Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on new low-profile baitcaster for Barra

Advice on new low-profile baitcaster for Barra

Memebers, I am seeking some input regarding a new low profile baitcaster.

My budget is in the $400 range.

So far the ones of interest are the Diawa Viento, Saltist, Advantage or Heartland. Shimano Curado or the new Quantum Catalyst or Energy range.

The Quantums certainly sound impressive with 8kg of ceramic drag and have read some good feedback on them.

Please feel free to make some suggestions.

Cheers Gaz

Re: Advice on new low-profile baitcaster for Barra

At the moment, with the dollar so good against the greenback, buy from the states, about 50% of local price.

I use Curados for Barra, great reels, robust, no problems.

I have a Curado, Revo and Zillion. The Zillion is really a stand out but you pay for it, might be worth checking prices OS as Feral suggests. Comparing my other two, the Curado was a little more expensive and is smaller. Both fish and perform well. The Revo has better (faster and easy to tune) line controls than the Curado. If i had to choose between the Curado and the Revo, and it would be a close call, but I think I would go for the Revo.

I have a curado e5 and e7 and both are great reels and handle big fish no worries at all i prefer the e5 due to the slower retrieve and tend to get more stikes and hook ups on it

shane

I'm with Skeeter ....... Right now is the time to buy from overseas

You'll land a Zillion for under $300

If your budget is $400 ...... (I have not checked) but you may get a Zillion HLC for that kind of money - Its certainly the nicest barra baitcast reel I own or have used

Chris

PS ..... The only issue with Daiwa BCs is that you really need to upgrade the drag washers ( $20-25)
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

With any of the above. I can recommend you (reel fishing deals.com) - they offer free delivery and should receive items in 7-10 days Zillion for $245 US + free delivery

Mate i know you said low profile but ATM you could track down a 250/200 DC Calcutta for not much more than your $400 delivered from the US, I have the E7,Core,200dhsv and chronarch but the 250 DC for the past 12 months has been impresive.(still give the E7 a good wrap though)

I can't put it down when Barra fishing, the Zillion is nice but a mate of mine went out and bought a DC after using mine and now rates it above his Zillion for casting.They do sit nice and low on the rod and can still be palmed(i do with mine)
    I always swore by low profile but the DC is so good i have to recomend it for sure.It's a pity that the Calais DC is still in the $600 range even when importing one.

Dan

i have used the chronarchs for a long time now have loved every one of them they are robust and bullet proof but last chrissy matt mott lent me one of his DIAWA crazy crankers and iwas impressed with its drag and slow retreive 4.2 to 1 i think so its on my list for the next buy

Pflueger Patriarch - $220~ imported from the USA.... If they're good enough to catch a 15kg GT (7kg line) without breaking a sweat, they're good enough to stop a barra.

Coming in at just 235 grams the Patriarch™ is lightweight in design and heavyweight in performance, a perfect combination when repetitive casting is required for powerful sportfish such as Barra. Features include an Ultra smooth 10+1 bearing system, Ultimate Braking System utilizing both magnetic and centrifugal braking systems for unrivalled cast control and a Carbon fiber drag system for consistent drag pressure. All housed in a tough corrosion resistant aluminium frame with Ti coated side plates for an extra durable finish.

The Pflueger Patriarch is a formidable weapon in the high performance sportfishing market with better performance and more features than the competition.

Model Description Ratio
    PFLPATRIARCH64WLP Line Cap: 120m/7kg, wt/g; 235 6.4:1

I own a Heartland and a Alphas R edition and either would be nice.

If you were to go a Zillion get a HLC or Crazy cranker, the Crazy Cranker for the slow ratio or the HLC because its is the best Zillion Daiwa make.

Any reel you get you should change the washers to carbotex and lap the washers yourself.

Cheers

Lee

edit: woops

If you don't mind second hand there's a daiwa td-z type r for sale on e..... Would be better then all the current zillions except the HLC. God they're ugly though lol and not certain on line capacity.

Any of the Zillions. Have a look at the Abu Revo Inshore, 20lb of drag and a very nice looking reel. I think they retail for around $360 at Fish head.

I would go the Curado E5 or the Daiwa Luna 253. Curado is lower profile tho. Get it from the US you will save a packet!
    I have bought nearly all my reels that way and never had a problem.
    Cheers
    Flatzie

Again not a low profile but I can't recommend more highly the Daiwa Pluton. Got the 200H delivered from the states for $400 and broke it in on Mondy a couple of weeks back. Absolute dream to use and handled the fish with ease. Shat all over my Calcutta 200