Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poor form from fisho's

Angry Re: Poor form from fisho's

Yep,
    I was there too, and I would not ask that Sharkcat for assistance even if my life depended on it after what I heard him say on radio that day, as I was also at Skyes Reef that day and even we offered assistance if required.

They left them go it alone to Heron Is and didn't even follow as back up, he painted a scene of a boat full of foreign people who did not speak english. Also made it sound like the injured guy would be dead in minutes as he was bitten all over and would die from blood loss.

Everyone can have an opinon, but what went on that day I will not forget as long as I live, and many others and I, will always remmember!

It is the sadest thing you will ever hear over a marine radio!

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman View Post
    I was out there that day at Skyes Reef.

The guys they asked for assistance were in a Cat with twin 225hp motors.

Heron Island is only a 30min run in a boat like that and a lot more stable for the injured guy.

Blood loss was the major concern.

Heron Island is also equiped with medical Staff, which had him stablised when the Resue Chopper arrived.

The wind that day was only 2 to 5 knots. Also there radio was working at the boat when we left.

Every Dog Has His Day, and one day this guy in the Cat may need there assistance, I wonder what action they will take! Assist When Assistance is Needed as a Duty of Care.

Re: Poor form from fisho's

laurie.. can you kind of quote the radio conversation as best you remember it??

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by kokomo View Post
    laurie.. can you kind of quote the radio conversation as best you remember it??

cheers
    The Radio conversation was from the kat to VMR Gladstone:

Kat:

VMR, VMR there has been a shark attach! A young man has been attached by a shark. They are not Australian and WE DONT UNDERSTAND THEM and are now heading for Heron Is for assistance. Can VMR assist with assistance as there is blood everwhere and they are having trouble stopping the bleeding. The wounds a horrific, he's been bitten on the leg, arm and shoulder!

VMR Gladstone:

Are you still in contact with vessel with the injured man.

Kat:

No we've lost them.

Heron Is:

Heron Is to VMR we have our medical staff standing by to provide assistance. Do you know about how long till they arrive?

VMR Gladstone:

No, we don't. We now have a nurse standing by.

Kat:

They should be there in 10 to 15 minutes.

VMR Gladstone:

Heron Island a Medical Chopper in enrout to Heron Island.

Heron Island:

They have arrived and we are providing assistance.

This is the worst thing I have heard over a radio! during this Emergeny there was still people trying to talk over the radio transmissions. some people need to forget the fishing chat for 15 minutes so that the VHF can be used for what it is intended for EMERGENCY!

(AS CLOSE AS I CAN REMMEMBER)

both these threads have some great posts

http://spearoz.org/index.php?topic=9355.0

http://www.spearfishing.com.au/

under forum/ team adrenaline find the shark thread

I must be missing something Laurie even though your report of the radio contacts has been read a number of times.

Why do you describe it as the worst thing you have ever heard on the radio??

Radio contact was made Kat to VMR a report given and the rest appears to be ok judging by the responses and preparation. It seems as though there was a language difficulty. If someone was yelling for assistance in a language other than English I wouldn't understand them either and the reverse could be true - if I was yelling for help in English to a boat filled with people who were not familiar with English.

I just finished reading those thread links posted and it's all a bit of smack in the gob, it never ceases to amaze me how 'strange' and disappointing people can often be. I always allow more first credence to what the typical bloke from the street says than the authorities, media or government but this story is all over the place...even to the point of the species of shark involved.

A person (a nosy one) needs to hear the taped conversation...do these exist?

Anyway it's past the stage where in my life I would have mentally or physically turned my back and walked away.

Might all come out in the wash later??

cheers fnq

Without supporting or condemning anyone, it is important to remember that some people handle themselves well in emergencies, and others do not. These are basic personality traits, enhanced by prior experience.

I have watched the least likely people stand up and be counted in serious emergencies, and also watched those you expect to be ok crumble completely under that pressure.

Some people will panic where others will not, and panic is a relative thing. Some people will apear to not be panicing, however under scrutiny their actions and decisions were panic affected.

Language barriers, or even just heavy accents can also increase stress levels in emergencies, due to percieved lack of information.

When hiring people who will accept emergency responsibilities, there is a particular type of person who will be targeted, because it is not a job for everyone. Some people are simply better than others.

When reviewing even well managed emergencies, there are always lessons and opportunities for improvement for all involved.

It is better to simply move forward rather than to criticise and condemn. Make a plan for yourselves, and encourage freinds and associates to to the same - How would you act when confronted by an emergency? Run scenarios through your head and be familiar with your potential courses of action in various situations.

People who have a prior plan, or general understanding of what to do in various emergencies are much more likely to achieve a successful outcome than a person who is suddenly confronted unawares with the same problem.

best to simply move forward

Mick

Very, very correct Trueblue. At one end of the spectrum a percentage of the population will just keel over in a dead faint at the sight of blood or an open wound - at the other end a certain number will cope remarkably well. In between there are all sorts of reactions.

Many can only guess at how they will react - most of the population are never exposed to the sights of traumatic injuries nor the resulting moans, screams, odors or just the stillness of the recently expired. Shock and adrenaline rush adds to the confusion.

It's a bit much to expect every member of the public to handle emergencies with the competence shown by seasoned Ambulance officers and Fire and Emergency personnel.

Whether the above general statements relate in any way to the incident under discussion cannot be known. I'm not into judging or criticizing the responses of any of the participants.

Quote Originally Posted by tigermullet View Post
    I must be missing something Laurie even though your report of the radio contacts has been read a number of times.

Why do you describe it as the worst thing you have ever heard on the radio??

Radio contact was made Kat to VMR a report given and the rest appears to be ok judging by the responses and preparation. It seems as though there was a language difficulty. If someone was yelling for assistance in a language other than English I wouldn't understand them either and the reverse could be true - if I was yelling for help in English to a boat filled with people who were not familiar with English.

To be so close, and yet so far, and still unable to help, is a hopeless position to be in.

The discription sounded like the young guy was going to bleed out.

The young guy injured and his mates were all as Aussie as you can get.

I suppose panick, and yelling must of confused things, as he also had only serious arm wounds. The Shark was a Bronz Whaler, not a Bull Shark.

I'll remmember that radio call for a long time to come. I'm just glad he's OK.

Laurie

Thanks Laurie. I see what you mean now and it would not have been nice to hear the conversation yet not able to render assistance.

The young bloke is ok, from what I understand and that is the main thing even though he will have some or a lot of physiotherapy to get through.

Have just finished reading this thread and I think it should be posted on the boating forum as well mister mod as , I think, more would read it there .It is more a boating issue than a spearo issue.

This thread is very thought provoking , especially in the way it pans out to make us all question how we would react in an emergency situation. Things can seem very simple on land but on the water is another place altogether. Thanks trueblue for making the whole issue relevant to everyone.
    Last edited by Jarrah Jack; 23-01-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: more info

Thanks Jarrah Jack, this thread was moved ??????????????????????.i think from memory i posted it in the boating forum but somebody????????????????? moved it to hear????????????????????????????.

I also thought it was more relevant to general boating than Spearfishing?????????????????????????????????????? ??????.

Just my thoughts,but i must be a dope.

Steve

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent