Thread: Avoiding Freshwater Turtles

Avoiding Freshwater Turtles

Does anyone know a way of avoiding turtles when baitfishing? I occasionally fish for carp in the Logan/Albert rivers but recently have caught only turtles. A couple of years back I would catch the occasional one amongst several carp. Are they in plague proportions? The carp are certainly still there in numbers, but the turtles seem to get to the bait before them. Might have to try fly fishing...
    Last edited by itbass; 30-11-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: grammar

Re: Avoiding Freshwater Turtles

yeah seems like they are in plague proportions,
    although im not baitfishing it seems as though im seeing more and more turtles in spots ive fished for years,

dont know how your going to be able to avoid them,
    perhaps stop fishing for carp and chase some natives on lures,
    Cheers,

Ben

What bait are you using? I've not done a huge amount of carp fishing, just 3 or 4 camping trips, (no carp in my local river systems) but I've not caught a turtle on sweet corn in those trips, and the carp love it.

Thanks,
    I do chase natives as well but I do enjoy catching big carp on light tackle. Seems to happen with all baits including worms and corn. Seen some interesting videos of flyfishing for carp recently. I might give it a go. Thanks again.

Not just bait LOL.

Recent trip to yarrawonga saw a mate catch a tortise on a jackel. A full strike not unlucky snaging.

Which also brings up the popular debate of the trip. Should the tortise count towards his tally for the week?

cheers and good luck

Hi all,
    Stonecold and myself went fishing out west recently with lures out of yaks and I hooked a turtle on a small legend lure. Got a bit of a surprise when we found it had some western style jewellery on it.
    Now, if you hate turtles thats okay but honestly you must have too much spare time on your hands or some obsessive,compulsive disorder to do this sort of s**t.
    We cut it off and let it go to terrorise some other bait fisho.
    Cheers, Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OMG, what the hell is wrong with people....?
    i wish i could get a hold of the barstard that did that,
    maybe whack a zip tie around his neck and pull down,
    Cheers,

Ben

Naahh,

Put the zip tie further down.

No point around their neck as they're already brain dead.

Luc