Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Defines a C&R "Nazi"?

Re: What Defines a C&R "Nazi"?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ren View Post
    Brian, I must admit I didn't see the other post which inferred you were a C&R Nazi. Lol. If you are a Nazi, then I reckon there would be enough of us to form a whole bloody army.

Whitto, eloquently put and summed up perfectly brother.

It's an easy term to splash around I guess. That being said, I find it somewhat perplexing that you are being labelled a Nazi when you, and a whole bunch of us, could better be described as C&R advocates. I don't see you or anyone else for that matter ramming C&R down someone's throat, nor do I see you or anyone else criticise the concept of put and take fisheries.

It is the exploitation of the concept that gets up our goat....sorry for mentioning goat
    Not that it matter much I don't think the definition of advocate works here, the only example I can think of is it would make those bible bashers who come unsolicited to my door advocates...they may be if when viewed passively from the outside but the moment they venture further and unsolicited they become more like pushers for their ideology..hence they are recognised as 'Nazi like' in behaviour considering in both instances neither have had anything above base ideology to back their stance.

for what it is worth.

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Not that it matter much I don't think the definition of advocate works here, the only example I can think of is it would make those bible bashers who come unsolicited to my door advocates...they may be if when viewed passively from the outside but the moment they venture further and unsolicited they become more like pushers for their ideology..hence they are recognised as 'Nazi like' in behaviour considering in both instances neither have had anything above base ideology to back their stance.

for what it is worth.

cheers fnq
    Fair enough fnq, then perhaps we are more appropriately termed "supporters" of C&R. I am confident enough to lay odds that our collective view would be equally supportive of those that wish to catch a feed. I do it in the salt for example...nothing better than a feed of fresh snapper or pearlies.

However, the similarities between those that support C&R and "bible bashers" are at best a tenuous comparison. I don't see us cruising around neighbourhoods (let's call it boat ramps and fishing camp grounds for comparison sake) preaching a C&R ideology in a "cold call" style.

Thank the lord that their bicycles don't float, or have outboard motors

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

I think we have a couple of issues here, there is the catch and release everything types, that deride anyone who keeps anything for any reason, and only used bio degradeable lures, (the true Nazi) then you have the ones that think they fit into this group,that is untill they catch something good, then it is OK to keep one 'for the table", somewhere in the middle there is the "normal" fisherman, who knows how to fish, has no trouble getting a feed, keeps as many as they can use and throws back the rest, now we move onto the next lot, those that keep everything and anything, just to find out when cleaning them, it is too much trouble and throws them away at the ramp, then further onto the full on black marketeer that is a gun fisho, keeps anything legal and flogs it off to anyone who has a dollar, in between all these there is a few varying examples that fit into all the categories when it suits them, catch and release only (if they caught nothing) table fisherman when they caught a good Snapper, black marketeer if someone offers a few dollars for a fish at the ramp, greenie when someone mentions pro's, anything at all that suits at the time, we all fit into one of those brackets somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I think we have a couple of issues here, there is the catch and release everything types, that deride anyone who keeps anything for any reason, and only used bio degradeable lures, (the true Nazi) then you have the ones that think they fit into this group,that is untill they catch something good, then it is OK to keep one 'for the table", somewhere in the middle there is the "normal" fisherman, who knows how to fish, has no trouble getting a feed, keeps as many as they can use and throws back the rest, now we move onto the next lot, those that keep everything and anything, just to find out when cleaning them, it is too much trouble and throws them away at the ramp, then further onto the full on black marketeer that is a gun fisho, keeps anything legal and flogs it off to anyone who has a dollar, in between all these there is a few varying examples that fit into all the categories when it suits them, catch and release only (if they caught nothing) table fisherman when they caught a good Snapper, black marketeer if someone offers a few dollars for a fish at the ramp, greenie when someone mentions pro's, anything at all that suits at the time, we all fit into one of those brackets somewhere.
    Hey Noel

You could also include a category for those that practise C&R in our impoundments (by our own choice and for whatever reason), yet don't mind a feed of tasty saltwater fish from time to time if I choose to go that way (within legal size and possession limits of course).

I for one fit in this category, but not for one iota would I begrudge anyone who wants a feed of freshwater barra for example. Again it is the exploitation of this that I take exception to IMHO.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

a C&R Nazi would be someone you would constanty berate another for keeping a few fish, it has happened to me a few times, most via pm so they would remain annonymous on the boards, constantly at someone like me who has done nothing illegal to justify why I might have taken 10 fish home. Someone who demands justification for why another takes fish home is a "C&R Nazi". What I or anyone else does with fish they catch does not have to be justified to anyone (except authorities if anything illegal has occurred).

I spose I'm a bit of a mix, I fish for both reasons, enjoyment and food, I only take what can and will be used, anything that won't be used/eaten goes back, but all care is taken during dehooking, taking a pic etc, to make sure the fish goes back with nothing more than a small hole in its gob from the hook.

I simply refuse to buy any seafood (except a couple of kg of prawns at christmas) and when you are feeding a household of 4 adults, 2-3 times a week, that adds up to a lot of fish. I don't care about the costs involved, I'd much rather be out fishing than doing almost anything else, though it is nice to bring home a few fish after forking out for fuel and bait, lures. If wanted to justify taking fish home becasue of the cost of fishing, then its a losing battle, considering the cost of the boat, rego, maintenance, terminal tackle, rods, reels, leader, total into the 10 grand plus a year, thats a helluva lot of fish to make up that cost, but to me the entertainment value is worth much more than the feed.

You should see the esky filling army that frequents our part of the world! What some one would want with 30 stinking Yellowbelly that have been frozen for 12 months in an old chest freezer in the shed has got me stuffed! BUT.... You still see them out at the cleaning tables after a weekends fishing cleaning 30 to 50 fish! They must be hard up for a feed- or someone forgot to tell them about those things called "super markets"....
    I hate to generalise, and this observation is not ment to offend any one at all, but do you find that the stereo typical meat fisherman is usually around the 55 + age bracket??? Seems to me that a lot of the meato's out our way are "of the old school" so to speak.
    I take the odd one for a feed, maybe 5% of what I catch, for a mate or a bbq. BR 65 Don't let them get to you because you have deveoped a care for our fisheries future mate! Stick it up em!

I was just given a sticker by a bloke, and I am planning on having it mass produced, Its a classic and reads:
    BIG FISH KILLERS HAVE SMALL D%$KS!
    IF YOU CAN'T EAT EM', TAKE A PHOTO,
    PUT EM' BACK!!!

POD

Sorry, unintentional double post...
    Last edited by poddy mullet; 15-12-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Double post by mistake sorry

Quote Originally Posted by poddy mullet View Post
    You should see the esky filling army that frequents our part of the world! What some one would want with 30 stinking Yellowbelly that have been frozen for 12 months in an old chest freezer in the shed has got me stuffed! BUT.... You still see them out at the cleaning tables after a weekends fishing cleaning 30 to 50 fish! They must be hard up for a feed- or someone forgot to tell them about those things called "super markets"....
    I hate to generalise, and this observation is not ment to offend any one at all, but do you find that the stereo typical meat fisherman is usually around the 55 + age bracket??? Seems to me that a lot of the meato's out our way are "of the old school" so to speak.
    I take the odd one for a feed, maybe 5% of what I catch, for a mate or a bbq. BR 65 Don't let them get to you because you have deveoped a care for our fisheries future mate! Stick it up em!

I was just given a sticker by a bloke, and I am planning on having it mass produced, Its a classic and reads:
    BIG FISH KILLERS HAVE SMALL D%$KS!
    IF YOU CAN'T EAT EM', TAKE A PHOTO,
    PUT EM' BACK!!!

POD

cheers Pod, dont know ya from a bar of soap, but ya nailed it mate!