Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fisheries Officers, Get it off Ya chest!

Re: Fisheries Officers, Get it off Ya chest!

why would you want fisheries visiting schools ???

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    why would you want fisheries visiting schools ???
    Good question PinHead, i will answer your question with questions, why not ?

Do you not beleive in education and promotion?

The Mrs and I went to Conway Beach the other day fishing and crabing for the first time and just about to launch the boat and a Fisheries Officer turned up. We had a chat he looked at our safety gear , regos and he gave us some advice on the hazards in the river. Mate he was a top bloke if you are doing something wrong you deserve to be caught. Cheers Gav

I do believe in education but schools are not the place to teach all aspects of life and leisure activities...a lot of this should be done at home..schools are for teaching the fundamentals and judging by some of the results that I have seen in some school leavers it leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by gav73 View Post
    The Mrs and I went to Conway Beach the other day fishing and crabing for the first time and just about to launch the boat and a Fisheries Officer turned up. We had a chat he looked at our safety gear , regos and he gave us some advice on the hazards in the river. Mate he was a top bloke if you are doing something wrong you deserve to be caught. Cheers Gav
    I think it might pay that you read from the start of the thread and not the last post.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I do believe in education but schools are not the place to teach all aspects of life and leisure activities...a lot of this should be done at home..schools are for teaching the fundamentals and judging by some of the results that I have seen in some school leavers it leaves a lot to be desired.
    Thanks PinHead finaly a honest answer to an honest question.

To all
    Question
    What would be the best way to educate and promote our fisheries resources?

Im going to jump in here on this and say that it starts with you, am i wrong?

And for those who are thinking about jumping in and saying something it might pay that you read from the start of this thread before you shoot your mouth off.

cheers

The idea of fisheries officers visiting schools may not be possible due to budget constraints. For many coastal schools that have fishing as a sport perhaps they should visit the fisheries office and do a test on size and bag limits before they are allowed to fish though. Much the same as a surfer has to do a bronze medalion before they can chose surfing for sport. Just an idea although just about every sport etc known to man sends a rep to schools nowadays so why not fisheries as fishing is Aust biggest sport ( i think ? ). Might be possible if there was a Rec Licence as it could be used to fund it hahaha.

PS i have read the thread from the start so dont rip my head off .

In an ideal world, governments would provide mini ads like station promotion time to inform the general public about much of this stuff; road rule updates, boating matters, ramp usage etc etc . Instead of telling us what a wonderful job they are doing to promote themselves(political advertising, by another name some might think). In an ideal world ...

Here is some information for all you guys who are legitemately concerned about education. DPI&F already has a volunteer arm which works on educating people, the group is called "Fish Care" and if you follow this link it will give you information on how to join up and make a difference. Fairly certain you would welcomed with open arms. http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_9635.htm

Failing that you join with someone like PRFMA, where you will be assisted to get a Blue Card free of charge, get to work with qualified instructors and teach kids how to fish sustainably for our future. www.prfma.com.au

A few years ago, back when I was in Primary School, we went to Tallebudgera beach school, which is basically a school camp on the beach. In the week that we were there, we had the option to go fishing, which me and my friends chose to do. We were given limited (but still valuable knowledge) of the waterways, how to protect them and to observe bag and size limits.

I'm sure that there are other places around like this, and for all you parents out there, I'm sure that going to a place like this would be a great field trip suggestion

Just my two cents,
    Kaidon
    Conservation NOT preservation!

Shane C raises a very interesting and concerning point, that we have different bag and size limits from state to state. I believe that fishing should be controlled by the federal government and not state!

A collective strategy for managing our fishing resources should be top priority across all states. The current situation is an absolute joke - I can launch from the Tweeds heads and depending on what side of the border I'm fishing I could be over the limit or under. If I have 10 Dolphin fish on board I Ill get fined in QLD but be ok in NSW, similarly I could have 10 tuna on board an be ok in QLD but get fined in NSW. I have raised this many times - where is the science to support an 8 fish difference in bag limits from NSW to QLD for Dolphin fish and have a no bag limit on tuna in QLD and 5 in NSW??????????

As fish are not limited by state boundaries why should the control there of be limited to state government. I would be extremely happy to see a greater federal police fishing unit enforcing rules that are common across all states and that are scientifically based. Because of breading habits and the migratory nature of certain species bag limits could vary by latitude lines vs State Boundaries

Regards Andrew

Police, firies and ambos get asked to come to the schools( most anyway) Fisheries are overlooked. Fisheries do have a volunteer programe they most certainly dont know the regs in side out but most will find out and get back to you with answers if asked. They have no right to go through boats for catch and safety gear, But if offered will check fish to ensure compliance with regs. Smashed if you would like to see these volunteers in the Ingham area it can be arange but at this stage there are none living in that region. But there are some who fish up that way from Townsville. As far as patrols go The townsville Officers cover an area from down near bowen up to past mission beach with all ramps reefs creeks and dams inclusive i believe that they are spread to thin. Oh and i am not a "fishpig"

Rod (Mowerman),

So sorry for not getting back earlier, had a lot of things on my plate.

They were Water Police on the evening we went out. They too have been officially inducted by Fisheries to take on the role as Fisheries Inspectors aka Field Officers.

At the time when I was undertaking that industry specific course, Henry Palazsck or however his name is spelt was the Minister for Fisheries then, I raised a question with his office asking whether Police are now being trained and recruited to take over the role of Fisheries Inspectors, , he replied "No"....obviously that was a lie as history now shows.

Have a great day wherever you are Rod,

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2015.

Cheers, Bondy

I reckon bring in a fishing licence in Qld and 100% of the funds go into fisheries policing.
    All of the moneys the fines raise can go into ramps and so forth.

I like fishing Victoria where you get checked every 4 to 6 hours.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Rod (Mowerman),

So sorry for not getting back earlier, had a lot of things on my plate.

They were Water Police on the evening we went out. They too have been officially inducted by Fisheries to take on the role as Fisheries Inspectors aka Field Officers.

At the time when I was undertaking that industry specific course, Henry Palazsck or however his name is spelt was the Minister for Fisheries then, I raised a question with his office asking whether Police are now being trained and recruited to take over the role of Fisheries Inspectors, , he replied "No"....obviously that was a lie as history now shows.

Have a great day wherever you are Rod,

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2015.

Cheers, Bondy
    A response 5 years late is better then never I suppose lol