Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sorry Nagg we tried !

Re: Sorry Nagg we tried !

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Nice rods Brian (& reels) - though typically the landed price will be around the same as a Samurai Reaction here ......... which is better ?????? ..... both are excellent rods

Chris

Talking spin? I guess we're looking at the snapper range, #402 and #502, im not a fan of 2 piece sticks as you know mate

Im watching with interest, Im also on the hunt for the "perfect" spin stick, that suits my style.

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Talking spin? I guess we're looking at the snapper range, #402 and #502, im not a fan of 2 piece sticks as you know mate

Im watching with interest, Im also on the hunt for the "perfect" spin stick, that suits my style.
    My Samurai bc rod is also two piece .......... & it is simply the best barra rod I have owned or used.

I'm not sure if the spin rod is ...... joined at the butt section like the baitcaster ..... or a more traditional mid section join .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    Yes Chris i feel your pain,

A couple of years ago i was up the Pine River and was having a good time until i lost my Shimano Stella 2500 on a 7 foot T-CURVE rod.

What happened was, i had a few fish in the live well that needed some fresh water so i placed the rod in the rod holder and turned the pump on the refresh the water and i turned around just in time to see one of those large terns swoop in and grab thge plastic that was swinging about 18 inches down from the rod tip.

The bird just had enough power to lift the rod out of the holder and drop it in the water, mate i was shattered, over a thousand dollars worth of gear goonneee.

Three boats dragged grapple hooks for two days in the area, we pulled up plenty of old crab pot frames and other rubbish but no sign of my pride and joy.

I still get bad dreams about that mate so i can guess how you feel.

Cheers,
    John.

Hi John ....... there is no worst feeling than loosing an outfit over the side - this one - I tried to do it last year on the ABT tour ( at Awoonga) - but dove in and saved it .
    This time ..... just knocked off those big flat decks that these glass bass boats have ...... and silently it sank into the abyss .......
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post

I had a good look at the 402 today ...... & hung a 3500 Certate HD off it ........ very noice.

The join is just ahead of the 1 piece grip section ....... about 1/3rd of the rod length ( certainly no flat spots & no flex in the butt section) ...... well worth considering at under $500 from my little chinese mate in Sydney

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

G'day Chris,

I'm running a Certate 3500 HD off the 502 which is nice and was considering the 402 as well next year (to go with either the TD Advantage 3500 or my other 3500 HD). The 502 is awesome and I expect the same of the 402.

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by t4topcat View Post
    G'day Chris,

I'm running a Certate 3500 HD off the 502 which is nice and was considering the 402 as well next year (to go with either the TD Advantage 3500 or my other 3500 HD). The 502 is awesome and I expect the same of the 402.

Cheers

Chris
    Thanks Chris

Going on my baitcast version .... It doesn't surprise me that you think highly of your 502 - they are certainly sweet , well made & functional rods.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

To be honest, I would trade my 3500HD down a size to a 3000 for the right reel. I use it on an S10 and fits well with it, but the smaller body of a 3000 series with a longer handle than std would be more than a match for barra and still sit very nicely on the S10. I did have a 2500R on an Egrell S4 that, before going to the briny depths, was very useful in keeping a good barra sized jew from bricking me in the reef in 30m off tweed.
    Kim uses a 2500R certate on her 4-7kg Pfleuger President. Seems to peform well.....right up until she lets them jump off!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    To be honest, I would trade my 3500HD down a size to a 3000 for the right reel. I use it on an S10 and fits well with it, but the smaller body of a 3000 series with a longer handle than std would be more than a match for barra and still sit very nicely on the S10. I did have a 2500R on an Egrell S4 that, before going to the briny depths, was very useful in keeping a good barra sized jew from bricking me in the reef in 30m off tweed.
    Kim uses a 2500R certate on her 4-7kg Pfleuger President. Seems to peform well.....right up until she lets them jump off!!
    The 3500 HD is a bit heavier & has a bigger handle than a std Certate 3500 - so it looks & feels bulkier .

The 3000 was pretty good (very good) but - IMO is was just a fraction small to balance out rods that had a longer split grip arrangement ( thats why I looked for a 3500)
    No doubt that a 2500 would do the job ....... but for me , Nah!

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nagg get an S-10 mate, perfect for the 3500.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Quote Originally Posted by LostNearBribie View Post
    Nagg get an S-10 mate, perfect for the 3500.
    I've played with a few now .... including a split grip jobbie - - - IMO it feels a better snapper rod than barra

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Here's a few pics of my S10 in action. It does it easy

Another angle

One more

90'ish fish.

For hopping and rolling plastics around the weed edges it does a great job, a lighter outfit would possibly be better as the generally opens areas this style of fishing is employed affords a bit of security. The fish from the above pics was no horse but as most would agree, the 90cm class fish do punch pretty hard and play up a bit. This combo with 30lb whiplash braid and 40lb Penn 10X leader had this fish in the net in pretty quick time. Next trip we may get an opportunity to test it further with some heavy timber "Rumble in the Jungle", "knock down and drag out", "Stop it or Pop it" kind of antics....although I don't really think it suits that style of fishing.

Cheers, Rod.

Kimmy does good pics Roo, she has to much time on her hands and should be catching more barra!
    You right about the 90+, they punch above their weight.

Another angle

One more

90'ish fish.

For hopping and rolling plastics around the weed edges it does a great job, a lighter outfit would possibly be better as the generally opens areas this style of fishing is employed affords a bit of security. The fish from the above pics was no horse but as most would agree, the 90cm class fish do punch pretty hard and play up a bit. This combo with 30lb whiplash braid and 40lb Penn 10X leader had this fish in the net in pretty quick time. Next trip we may get an opportunity to test it further with some heavy timber "Rumble in the Jungle", "knock down and drag out", "Stop it or Pop it" kind of antics....although I don't really think it suits that style of fishing.

Cheers, Rod.
    Dont get me wrong Rod ..... the S10 is no doubt a capable barra spin rod - Though I'm looking for something a little more refined for potentially smaller presentations - but still be able to control a barra.
    Its pretty easy to find a spin stick that will cast 110mm slick rigs & stop barra ....... but try to find one that can cast smaller flick baits & frogs well + have the lower down grunt to land a decent barra ...... then it become decidedly more difficult (specially if you want it as a true double hander).

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Another angle

One more

90'ish fish.

Cheers, Rod.
    Hi Rod, Mate i have had an S10 for some time now, in fact i had it at Mondy for the winter committee meeting. I did a whole lot of question asking and looking around before i bought it.
    I strapped a 4000 Stella on to it loaded with 20 lb Finns braid, used leaders from 30 lb through to 80 lb.

When used with slick rigs, hollow bellies its great, but i have a stack of baitcasters that do that, has a stack of power in the bottom end, great snapper rod but i must say that i am dissapointed with its performance with the lighter weighted lures.

The problem i have with its inability to cast light weights, don't get me wrong if i increase the lure weight it will throw it out of sight, coupled with the fact that the guides all go green when shown salt water, i fixed this by spraying with Lanox but then the metal ring on the large guide cracked and the insert fell out, great no more use on that trip.
    So there you go mate, maybe a year old and its costing me to have a part replaced and i can't throw light weights, its not what i wanted or thought i was getting and they are not what you would call a cheap rod.

The blank appears to be a ripper and everything apart from the guides is well done, final assement, a great snapper rod.

Naggers is right in my mind, you need that light,high action tip for flicking light weights but with a bottom third that has real balls.
    Years ago a mate made me up a rod that was out of a Silaflex blank, extended the butt with another piece of glass and i could flick an unweighted bait (part fillet of sea gar) with 15 lb mono 30 odd yards, it was great for fishing the washes around the oceans rocks from the boat.

Cheers,
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I had a good look at the 402 today ...... & hung a 3500 Certate HD off it ........ very noice.

The join is just ahead of the 1 piece grip section ....... about 1/3rd of the rod length ( certainly no flat spots & no flex in the butt section) ...... well worth considering at under $500 from my little chinese mate in Sydney

Chris

Was yarning to a mate yesteday who gave them a wrap as well.