Thread: Finally some clean water

Talking Finally some clean water

Things have been muddy up this way but it finally cleaned up. Not much to report ... kept getting these long rubbish fish with sharp teeth swimming up to me. Anyone know what they are

Re: Finally some clean water

Nice fish mate!! i haven't been able to get out up here in ages.. makes me jealous seeing water that clean...

Nidrac..

That water is just beautiful! Lovin' the pics man.
    That a hoo in the last picture? Also, what type of rigline do you use? I've mostly just been doing shore dives chasing smaller bread and butter fish and want to set up a rigline to start chasing jew.

Nah - all spanish. I use 10m ski rope to a small float then another 10m to a large 9l float. The first float I can pull under water easily and I hang a spare gun off it. When I hit a mackerel I let go of everything and let the line pass through my hands so I can grab the spare gun. I use the second gun for the gaff shot. If there aren't any sharks and if the mac isn't real big there isn't really a need for the gaff shot. You can apply a bit of weight on the line if you know your shot is good. This rig has worked for me with large macs and GT's. I had an 18kg GT pull the 9l float just under the surface 3 times but that was it. That rig will easily work for jew.

Great post boney-leg thanks for that, though the way the viz is down here, ie filthy, I'm turning green with envy. Awesome conditions and fantastic fish!
    Mattooty this link is a DIY for floatlines, I've made a couple like this, one in 8mm the other in 10mm. Easy to make, cheap, and effective.
    http://ic_spearguns.tripod.com/floatline.html

Quote Originally Posted by Badone View Post
    Why would you shoot an 18kg GT? I thought spearfishing had moved past the shooting fish for trophies stage. Apparently not...
    Badone - my Indigenous mates cooked it straight up in a kuppa murri (underground oven). No trophy - it fed quite a few people at a wake. Don't assume that because you wouldn't eat it that others wouldn't

I was enjoying this good report.

Can people please refrain from spoiling someones report by criticizing them, starting an unresolvable, overdone, debate, and hijacking the thread. Providing the law has not been broken please have some tolerance for different people's fishing practices.

Anyway hope that's the end of the hijack - good report. Keep 'em coming.

Hey that's cool - I understand where Badone is coming from and I actually agree ... The days of shooting things for the sake of shooting them should be gone. Was just letting him know that this wasn't a case of that ...

Hey Boney, fair enough, I may have gone off half-cocked there. I guess I just don't like seeing fish speared or caught in any manner when they are only caught for a photo-op. Clearly your GT was put to good use. I have been on heaps of dive trips where GT's, Barracuda, large trout etc are shot just because they are big and look good in a photo and it annoys me.. Apologies for hijacking the thread. The spanish look great btw.

Honourable reply Badone
    It's obvious your intentions are good.

Please don't take anything I said personally - just tired of reports and threads deteriorating into ethical debates, that's all. The debate IS important, but just better off having it in another arena.

yeh boney legs nice fish ay, what gun do you use to get them, what would you recommend for a reef gun and what rubbers? ive got a RA 1000 sparid with a 16mm rubber you reckon that will be good on the reef for all the bottom species? i might be putting a composite reel on it soon too and putting another 16mm rubber on. oww franco nice photo

Quote Originally Posted by goldcoast View Post
    yeh boney legs nice fish ay, what gun do you use to get them, what would you recommend for a reef gun and what rubbers? ive got a RA 1000 sparid with a 16mm rubber you reckon that will be good on the reef for all the bottom species? i might be putting a composite reel on it soon too and putting another 16mm rubber on. oww franco nice photo

I see you found the other post about gear. Two 16mm rubbers on your gun will be more than enough. Wouldn't worry about the reel.

yeah i did, ok i will do that thanks heaps