Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fisheries Officers, Get it off Ya chest!

Re: Fisheries Officers, Get it off Ya chest!

Pedro, how was your trip to the north?

Quote Originally Posted by dredger View Post
    Very well explained Smashed Crab, agree in short. So if you could put that to the authorities might be a great start for 2010. Your very good at putting the point across.
    Cheer-O

Laz
    Dreger , i do plan to front up at my local fisheries office and ask a few questions , i want answers straight fro the horse's mouth, so if there are any questions person want answers for i will present them also.

To all

In short i will be asking for answers againts the following taken from your post's in this thread and other threads

Not enough officers
    Too many different body's
    Poor public image
    To big of an area to patrol
    Power trippers with a badge
    Picky officers that are seen to single out
    Feeling of being victimized, flash boat verses crap boat
    Lack of common sence by fisho's , flip side fisheries officers as well
    A want for more officers
    Many illegal activities going on , turning a blind eye?
    Lack of education and promotion
    What can i do

all this just to list a few......................

What suprises me the most is the lack of participation towards this subject by the hundreds that have been veiwing, why is this so?
    Is there a feeling of hoplessness by viewers or are you totally unaware of the day to day runnings of our fishery, or simply put do you not give a rats, i would really like to hear comments from you, i dont care how negative you think your veiws are just say somthing, dont sit on the fence

If i can change one thing and make that difference i will be truely happy.
    I firmly beleive in taking a proactive stance towards our fishery.Im not after a pat on the back or browny points from any of you and i do not exspect a following

I do this for me and my kids , if the spin of from my actions benifits you all along the way then thats great

Im sick to sh.t of the twitts that are f..king things up on both sides of the fence

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by smashed crabs View Post
    Dreger , i do plan to front up at my local fisheries office and ask a few questions , i want answers straight fro the horse's mouth, so if there are any questions person want answers for i will present them also.

To all

In short i will be asking for answers againts the following taken from your post's in this thread and other threads

Not enough officers..see your locaL MLA
    Too many different body's..see your local MLA
    Poor public image..according to whom ?
    To big of an area to patrol..see your local MLA
    Power trippers with a badge..that will go down well
    Picky officers that are seen to single out..have you dates and times and eveidence or just a so called general observation?
    Feeling of being victimized, flash boat verses crap boat..that could be disagreed with
    Lack of common sence by fisho's , flip side fisheries officers as well
    A want for more officers..see your local MLA
    Many illegal activities going on , turning a blind eye? date, time and evidence
    Lack of education and promotion..not their concern..fishos should know the rules..ignorance is no excuse
    What can i do
    ..see your local MLA
    all this just to list a few......................

What suprises me the most is the lack of participation towards this subject by the hundreds that have been veiwing, why is this so?
    Is there a feeling of hoplessness by viewers or are you totally unaware of the day to day runnings of our fishery, or simply put do you not give a rats, i would really like to hear comments from you, i dont care how negative you think your veiws are just say somthing, dont sit on the fence

If i can change one thing and make that difference i will be truely happy.
    I firmly beleive in taking a proactive stance towards our fishery.Im not after a pat on the back or browny points from any of you and i do not exspect a following

I do this for me and my kids , if the spin of from my actions benifits you all along the way then thats great

Im sick to sh.t of the twitts that are f..king things up on both sides of the fence

Cheers
    I have no problems at all with fisheries..I would hate the job..getting abused by knobs in boats whenever you approach them and all the other crap. They know they are understaffed and underfunded..nothing they can do about it.

It's the politicians that should be given the message, to give the department funds instead of the lurks and perks for their own office and party, party, party.

Then there are their parliamentary secretaries also get looked after....it awlays has been and always will be the attitude i.e.. screw the working class so the rich can get richer at the expense of the poor. Don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that.

Peter

Thank you PinHead but my post clearly stated that i will be seeking answers from fisheries.

And thank you Bondy

Police and firemen roll up at school to promote and educated what make fisheries any bloody different , are they speacial or something?

well sc..there is nothing fisheries can do about some of your questins..they can only be answered by the pollies that control the purse strings unfortunately.
    But lots of luck anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    It's the politicians that should be given the message, to give the department funds instead of the lurks and perks for their own office and party, party, party.

Then there are their parliamentary secretaries also get looked after....it awlays has been and always will be the attitude i.e.. screw the working class so the rich can get richer at the expense of the poor. Don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that.

Peter
    Peter...parliamentary secretaries are pollies themselves...but..don't get too carried away about those that work in the public service..I can assure you that many work damn hard and perform admirably..always have done and always will do.

Until Fisheries are give a bigger budget to work with, your not going to get much action in changing the way things are at present.
    Yes some whinge when pull up by a Fisheries officer, but you must be one of the lucky ones, once in all my years on the water have i been inspected, a lot of this is because i predominately fish at night.
    Ranting and raving on hear wont change things.
    Going face to face with a officer in your area and hitting him with all the above question, will also not give you many replies except the word Budget.
    How do you think things will change when even DPI (Fisheries) has not enough Budget to get things done, the reason a lot of our fisheries are in the state there in a present.
    Best of luck in your endeavours, but your better off approaching your local state member.
    regards

I can tell you from the horses mouth (I wont mention his name as he is a current fisheries officer based inland and has a lot of miles to cover in his district). All monies and budget has been diverted to pay for the massive water pipeline projects throughout the State of Queensland.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    Peter...parliamentary secretaries are pollies themselves...but..don't get too carried away about those that work in the public service..I can assure you that many work damn hard and perform admirably..always have done and always will do.
    Pinhead,

I'm targetting the entire Public Service, I also was one of them (ex-Govt), there are a few that like to fob people away....Apart from the pollies, pollies also have staff such as secretaries and minders...like everwhere in the workforce there are good workers and crap workers.

I know I worked damn hard but still got shafted by bosses, back stabbers and brown tongues, you cant tell me that does not go on where you used to work or still are? It has to be a large dept, not small outfit.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Pinhead,

I'm targetting the entire Public Service, I also was one of them (ex-Govt), there are a few that like to fob people away....Apart from the pollies, pollies also have staff such as secretaries and minders...like everwhere in the workforce there are good workers and crap workers.

I know I worked damn hard but still got shafted by bosses, back stabbers and brown tongues, you cant tell me that does not go on where you used to work or still are? It has to be a large dept, not small outfit.

Peter
    Bondy , same thing happend to me , i was watching millions of dollar getting wasted by dick heads.Eventually i grew a ball sack and just after that filled them with balls(two balls) and i gave them hell for there crap, anyway i now no longer earn 150k a year and i wouldnt be dead for quids, f.ck them and their bullshit.

CHEERS

The coppers applying musn't be able to get a job as parking police like they have done for years to serve out their retirement?

The coppers still want to do the power play and crap with attitude that gives some of the fisheries guys the bad name. Self assertive is one thing but the constant demeaning nature of some of the blokes out there is poor. They should have education packs or something to give to kids on boats so kids respect them rather than dread the mood dad gets in as they come along side.

Shame to hear of officers being good blokes and basically getting peoples backs up so they don't bother reporting stuff anymore.

Easy - Make everyone a officer - $1000 reward for information that leads to a conviction. Put a bounty on the heads of th wrongdoers and leave the rest of us alone. They $1000 would be a lot cheaper the than extra officers and people would soon realise that like the film "ransom" they need to trust nobody and keep looking over their shoulder. They would stand out more or take more risk. A few more very public prosecutions of the repeat offenders and increased penalty for them wouldn't hurt either.

Amazes me how many adds the "coral sea" " conservation movement" etc can afford and I can't remember the last time fisheries had a TV add. Why aren't fisheries advertising on the internet sites.

Be nice to get rid of the badge syndrome - yeah they have to deal with some morons but they also get to deal with 99 other nice families.

Fining Mums , dads and kids for minor idescretions will never work and make them approachable or get people to respect them.

I asked my kids tonight if fisheries officers had ever been to their school to teach them anything, no was the answer, only firemen and police.Again why is this so?

I have read in these post that ignorance is no excuse and fisho's should know the rules, well i onec was a little kid fisho , a little kid that had to learn the hard way, i stole pots and strung nets and didnt know any better, untill one day i was sprung and got my arse kicked. Point being here is who educate's and promote's our fishery?
    And who should be doing it? The most obvious answer if the Fisheries

Most bad habits are picked up from an early age, partly through not knowing any better or from picking up bad habits from those who couldnt care less.

How many of you have had you kid or kids say to you your speeding or you arnt aloud to do this or that ect ? Kids are switch on little buggers.

Just tonight i was catching sharks down at the local river , my second youngest said to me that im not allowed to catch sharks , i said who told you that , she said Bindy the Jungle girl, she was most upset as i clobberd the first shark over the head. I had a tough time trying to explain it all to her and that what i was doing wasnt a bad thing and it is in the way you do it, once she knew the in's and out's she put in a line and started fishing.

cheers

I dont mind the fishos, they have a job to do, and most perform it admirably. I strongly disagree with the way the Green Zones were implemented and some other legislation, but them's the way of the world, and these guys would be in the poo if they didn't enforce the laws they have been employed to enforce. It would be nice to see some certain groups targeted a bit more (they generally hang out in families and wear raincoats), but to target them effectively would require tip offs from the public, so dont be shy mate if you know of somewhere that they hang out.

I have rang fisheries when I thought undersize fish were being offered for sale, and I am glad to say it was followed up and it turns out the retailer sourced fish from interstate, had receipts, and it was all above board. This was investigated the next day and I was informed of the outcome within a week, which I thought was rather impressive to be honest.

You say that the fisheries do not visit schools when other authorities do. Come on mate, you are the one asking for greater patrols, more enforcement and more funding. I am sure operational fishos have better things to do than visit schools. Fireys and coppers visit schools for very different reasons than what fishos would and their message is a lot different to trying to educate young kids on fisheries legislation. I pose this suggestion to you. I too have a young son I take fishing, I show him how to fish and I educate him on the fine art of fishing as well as teach him right from wrong. I was taught that way by my old man, and I imparted what I knew to my mates as a kid, and now as an adult. I hope they did/ do the same. Potentially one blokes ethics and skills were passed to quite a few.

So, instead of expecting more from the blokes employed to enact the law, use the opportunity you have to educate some so they dont have to..... I think it will be more enjoyable and worthwhile to you. Government authorities have heaps of people whinging at them, what makes you think they will listen to you?? After all, they have ignored the whole of Queensland and plan to sell our assets....

Just my two bobs worth.

I went for a wander down to the local ramp today(Cleveland) as I do most days on my dust mowing rounds. Anyone got 12 inches of rain in their back pocket?

Anyway, there was the Marine Parks boat getting ready for a launch.

2 officers in uniform, she is a nice sort, and 2 teenagers about 15 or 16.
    Dressed in their going to the beach gear.
    Work experience, or rellies. Who knows.

I have only been checked once by Fisheries or was it Water police?
    Bondy99 might know. He was in the old Haines with me out at harries earlier in the year.
    They must have been on overtime because it was just on dark and their first concern was nav lights.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.