Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Mooloolaba pick and zip tie set up

    I have just got a Mooloolaba stlye pick and I am setting it up with tie ties... now the question.

    What size zip ties 3mm, 5mm 8mm??
    how many 2? 3?



    thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Mooloolaba pick and zip tie set up

    Be carefull not to go to big I have twice had problems when hooked up to something that is not 100% solid. Once I hooked some trawler ropes & the last time I hooked up to a piece of a wreck. When i tried to drive off & snap the tie it just kept pulling what I was hooked to & wouldn't break the tie. First time had to drag the trawler rope to the top (in 30 m water) & cut the tie. Last time after stuffing around for ages trying to pull it up, we let it drop back to the bottom & it freed itself.
    Better to use smaller ties & if it keeps breaking free add another tie.


    Adrian

  3. #3

    Re: Mooloolaba pick and zip tie set up

    Hi Krazyfisher,
    I run one 5mm cable tie on my set up (Signature 530F), I fish in 50 - 80 mtres of water with about 4 metres of chain and the one tie works fine, it usually only breaks every one in three pulls???

    Pedro Jnr

  4. #4

    Re: Mooloolaba pick and zip tie set up

    so would 2 x 7.5mm be too much ? thats what I have on it now

  5. #5

    Re: Mooloolaba pick and zip tie set up

    mate i use two and they would have to be every bit of 10 mm i dont have a problem 6m boat. We use these zip ties on air con duct spigots

  6. #6

    Re: Mooloolaba pick and zip tie set up

    Quote Originally Posted by krazyfisher View Post
    I have just got a Mooloolaba stlye pick and I am setting it up with tie ties... now the question.

    What size zip ties 3mm, 5mm 8mm??
    how many 2? 3?



    thanks

    the smallest possible as you will be surprised at how hard they can be to break..
    i use one 2.5mm on my anchor and never have had any issue ....only if you use a large zip tie do start getting into some diffulculties.... take a selection out with you and see which one works sufficient

  7. #7

    Re: Mooloolaba pick and zip tie set up

    I use 1 10mm zippie and works perfect. It breaks 50% of the time when runnng it off, only breaks if its hooked up well which is the idea. Wadeo put 4 on and ripped the front off the front of his cat

  8. #8

    Re: Mooloolaba pick and zip tie set up

    Quote Originally Posted by krazyfisher View Post
    so would 2 x 7.5mm be too much ? thats what I have on it now
    In my experience yes, just one of that width might be too hard to break, i use 2 4mm ones sometimes but usually a single 4mm is enough when awake, alert and the conditions are typical.

    cheers fnq



  9. #9

    Re: Mooloolaba pick and zip tie set up

    Who sells Mooloolaba stlye pick anchors in the Bris area?

  10. #10

    Re: Mooloolaba pick and zip tie set up

    Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Who sells Mooloolaba stlye pick anchors in the Bris area?
    barra jacks sell them but they are steel and expensive would be cheaper to get one fabricated up in alloy as will be alot lighter,,, i had one for three years and cost 100 dollars but was donated to the ocean a month or so ago
    DSC00179.jpg reward for return ...lolololololol

  11. #11

    Re: Mooloolaba pick and zip tie set up

    (Quote) barra jacks sell them but they are steel and expensive would be cheaper to get one fabricated up in alloy as will be alot lighter,

    I wouldn't think that you would want one that is lighter the whole idea of it is to make it heavy so that it sits and holds onto the bottom better the best picks are the steel ones with a solid shaft cheap and work well. Just get a old boat axle and chop it up to the desired length that you want and weld the plates or rod onto it.

  12. #12

    Re: Mooloolaba pick and zip tie set up

    Quote Originally Posted by indy View Post
    (Quote) barra jacks sell them but they are steel and expensive would be cheaper to get one fabricated up in alloy as will be alot lighter,

    I wouldn't think that you would want one that is lighter the whole idea of it is to make it heavy so that it sits and holds onto the bottom better the best picks are the steel ones with a solid shaft cheap and work well. Just get a old boat axle and chop it up to the desired length that you want and weld the plates or rod onto it.
    the whole point is i dont want steel sitting against my alloy hull , an prefer alloy on alloy as steel will leave rust marks everywhere it has been sitting when not in use for any length of time ,,,,,( the 5m of 12mm gal chain ways well enough to hold)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us