Thread: Baked Ham

Baked Ham

Ok Guys and Guyettes.

I have always been a bit of a trditionalist when it comes to Xmas foods. The ubiquitous lamb roast, pork roast, turkey roast(still trying to figure where that fits into traditional aussie fare), beef roast. Also done the whole seafood thing.

One thing I have never done is a Baked Ham. They did one at the recent ladies gamefishing tournament and it was bloody fantastic. Talking to my sis tonight re catering for the family xmas get together and i mentioned baked ham. She said ....always wanted to have one but never bothered.

So my question to the afficianados out there. What is your best baked ham recipe. I have the guiness one from the yahoo food website which looks interesting. I would prefer one that doesnt include oranges (am alergic to them), and several family members have aversions to cloves (which seem to be prevalent in all the recipes i come accross). I have a Hooded BBq, and a fan forced oven. (the webber is in storage..so kettle recipes are out).

Over to the experts.

Greg

Re: Baked Ham

I have done a baked Ham a thousand times (well a dozen anyway) all I do is get a "normal" Ham, have the hooded BBQ on low, and stick the Ham in a tray (so it does not burn on the bottm) and baste it now and then with a combo of Orange and Pinapple juice/nectar to give it a nice glaze, remember the Ham is cooked, you only need enough time to fully heat it right through without burning it (it takes quite a while) I have even done the criss cross pattern with a clove in each "cross" looks really good, now I guess that is not really a true baked Ham, more a hot Ham, but it comes out a treat, and all the free loader relatives think you are a genious!

All right here we go:

Ingredients
    5kg Leg of ham
    100ml Honey
    50g Mustard
    50g Red currant jam
    100ml Orange juice
    20g Cloves
    Salt & Pepper

Combine the mustard, honey, orange juice and jam with a little salt and pepper in a bowl, and allow it to come to room temperature.Score diagonal lines about 3cm apart in the rind of the ham.
    Score diagonal lines in the opposite direction to create a diamond pattern.

Press a clove into the centre of each diamond shaped piece of rind and brush the entire ham with the melted honey-mustard glaze several times.

wrap it using two large oven bags.
    Bake the ham at 160°c for approximately two hours, then remove the oven bags to allow the rind to brown for a further twenty minutes then you are all done.

(you can leave the orange juice and cloves out if you wish)

Hey Mate,
    There's a good looking recipe in today's Courier Mail. It's called Soy Ginger Glazed Berkshire Ham. Looks pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by scott171287annon View Post
    All right here we go:

Ingredients
    5kg Leg of ham
    100ml Honey
    50g Mustard
    50g Red currant jam
    100ml Orange juice
    20g Cloves
    Salt & Pepper

Combine the mustard, honey, orange juice and jam with a little salt and pepper in a bowl, and allow it to come to room temperature.Score diagonal lines about 3cm apart in the rind of the ham.
    Score diagonal lines in the opposite direction to create a diamond pattern.

Press a clove into the centre of each diamond shaped piece of rind and brush the entire ham with the melted honey-mustard glaze several times.

wrap it using two large oven bags.
    Bake the ham at 160°c for approximately two hours, then remove the oven bags to allow the rind to brown for a further twenty minutes then you are all done.

(you can leave the orange juice and cloves out if you wish)
    Use this recipe but substitute Orange juice for pineapple or apple juice.(or both)
    Also substitute The Cloves with whole star aniseed.(Id put both)
    Believe me when I say Aniseed star does go with pork.
    The only other change I would do is turn the ham once whilst it is in the bag.
    TOP recipe, Thanks scott

most of the recipes I read tell me to take the skin (rhind) off, leaving the fat on the surface of the ham - as opposed to pork where the skin is the "crackling" that everyone wants (if it happens). This is one bit that has me confused. Also the cooking times quoted vary HUGELY. I know the ham is already cooked (cured), and that this excercise is basically heating up and 'tarting' up a ham. But I am interested in what flavours can be imparted through the Ham during this process.

PS. They are too bluddy expensive to experiment with.

Greg

Greg, the ham actually changes in texture and taste through the baking. Hams are cured in brine then cold smoked. The sweet baste does impart a fair bit of flavour to the outside. The idea of taking the rind off and scoring the fat allows these flavours to get into the ham. You can't really go wrong unless you try to cremate it
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Baked ham with 'Fast Ed'....
    this was on better homes and gardens the other night.
    watch it on this link

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better...pisode-43/#fop
    .......Ash

Mate - we did Nigella Lawsons coke a cola ham last year...that was really really good - sounds like sh.t but isnt. I am yet to have something of hers I dont like. I also cooked her Steak and Kidney Pud with Suet crust again last year....man thats as close to Manchester as the United team.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Hi all
    I remember years ago my nan did a ham and used sliced pineapple rings, glace cherries and basted it with pineapple juice and brown sugar. She took the skin off, scored it, used the pineapple rings to cover it and used a toothpick to put the glace cherries in the middle of the rings. She basted it continually with the juice and sugar. Yummo. She occassionally used glace pineapple when available as well instead of canned stuff.
    I did one a couple of chrissies ago, forgot the pineapple rings and cherries- just used the same brown sugar and pineapple juice glaze. Turned out great, nice and brown and flavorsome.

Ronnie