Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barra Dams On A Shoe String Budget

Re: Barra Dams On A Shoe String Budget

Well with the ever climbing cost of each run on a strict budget sleeping in the tub no beer simple food a run will cost around 110 each add 20 for beer each and it a far better trip.

Most trips I like to go for a week or so, so total cost is around 500 maily because i like to have emegency money might need a lure or a fresh carton of beer, but at the end of the day aslong as I there and not here on this button basher I am mile away in glee

Actually ....... tips like buying your fuel (boat) or booze the pay before lessen the impact considerably
    Shared cost (2 or 3 anglers) is also an obvious one
    Buying a roast & freezing it beforehand.
    Tackle ... bits a pieces through the year ( specially line & lures).
    Make your own block ice .

AVOID THE GIN GIN CRAB POT

& there are probably heaps of other cost saving tips

What are some others

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

when cooking for the family spag bol ect make a little extra and freeze some in contatiners for the next trip away i do it with homemade pea and ham soup for the winter trips

shane

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Actually ....... tips like buying your fuel (boat) or booze the pay before lessen the impact considerably
    Shared cost (2 or 3 anglers) is also an obvious one
    Buying a roast & freezing it beforehand.
    Tackle ... bits a pieces through the year ( specially line & lures).
    Make your own block ice .

AVOID THE GIN GIN CRAB POT

& there are probably heaps of other cost saving tips

What are some others

Chris
    Longer trips (as in more days - not distance) give you better value for your fuel dollars Or move to Gin Gin or Gladstone

Do all your shopping/and take preprepared meals so you don't need to do much cooking, or do any extra trips to the shops. Or you can just live on musilea bars and tinned food, like I did on my solo Mondy trip.

Book the cheapest/Dodgiest accommodation you can find and pack as many mates in as possible. Just make sure you bring ear plugs, as there is usually one woodcutter in the group

Or..... camp out on the boat/bank, if you opt for the bank lookout for ant colonies, insect plagues and curious cows. But at the moment with so many islands emerging at Mondy, you could have your own (not so) secluded island getaway, complete with good amounts of campfire fodder

Don't loose expensive fishing outfits overboard, or allow your Minn Kota to self deploy. These things tend to make trips more expensive!

Cheers, I think it must be nearly Rum O' Clock!

Matt

I could halve my costs if I didn't bring The missus .....then I could bring someone else to share costs with
    I'm sure there would be a revolt amongst the usual suspects tho' as I would be less than likely to make rocky road for you ravenous lot....and if I did, do ya think I'd share it! Bwahahahaha it's Mine ALL MINE!!

dont worry, the cook won't let go without her under threat of castration....tough call... i guess i dont really need them

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I could halve my costs if I didn't bring The missus .....then I could bring someone else to share costs with
    I'm sure there would be a revolt amongst the usual suspects tho' as I would be less than likely to make rocky road for you ravenous lot....and if I did, do ya think I'd share it! Bwahahahaha it's Mine ALL MINE!!

dont worry, the cook won't let go without her under threat of castration....tough call... i guess i dont really need them
    Gee's Rod Castration is a bit much......Thats going to throw your boat stance balance out big time........A good heavy handed Squirrel Grip should suffice....
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by leelee View Post
    Dunno if this has been covered but i thought it might be a good time to bring it up.

How much on average guys travelling to the barra dams spend an a daily basis to fish these dams?

Don't forget fuel in boat, fuel in car, camping costs, food and drinks tackle blah blah blah.

I was trying to work out a cheap alternative where as maybe 1-3 guys can head up in 1 boat and do Mondy or Awoonga on a budget.

The cheaper the better of course but not to the point where it makes the trip not worth the effort.

Look forward to hearing your inputs.

Looking for a per person per day style of figure.

I know what I can do it for but wondering what others have managed to get it done with.

Cheers

Lee
    Living near Mackay, it's cheap to go barra fishing; 1 dam 60 km away, 2nd dam 80 km and Peter Faust is 130 km away...Ergo, live in or near Mackay...

Even get them in the local ck, 1 km away and off the rocks 1 km away.

Cheers, Bobj.

Offer to take Rainbowrunner up and then you might get to stay in a rangers house at Awoonga saving on accomodation

Roo

Ya kiddin aren't you? You are giving Kim ideas! She might be thinking now to flick you and find a new deckie or two. Bet she will get more offers from deckies than you too She offers pleasant company, rocky road, hot ute, rocky road, pancake making ability, rocky road, fishing skills, rocky road, better to look at than most skippers, rocky road and ROCKY ROAD. You offer? .................................................. .................................................. ..............................The ability to put up tents, able to lift moderately heavy loads, 1/2 shares in the largest tackle collection in the world. Lucky your a good bloke.

Seriously dude, don't mention this again or you may be left at home washing dishes.

Steve

My best option for a cheap barra dam is 5km away from home.

Fuel $1.50 ute
    Fuel $0.00 boat (all on the bow mount)
    Beer $8.00
    Snacks $5.00

$14.50 for two

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post

Fuel $1.50 ute
    Beer $8.00
    Snacks $5.00

$14.50 for two
    Hmmm.......not a good way to make friends Steve!

From Brissy for 4 days/3 nights

Fuel car $150
    Fuel Boat $50
    Food & drinks $100
    Cabin accommodation $450
    Tackle & miscellaneous $100

$850 for two...geez, we'll have to start camping!
    Thank God its only money and not that important!

Pete & Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post

Fuel $1.50 ute
    Beer $8.00
    Snacks $5.00

$14.50 for two

Steve

$8.00 for BEER now we know you are pulling our chain ( one upmanship)
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

think of all the bitter fellows for not getting there rockyroad though roo

Well i guess ill put up the cost even though i always seem too travel solo its not as bad as some with these flash boats . 2 night trip from sunny coast to mondy

Accomadation $50
    Fuel For navara $100
    Fuel for Boat $40 if i use that
    Food $50
    Bevarges $40
    Lures Nil For a while
    Oil $5
    Ice $o if only 2 nights

SO thats $285 for 2 nights if i had a extra it would be round $350 increase accomadation and Drink

So $175 each

also another idea is if you know you are going ring up and pay your camping fee's a few weeks early to help avaiod the big hit in funds at the last minute

shane