Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camera Recomendations

Re: Camera Recomendations

Mate I have a Sony Alpha DSLR and love it.
    The first three or four models are within your budget and you will get a couple of lens options etc with that.

http://www.sony.com.au/productcategory/dslr-camera
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Hey Leighton

Mate I would not go passed Canon get an DSLR even with the base model camera and lens the glass in the lens is very good one of the most important things to have the camera bodies are very solid Canon is one of the most user friendly DSLR's around.

Dave.
    I am not an Angler I am an Athlete of the sea.............<><

And get a good quality bag also to hold all the lenses, disks and the book of words on how to use the many different features and modes that your new camera will have

Use a good soft cloth to clean the lenses - DO NOT USE TISSUES as they are made from wood and can scratch lenses

A tripod is a great addition to a setup - shake free pics - and excellent for taking a series of panorama pics to stitch together a lot easier than handheld ones

leighton
    if you intend to take it on a boat , 4wding or out doors alot invest in a pelican case or simmilar that has a tough watertight seal and throw in some of those moisture absorbing satchels that are the size of a tea bag just to eliminate any chance of moisture build up in the case, i have had my nikon dslr in a pelican case for 4 years now it is on the water once nearly every week and it is still like new.
    there are a lot of great cameras for your dollar atm so the choice will be tough but also consider a power flash for around 5-6 hundred bucks , really makes a difference on a boat with filling in shaded areas such as under hats and cuts out a lot of shadows.
    cheers swano

Have a look at http://www.dpreview.com/ for the best write up/ comparison of digital cameras on the net

mike

I reckon for fishing you cant go past one of those Olympus tough cameras. Although not sure whether you want a SLR style, although I assume so by your budget. As others said, maybe 2 is in order, a DSLR and maybe $400 on a olympus tough or similar. I have one and can't fault it, great when you are fishing by yourself and you want to get quick snaps of the fish without worrying about slime and wet hands, you just dunk the camera after you release the fish to wash it off. Also takes good pictures. I think those DSLR's would be a pain for fishing but then again they have a purpose.

Cheers
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

I'd be looking at the Nikon D5000, Comes with a twin lens kit for under the $1500 mark.

One thing I really like about this cam is the screen is totally adjustable and swivels out of the way when not needed.

Dave
    good advice. mate iv got one of these paid around $1600 but got a heap of other gear with it and its awsome i love it have a look at this store http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/index.htm or check out ebay.do a store search for imagingwould1 there very helpful and have some good deals
    F@#k being at work lets go fishing

Anyone here used Ricoh Camera's.

I was looking at one yesterday and had some thoughts of possibly?....My next camera..?

I have always been a Canon man.

Pete

Have you come up with your list on what you want the camera for, why you want it, what it has to do, etc. If so post it up and might give us a better idea of a recommendation.

Don't underestimate how a camera feels in your hands, I reccomend going in to one of the major stores and have a play with a few to see what you like. As others have mentioned dpreview is a great starting place for specs and reviews.

I went for a Nikon D70 4 or 5 years back and haven't looked back, and it will be a while before I need to upgrade. Point and shoots are good and have their place, but for consistent reliability of taking good photos, DSLR is hard to beat.

I reccommend considering buying one lense, something in the vicinity of 18-200mm as opposed to a twin lense kit, will save changing lenses when you are out and about and should cover most scenarios. Although the budget may not stretch that far once you have factored in to your $1500 a decent memory card, bag, UV filter, Polarising Filter etc. A 50mm f1.8 fixed lense is a well spent $200 also, great for portrait shots of family etc, and pretty good quality (in the Nikon and Canon at least).

Scott.

Thanks for all the input
    Currently looking at the
    Nikon D90
    Canon 50D
    Canon 500D
    Just seeing what lens packages are out there and for what prices.
    At the moment we are leaning towards the 500D for price, ease of use and its a little lighter ( wife ) than the other. Although not as packed with features as the other two I am certain all of the leading Brand SLR's will more than satisfy our needs.

Canon 50D
    Canon 500D

The Kit lenses arn't real flash (there ok)
    Better off just getting the body and getting an L series Lens if you can
    Thats if you want awesome pictures.

50D 1st then 500D 2nd

Leighton

I have a 400D and can not fault the 500D it is a great entry level camera.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol_P View Post
    Anyone here used Ricoh Camera's.

I was looking at one yesterday and had some thoughts of possibly?....My next camera..?

I have always been a Canon man.

Pete
    Stay with canon

Hi Leighton, mate I've got a 500D and it's a great camera but honestly if I had my time over I'd go a Nikon. In all the independant reviews I've found, Nikon's perform better in Low light with less 'grain' at higher ISO settings and their standard kit lenses generally rate marginally higher. The D5000 also rated higher in picture quality than the 500D in all the reviews I read. I've only got time for a short reply but let me know if you'd like any more specific info, I did a lot of research before buying mine. There really isn't much between any of these cameras, they all have their pros and cons, my pick from your options would be the Nikon D90

One point to note and part of the reason at the time that I bought a Canon was that Canon's are still manufactured in Japan whilst the Nikons I looked at (D90 and D5000) were made in Thailand.