Thread: Poached Snapper

Poached Snapper

A Chinese friend gave me this recipe a few weeks ago and I've been trying it a few times since, its quick and easy although I haven't been able to match her effort yet.

Get a big pot of water on the boil with one or two inches of crushed ginger.

Turn off the heat and put in whole fish or big fillet........It will cook in no time.

Get the thing out without breaking it........2 egg flips help

Sauce........Cut up fine some fresh as you can get ginger and garlic. (Try to get some local garlic, how the supermarkets sell US and Chinese garlic and not the local is crazy) Amount depends on you so whatever you reckon.

Put garlic and ginger in pan with some oil cook for a little while then add some water and keep on simmer for five minutes.

Take the skin off the fish and poor the sauce over ...then add some soy sauce and its ready to serve.

Serve with rice and spring onions sliced on top.

Quick easy and very nice and the fish is very juicy..just like Nigella's cooking.

Now to just go and catch some more snapper.

Re: Poached Snapper

I have had a dish very close to this with my old boss. He was asian and we used to go to china town in brissie when ever we were up there and had the chance. I think we had it done with perch though. Its quite nice and like you say juicy. A steamer also produces similar results but keeps a bit more of the fish flavour in the fish.

That ginger, garlic and shallot combo is my favourite way of having snapper. I also add a bit of chilli, fish sauce, palm sugar, soy and sesame oil.