Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ham In Coke

Ham In Coke

Just thought I would share a family favourite with you all.
    Ham in Coke or Pepsi.
    Take skin off ham and criss cross the fat with a sharp knife. place cloves (optional) in the diamonds you have created on the fat.
    Place ham fat down and pour 2 litres of coke over in an alfoil tray. cover with tinfoil and bake on low 100-105 degrees for 1 hour. Turn ham over and uncover. Turn up oven to 120 degrees and bake for a further hour. Coke will glaze the ham. let cool on a rack and slice to suit.
    I personally dont like the cloves so leave them out. Also good to add onions to the coke when cooking. I like to reduce some of the liquid to pour over ham. add a little red wine and butter (NOT MARG) for flavour and to take the edge off the coke.
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

Re: Ham In Coke

This actually works, Coke also makes a good ingredient for a bbq sauce
    You can take the edge off the coke prior to cooking by first simmering the 2 litres in a pot where you can add cloves, star aniseed, onion, red wine or what ever.
    Reduce it a bit, Let cool and then do what NEWBY said.
    It comes out a fantastic red colour and tastes superb

I am going to give this a go, IGA had a special on coke for $1 per litre so we are stocked up

Does this actually recook or cook the ham?, we where thinking of cooking properly a ham this Christmas. How long would it take for say a 5.5kg bone in half leg?

cheers fnq

yeah coke baked ham rocks, remember all hams you buy are already smoked/cooked so all you are doing is heating through and introducing a flavour to it. Cheers Lee

Just a heads up when cooking with Coke.
    Dont stick your head over the pot and sniff, and dont taste test too much.
    All that crap evaporating can turn you off the final presented dish.
    Your family or friends will think it tastes great, but if its up YOUR nose, you may feel like you are just over the flavour.
    This goes with most things that have Vinegar/Acid bass ingredient.
    Its hard to do, But at least you will enjoy the meal the same as your family /guest's will.

Thanks Newby. That is the sort of thing I was looking for in my thread 'Baked Ham'.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by flybloke View Post
    This actually works, Coke also makes a good ingredient for a bbq sauce
    You can take the edge off the coke prior to cooking by first simmering the 2 litres in a pot where you can add cloves, star aniseed, onion, red wine or what ever.
    Reduce it a bit, Let cool and then do what NEWBY said.
    It comes out a fantastic red colour and tastes superb
    Thats funny....To think that I, or anyone, would post a recipe that DOESNT work reinforces my decision NOT to trust anyone EVER.
    But surely, ya cant be serious with that comment eh? "This actually works" lol
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    Thanks Newby. That is the sort of thing I was looking for in my thread 'Baked Ham'.

Cheers
    Greg
    My Pleasure.
    NEWBY T.G.

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    I am going to give this a go, IGA had a special on coke for $1 per litre so we are stocked up

Does this actually recook or cook the ham?, we where thinking of cooking properly a ham this Christmas. How long would it take for say a 5.5kg bone in half leg?

cheers fnq
    Himate, doesnt matter how big the ham, its the coke and any additions you put in (onions, spices etc) that you need to cook. Your only reheating the ham and allowing time for the flavours to "infuse" (Thats the cooking word of the decade...) 1 hour fat down and 1 - 1 1/2 hours fat up. bast thefat side up ocasionally to get a really nice glaze. My kids go ape $hit over this stuff. And thats great cause it leaves more prawns for me.
    NEWBY T.G.

Just finished cooking this, i used just coke/ salt and onions also some garlic, it's different and to me a certain improvement over a typical ham, need to wait for the family to make it home for a taste to be sure it's also to their liking, if it's not too bad, more for me!

The coke didn't reduce like I expected it too in the time I gave, so I didn't bother with a final glaze like covering.

cheers fnq

We tried this on xmas day with our left ouer ham and was pleasantly surprised

Cheers Graham

Have ya tried it with a tad of Bundy mixed in with the Coke newby:huh: ??..:grin: ...

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Have ya tried it with a tad of Bundy mixed in with the Coke newby:huh: ??..:grin: ...
    Mateeeeee
    Jacks maybe, Bundy???? Blah...Dogs pee and paint stripper would be better.
    When ya comin in for a coffee ya old bugger?
    NEWBY T.G.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

volvo now ya talking a bit of the bear improves any thing.
    cheers hilly

Comming in for a Cuppa!!???:undecided: , jayzus mate i think ya got a big sign in reception "If da Greek Rings or comes in , tell im i'm away lol"..
    Rang again yesterdday but "YEP!! " "Big fella is away" ..
    Geez mate just as well i'm not looking ta buy a Car ey lol...
    Give me a buz when your about and i'll drop by..