Thread: Best way to cook atlantic salmon

Best way to cook atlantic salmon

My sister wants to cook some atlantic salmon at Christmas and she asked me i've never cooked it before so i said i'd ask the experts any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks Geoff

Re: Best way to cook atlantic salmon

ah, mine comes already cooked in a tin.
    Otherwise I'd look up poaching it, that seems to be popular on the pommy cooking shows.

Whole or in pieces/Steaks?

we do thick pieces (sliced side poeces) of tassie salmon "crispy-skinned" like this, (and without sounding pretentious, its as good as any nice restaurant dish weve had(,hot hot pan, tiniest tiniest drizzle of olive oil, lightly season (salt n cracked black pepper) the skin side just before cooking. lay skin side down in pan, we let it cook for prob 3-4 mins. watch the side of the piece of fish to monitor cooking. (best almost rare)when 2/3's cooked through turn over for 20secs. take out and rest on plate. to the juices and natural oils/fat from the fish add a knob off butter, heat and stir then add cracked pepper, grate the zest of one lemon, chop a handful of fresh dill and parsely in and stir till you have a sauce, you could add some chopped capers to if you like, and pour over fish. add seasonal steamed vegies or a nice crisp salad, aaaaaand,.........dont forget the wine! it might sound a little much but its all very quick and easy, specially if you grate and chop befor cooking starts. my favourite part of this is the thinner bit near the belly, its probably got the biggest accumulation of fat there. mmmmmm
    "izzz izzz izzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"... sounds of heaven.

"You're gonna need a bigga esky!"

Yeh i like it the way b8nburleee does it as well. Bloody nice if still raw in the middle. Goes well with dill and horse radish as well.

Another way to have it or at least part of it is as carpaccio. For me this is basicaly finely choped garlic, a herb of choice ( eg basil, parsley, dill ) olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper mixed together. Then very finely slice the raw salmon same as sashimi and mix it all together. Have this on crusty bread etc etc. You can mix and match just about any combo of herbs, garlic, ginger or just salt and pepper and mix with lemon juice.

I have had it few other ways visiting my wifes aunty in austria but they are my favourites.

herb encrusted.......

take 3 favorite herbs, and blend them into a dough with butter and breadcrumbs.

roll it out flat, into sheets between glad wrap. Cut into squares the size of fish fillet pieces and freeze

turn on grill

pan fry fillet piece skin side up - do not turn - cook to brown and crisp the bottom and till it comes free from the pan - do not over cook

Take fillet piece out of pan, and put in hot grill, skin side up - place herb sheet over the top of the skin and cook in grill to top side is done, and herbs are browned and crispy

serve

For really thick pieces of fish, you can cook the top side of the fillet in the grill for a little while before putting the herb sheet on

really, really good when you get it right

cheers

Mick

Poached in water, verjuice, onion, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Serve with fresh hollandaise and danish schnapps (Akvavit) straight from the freezer.

Thanks everyone i'll print your receipes off and send them to my sister in Brisbane

Geoff