Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on new low-profile baitcaster for Barra

Re: Advice on new low-profile baitcaster for Barra

Quote Originally Posted by Thebasscatcher View Post
    Again not a low profile but I can't recommend more highly the Daiwa Pluton. Got the 200H delivered from the states for $400 and broke it in on Mondy a couple of weeks back. Absolute dream to use and handled the fish with ease. Shat all over my Calcutta 200

Nice real .... but a tad heavy IMO - then again .. i like light weight reels

Chris

PS There are some great buys out of the US atm
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Just become the proud owner of a Curado 300e $265 from US .
    Paulo

I would go the quantam tour edition with the carbon fibre handle shipped from USA. Jack Erskine told me it's the best baitcaster he has seen for the price. Although he works for jarvis walker who distribute this reel in Australia. he's a straight shooter though and if he didn't like it he would definitely tell you about it.

I have a Curado DSV-300 and its a reliable, easy to use reel that casts well.

Mine's spooled up with 20kg Jigman Ultra 8x.

I've caught png black bass and barra on it and for a low profile reel - very solid.

Mostly, I use the round profile baitcast reels as I used to think the low profile reels were too flimsy but the Curado proved me wrong.
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

I have a zillion, calais dc, daiwa hrf, revo inshore, curado, all used exclusively on barra, all have different advantages and disadvantages.
    Zillion casts the furtherest by far, drag gets a bit sticky after a while(this is easily rectified) but occasionally gets some impressive birds nests with the minimal cast control I apply. Gets a bit rough after a year or so of hard work.
    Calais dc, casts close to the zillion, never gets bad birds nest, drag and gears very smooth, can't fault it. still very smooth after a year.
    Daiwa hrf, best value for money real I've owned, casts very well, good cast control, drag reasonable, quite clunky in the gears after about 500 barra.
    Revo inshore, robust, like the large power handles for winding, good cast control but casts the shortest of all the reels, reasonable drag straight from the box, still going strong after a year with no gearing issues yet.
    Curado, robust, casts fine, didn't like the slow gear ration so have given it away.
    Hope this helps, scott.

I reckon you could get 2 of the Team Diawa advantage HSTA153 for the $400 budget from O/Seas....They would be the best $ for $ , pound for pound baitcaster I have used.. some others are smoother, cast further etc etc....but this reel comes a close second in every catagory I look for.....at nearly half the price of a zillion.

I have a soft spot for Chronarchs too...particualry the SF models.

Cheers Steve

Steve, thinkin about a HSTA for the Swains, bit of placcy flicking, and then squidding at nite, what do ya reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_yamba View Post
    I would go the quantam tour edition with the carbon fibre handle shipped from USA. Jack Erskine told me it's the best baitcaster he has seen for the price. Although he works for jarvis walker who distribute this reel in Australia. he's a straight shooter though and if he didn't like it he would definitely tell you about it.
    If you buy one out of the US ...... A PT would make for a reasonably good alternative barra reel ( but you can buy a zillion OS for the same price - ..... So the Zillion would be my preference)

As for JE recommendations ...... No disrespect for a legend - But IMO his close association with Penn / JW has clouded his judgment

Penn 10X is way down the list of ideal barra leader materials
    &
    The Penn Erskine baitcasters were crap ...... & a total waste of money ..... cant believe that he put his name to it

Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Steve, thinkin about a HSTA for the Swains, bit of placcy flicking, and then squidding at nite, what do ya reckon?
    Noice.......All that Steve said and a noice looking bit of kit to boot......with the Dollar at a reasonable exchange rate at the moment......Tis the season to be Jolly Ho! Ho! Ho!........with the posties on strike might be a bit dodgie though
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post

one word Brian...and never forget this for Swains....HANDLINE. f$%CKING BIG HANDLINE. ...thats all you need to take!!

Seriously, the HSTA would be alright for the squiding...as would most baitcasters...placcys on the reef? I am not sure. there are some big fast and mean critters out there...but it would be worth a go....drag is a bit light in them...4kg I think...but they are pretty tough and smooth at same time.

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    one word Brian...and never forget this for Swains....HANDLINE. f$%CKING BIG HANDLINE. ...thats all you need to take!!

Seriously, the HSTA would be alright for the squiding...as would most baitcasters...placcys on the reef? I am not sure. there are some big fast and mean critters out there...but it would be worth a go....drag is a bit light in them...4kg I think...but they are pretty tough and smooth at same time.

Cheers Steve

comments on handline noted.

One of the boys had a curado last trip up, cant remember the model, it was on the light side for the work it did, but it handled some big red throat on gulps OK in the shallow bombie country we were mainly working. Mind you, he did spend a fair amount of time re-rigging as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I reckon you could get 2 of the Team Diawa advantage HSTA153 for the $400 budget from O/Seas....They would be the best $ for $ , pound for pound baitcaster I have used.. some others are smoother, cast further etc etc....but this reel comes a close second in every catagory I look for.....at nearly half the price of a zillion.

I have a soft spot for Chronarchs too...particualry the SF models.

Cheers Steve

Man..... this post just cost me $180 AUD............ ...........I jumped on the bay shop and they have them for $126 USD.......So i thought i better try one out for that price!

Dan,

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    As for JE recommendations ...... No disrespect for a legend - But IMO his close association with Penn / JW has clouded his judgment

Penn 10X is way down the list of ideal barra leader materials
    &
    The Penn Erskine baitcasters were crap ...... & a total waste of money ..... cant believe that he put his name to it

Thats all a bit rich coming from you mate. You've been fishing for barra all your life & done countless numbers of Tournaments in the N.T & fished for Marlin your entire life too I take it? Not to mention have a major role in developing fishing reels & gear for decades - you've done this too I guess?

I realise you mean 'no disrespect for a legend', but those of us that know Jack well will have read your post and will think one thing of you - total amatuer! Jack has been creating extremely barra worthy gear now for a long time now thats not only tough & strong but also extremely reliable. The other major part to Jack's work is that he realises the need for 'value for money' and that is certainly something you get when buying good Penn gear (Spinfishers, Slammers, Internationals). Put it this way Chris, if you were to get a Zillion - an admireable casting reel, and put it up against a 360 Penn Slammer (spin reel), which is also an admireable casting reel, I would almost guarantee the Slammer would shit all over the Zillion after a few fish in tight surrounds e.g. somewhere in Monduran.

I'll make sure Robbie, Laurie, Grant & Jack have a good read of this thread when I'm in the shop tomorrow. Would have expected a slightly more appropriate & thoughtfull post for someone who's in the 'big boys league' now & placed 9th in the BARRA PRO Rankings. Perhaps you could also let us know your personal thoughts on some particular Jigheads/hooks that let you down on the latest BARRA Tour?

On the better looking side of things, Merry Christmas to all anglers & their families and may the new Year be a gooden.

Regards
    Theo
    TT

Theo, May l comment on this remark.... Perhaps you could also let us know your personal thoughts on some particular Jigheads/hooks that let you down on the latest BARRA Tour? l fished along side Chris during the tour and
    l never saw a jig head bent or fail ... not once. Where you got your info l dont know !

Quote Originally Posted by TinarooTriumph View Post
    Thats all a bit rich coming from you mate. You've been fishing for barra all your life & done countless numbers of Tournaments in the N.T & fished for Marlin your entire life too I take it? Not to mention have a major role in developing fishing reels & gear for decades - you've done this too I guess?

I realise you mean 'no disrespect for a legend', but those of us that know Jack well will have read your post and will think one thing of you - total amatuer! Jack has been creating extremely barra worthy gear now for a long time now thats not only tough & strong but also extremely reliable. The other major part to Jack's work is that he realises the need for 'value for money' and that is certainly something you get when buying good Penn gear (Spinfishers, Slammers, Internationals). Put it this way Chris, if you were to get a Zillion - an admireable casting reel, and put it up against a 360 Penn Slammer (spin reel), which is also an admireable casting reel, I would almost guarantee the Slammer would shit all over the Zillion after a few fish in tight surrounds e.g. somewhere in Monduran.

I'll make sure Robbie, Laurie, Grant & Jack have a good read of this thread when I'm in the shop tomorrow. Would have expected a slightly more appropriate & thoughtfull post for someone who's in the 'big boys league' now & placed 9th in the BARRA PRO Rankings. Perhaps you could also let us know your personal thoughts on some particular Jigheads/hooks that let you down on the latest BARRA Tour?

On the better looking side of things, Merry Christmas to all anglers & their families and may the new Year be a gooden.

Regards
    Theo

Theo ....... The one thing I'm not is "star struck"! . so if you dont mind , I'll continue to speak my mind...... based on my personal experiences! - I certainly have no affiliations to protect .
    No I dont have Jacks many years of experience under my belt ..... but it does extend to well before you were even a twinkle in your mothers eye - 27 years of hardcore amateur fishing does give me a bit of a foundation........ hey While not being an expert -Having used quite a bit of tackle over the years , I think I have gained a feel for what is quality & what is not ..........

Good tackle design is one thing - However the product will only be as good as the manufacturing processes allows it to be ( a major issue when making to a price) ....
    Theo ... Penn were left behind years ago mate ........ The Halcyon days of Penn Internationals ruling the game fishing roost are long gone & today the brand is playing catch up.
    Cant work out why you are comparing a basic workhorse spin reel to a baitcaster

Chris

PS ...... As for the jig heads - dont know what you are talking about
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO