling.

Why is there so much angst about culling animals that become dangerous. All this talk about the dingoes on Fraser being the purest. IMO, they would now have the most diulted gene pool and that is not a good thing...only weakens the breed.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    It is also my country and my home ..if any animal harms my grandkids (kids are adult and able to look after themselves) I guarantee it will be dead..and to hell with whatever consequences arise from that action. Human life is sacrosanct.
    Fraser Island is touted by the Govt as one of the best toursit destinations in the State, therefore they have an obligation to make it as safe as possible for the tourists. Tell the parents of the kids that have been attacked that they should not have gone to the island...and we all know it is impossible to watch kids every minute of the day..the lil critters move in an inkling.

Why is there so much angst about culling animals that become dangerous. All this talk about the dingoes on Fraser being the purest. IMO, they would now have the most diulted gene pool and that is not a good thing...only weakens the breed.
    Why should an animal have to die just because it poses some kind of risk? More people die from horses each year than snakes, crocs and dingos combined - should we kill all of them too? Where do you draw the line? And what purpose does killing an animal serve AFTER it's hurt someone? That's as ignorant as the redneck calls to kill a croc/shark after someone gets chomped, despite the fact that they were in the animals territory and knew the risks.

For your information, and it's totally irrelevant anyway, but hybridising species generally results in stronger specimens.

New Zealand is just over the ditch - no crocs, no snakes and plenty of fish!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    How about you shoot the locals and the backpackers that feed them?
    Couldn't agree more, definitely a good start

Quote Originally Posted by Far side View Post
    Shoot a few keep doing it for a while no need to Genocide the species but a regular shooting program makes them afraid of humans and saves their lives. Its the same with any animal.
    Removing humans from the areas is crap its our national park and we should be able to use it safely with out fear of our children being attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    its only the public that cause these dogs to hang around people now days, 35 yrs back there were plenty of them on the island if you lock up your tucker they were no problem ,stupid people feeding these dogs are making them naughty for many years 25 that i know of there are signs that say (dont feed the dingoes) but no and we have to shoot some because of some drongoes dont read ill camp anywhere on the island and they wont bother me they are the purest dingoes in australia the problem is greenhorns not reading signs or doing the right thing
    hilly
    The bottom line is that the animals are starving, and I'd guess it'd take a WHOLE lot of shooting to scare off a starving animal permanently.
    They had lived in conjunction with the aboriginals on the island until they (the aboriginals) were mostly shot out.
    Dingos on the island have always partly relied on man for food via scavenging. When forestry/mining ran the place they foraged the open dumps and as others have said - dined on brumbies which had a very short lifespan and a high mortality rate due to sand cholic.
    Parks have stopped fishermen leaving out frames, locked the bins, closed the dumps, shot the brumbies, poisoned the pigs (yes there are pigs there) and outlawed human interaction (whether cognitive or not) with the animals, all within a few generations of dog. They are obviously not coping with the change.
    As a kid we used to see dingos 'fishing' in surf gutters and the Western creeks which they now can't do either due to the huge influx of tourists.

It is a bigger picture than just people feeding them - though it is an utterly stupid thing to do if you care about the long term survival of them.

I've got no answers because I like them there and would miss them if they ceased to exist. However I think that the population has always been artificially supported, and to simply remove their food source was cruel to the animals, and the outcome which we have all seen was always going to be the same. Children have been killed by starving animals who have been forced into that situation by a pathetic government management policy.

Why should an animal have to die just because it poses some kind of risk? More people die from horses each year than snakes, crocs and dingos combined - should we kill all of them too? Where do you draw the line? And what purpose does killing an animal serve AFTER it's hurt someone? That's as ignorant as the redneck calls to kill a croc/shark after someone gets chomped, despite the fact that they were in the animals territory and knew the risks.

For your information, and it's totally irrelevant anyway, but hybridising species generally results in stronger specimens.

If you hybridise (is that a word??) then they are no longer pure dingoes..they are just cross breed mongrels..so what is the purpose in that ? Just creating a possibly more dangerous breed of animal.

So if you have kids and one of them is attacked by one of these dogs you will just pat the dog and tell it to go away..yeah right.

Why the dramas over culling some dogs on Fraser..it is done every day on the mainland tp lessen the stock losses...poisons, traps and shooting..what is the difference?

GBC..I don't think anyone wants them wiped out but some culling may be necessary then the natural food source may be there for them.

And start the culling sooner rather than later while any natural food source may be able to keep up with demand. Problem is the easiest food source is from humans feeding the nice doggies and they wont go back to their natural prey while the easy feed is there. I don't blame them.

Maybe trapping and desexing may be an altenative to culling. It would reduce the numbers long term but would be costly.

If you hybridise (is that a word??) then they are no longer pure dingoes..they are just cross breed mongrels..so what is the purpose in that ? Just creating a possibly more dangerous breed of animal.

So if you have kids and one of them is attacked by one of these dogs you will just pat the dog and tell it to go away..yeah right.

Why the dramas over culling some dogs on Fraser..it is done every day on the mainland tp lessen the stock losses...poisons, traps and shooting..what is the difference?
    G'day mate,

Hence the reason I said it was totally irrelevant to this topic anyway

My position is that we are visitors to Australia - who are we to alter millions of years worth of evolution just to make us feel a little safer, or to save a bit of money? Rather than forcing Australia to adapt to us, we should adapt to it.

I am actively involved with feral pig, dog and cat control with my business. My discussion hasn't been solely limited to dingos, but mainly people attitudes that "If it can hurt me or my kids, I'm gonna shoot it".

Cheers

I just see the end of the Fraser dingos isn't too far off I suppose - just too hard to manage with policy.

I've got no probs with culling:

a: if it is part of a well thought out end game to protect a wild population.

or

b: if the animal has been aggressive.

My wife and father were surrounded at Yankee Jack Ck a few years back by five dogs in a very well thought out process. I watched it happen in a matter of seconds as they materialised out of the scrub about 15 metres apart. Luckily for them the tender was at hand, but there was a few tense moments there. It has to be seen to be believed.

G'day mate,

Hence the reason I said it was totally irrelevant to this topic anyway

My position is that we are visitors to Australia - who are we to alter millions of years worth of evolution just to make us feel a little safer, or to save a bit of money? Rather than forcing Australia to adapt to us, we should adapt to it.

I am actively involved with feral pig, dog and cat control with my business. My discussion hasn't been solely limited to dingos, but mainly people attitudes that "If it can hurt me or my kids, I'm gonna shoot it".

Cheers
    sorry..I am not a visitor..I am resident.

My attitude still remains..if it hurts my family I will kill it..I make no apologies for that. I have said previously..if one of my dogs ever harmed anyone I would be the first to shoot it.

I cannot follow your reasoning...we should adapt to the country instead of making the country adapt to us. By that reasoning we would have no irrigation..no dams for same..and those items have assisted the native animals survival to no end...as well as the introduced pests.

GBC is on the money..culling to sustain is the way to go..same as the roo population...there would not be as many of them or pigs or any other wild animal without the improvements mad has made to the countryside.

I wonder where would the dingoes on Fraser be without the food sources they seek from humans. Would there be enough food on Fraser to sustain them or would they have died out ?

sorry..I am not a visitor..I am resident.

My attitude still remains..if it hurts my family I will kill it..I make no apologies for that. I have said previously..if one of my dogs ever harmed anyone I would be the first to shoot it.

I cannot follow your reasoning...we should adapt to the country instead of making the country adapt to us. By that reasoning we would have no irrigation..no dams for same..and those items have assisted the native animals survival to no end...as well as the introduced pests.

GBC is on the money..culling to sustain is the way to go..same as the roo population...there would not be as many of them or pigs or any other wild animal without the improvements mad has made to the countryside.

I wonder where would the dingoes on Fraser be without the food sources they seek from humans. Would there be enough food on Fraser to sustain them or would they have died out ?
    G'day mate,

You still haven't answered my question; Why kill something that has hurt you because you were in its domain? Most people who cop a love bite from a croc or a shark share two things in common - they were in the animals domain AND they don't want the animal killed. For your information, my best mate was killed by a "dangerous" native animal about 5 years ago, and the first thing we did was make sure they didn't kill it as it was his mistake, not the animals.

You're on the money with regards to irrigation and dams - a lot of them have a massive environmental impact...the amount of water taken out of the Murray Darling system has caused it to run backwards! You say that dams and irrigation have assisted native animals no end...do you have any proof of that? They were doing pretty good before we got here without any help...

Culling to sustain - do you have any proof of that working? By all means have an opinion, but at least have an educated one...you mention pigs as "wild animals" in the same breath as kangaroo's. Pigs are a hugely detrimental feral species and kangaroo's are a native species that a lot of people think are in "plague proportions". Facts are kangaroo's used to roam in packs of 10,000+ but these days a colony of 100 is a rare site.

There are plenty of food items available for the dingoes on Fraser. Freshwater turtles, various species of large lizards, many species of mammals, fish, birds etc. They cohabited with the aboriginals but were definitely not dependent on them.

G'day mate,

You still haven't answered my question; Why kill something that has hurt you because you were in its domain? Most people who cop a love bite from a croc or a shark share two things in common - they were in the animals domain AND they don't want the animal killed. For your information, my best mate was killed by a "dangerous" native animal about 5 years ago, and the first thing we did was make sure they didn't kill it as it was his mistake, not the animals.

You're on the money with regards to irrigation and dams - a lot of them have a massive environmental impact...the amount of water taken out of the Murray Darling system has caused it to run backwards! You say that dams and irrigation have assisted native animals no end...do you have any proof of that? They were doing pretty good before we got here without any help...

Culling to sustain - do you have any proof of that working? By all means have an opinion, but at least have an educated one...you mention pigs as "wild animals" in the same breath as kangaroo's. Pigs are a hugely detrimental feral species and kangaroo's are a native species that a lot of people think are in "plague proportions". Facts are kangaroo's used to roam in packs of 10,000+ but these days a colony of 100 is a rare site.

There are plenty of food items available for the dingoes on Fraser. Freshwater turtles, various species of large lizards, many species of mammals, fish, birds etc. They cohabited with the aboriginals but were definitely not dependent on them.
    not even worth answering that...some common sense will give you the answer.

because its the law of the jungle, if an animal attacks and hurts or kills another it will not stop, what you are saying is rubbish.

animal behavior is something you know nothing about.

I have a question for you , What do we do with humans who hurt or kill another?.

I will jump in here and say we lock them up and for a good reason...
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>
    To everyone else......

Once a dingo has a little snack on someone he knows the fear is on the other foot and will continue to do what he has learnt and i hear a why? this is because he now knows who the boss is.

Once dingos have lost the fear of humans they have the upper hand and will push the envolope further and further.The only way to deal with it is too scare the crap out of them, regular shooting is one such a way of bringing back the fear factor.Once a couple of their mates get dropped they soon start to learn that man with straight shiny boom stick means not good and might make me sick.

Another option would be to catch offending dingo's and put them on a good behavior bond, if they break the good behavior bond they will have to go to dingo rehab, at rehab they will get slapped on the bottom, naughty little dingo, and be taught to sit, good boy.

If persons dont want them to be shot how about using the armed forces to pepper them with rubber bullets, those pesky dingo's will think twice before ever walking up to a person anymore.

I actually like the idea of using the slingshots, give everyone that stays on frazer a slingshot , the kids will have a ball but the problem is after a week there wouldnt be a dingo in cooee of the place, the dingo's will be sitting deep in the cover shaking like a mexican chihuahua and to afraid to pee.

No one has mentioned using greenies as a weapon to deter dingo's , the idea is to send in 1000 greenies , they can run around trying to be one with the dingo's, after the dingo's have been subjected to sheer greenyish make love and not war songs for a week they will pack their bags and line up at the barge for safe passage back to the mainland and far away from the greenies as they possibly can get.Then the place will be over run by a far worse than dingo's, sorry not such a good idea after all but on second thoughts the kids running round with slingshots would love it.

Cheers