Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mud Crabbing made easy> for some!!

Re: Mud Crabbing made easy> for some!!

hi guys some awesome info in there

Thanks Tony

Quote Originally Posted by flatzie View Post
    Heres a nice one from Hinchinbrook last week
    Cheers
    Flatzie
    Flatzie

Was there many crabs on the move?
    Which end of the channel do you prefer to fish?

cheers

i got these nice little nuggets of goodness a little while back, i put up this photo to show the tub i use to store the crabs in, the tub has hole in the bottom for air and to drain out the water when i swim them, as long as you dont muck around with your crabs to much you can keep them for a couple of week during summer and even longer during winter months.I have a couple of wet nappy's over the top to keep the moister up to them, potato sacks are the best but i ran out.

i take the tub down to the salt water about once a week and give them a quick drink , then take them back home and store them in a cool dark place.In between giving them a drink i give them a quick shower of fresh water, fresh water is okay for a quick splash but never cover a crab with fresh water or they will up and die.Good to have live muddies on call when needed

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by smashed crabs View Post
    i got these nice little nuggets of goodness a little while back, i put up this photo to show the tub i use to store the crabs in, the tub has hole in the bottom for air and to drain out the water when i swim them, as long as you dont muck around with your crabs to much you can keep them for a couple of week during summer and even longer during winter months.I have a couple of wet nappy's over the top to keep the moister up to them, potato sacks are the best but i ran out.

i take the tub down to the salt water about once a week and give them a quick drink , then take them back home and store them in a cool dark place.In between giving them a drink i give them a quick shower of fresh water, fresh water is okay for a quick splash but never cover a crab with fresh water or they will up and die.Good to have live muddies on call when needed

cheers
    opps , here is the photo

Someone tell me what is the best bait for sandcrabs , im planing to go hunt for them in the deeper water out of Lucinda, i dont even know if they are out there but it might be worth a look, does anyone also know what depth of water i should try in?

cheers

whats the plan of attack after rain fellas? Are they on the move to river mouths or do they hide until the salinity rises again?

Cheers

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    whats the plan of attack after rain fellas? Are they on the move to river mouths or do they hide until the salinity rises again?

Cheers

Nick
    After a good dry spell the rain will put them on the move, i know they are not to keen on to much fresh, good rain at night topped with lower tides flush them out. Then it's a simple matter of putting the pots out in different areas to find out where they are.

Crabs that can bury down into the water table thats still salty and can tough it out more than crabs that only have shallow hole's.So different creeks ect will fire up better than other with good rain.
    Water fall creek in the Hinchinbrook channle fires up really well when the fresh is on but you have to be there to get them before they completly vacate the system, it is at that stage you crab the flats and then follow them back again.

During big floods the crabs seem to disappear alltogether from the channel, i have been meaning to try the deep holes in the channel to see if they are there but never got around to it, i have found the big sand flats to work well after the flood water dies down, maybe the crabs head right out to sea as far away from the fresh as possible.

i have heard from other crabbers that muddies can adjust to fresh as long as it is a gradual introduction , i really dont know if it is true or not, i have never caught a muddy from water i can drink

cheers

excellent post mate much appreciated

Nick

I seen a mate one night hook into a hand full of prawn heads, while full on brandavino. A barb went straight into his gum. He sobered up realy quick when he felt the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by flatzie View Post
    Heres a nice one from Hinchinbrook last week
    Cheers
    Flatzie

crab's not too bad......that damn lobster though, he's massive!!!

I put my pots in for one night up the Channel, massive tides and bucket loads of rain, on my way into one of my spots i saw about 5 pots plonked in the middle of the creek , really bad move because the big tide took the pots for a big walk and wrapped the floats around trees and under roots. i got into the system before the chap came to try and check his pots.
    If you are going to crab on big tides push up as far as you can go, i pushed right in over and through the trees and it wasnt easy but i go two crabs in one and three in another , all up i set only 4 pots for two people and scored 6 crabs.
    when i came back out of the trees the bloke who put those pots in the hard run area was there having a hell of a time trying to retreive his gear, he lost half of his gear and no crabs, all brand new pots he said.I really hope he found all of his pots and if he didnt i hope they did not have crabs in them, no hope for crabs stuck in ghost pots.

Anyone reading this please be carefull where you place you gear, not only can it be a waste of time and money it adds to the ghost pot collection and kills crabs and fish.
    After the out of towners vacate the channel there will be ghost pots all over the place, I have spotted at least 20 ghost pots in the last 2 week alone and still stuck in the same places.

cheers

Pot fulla bucks .... 12 in one pull.

BigE

forgot the pics
    E

BigE , Unreal
    What sort of area did you score your pot full?

Guys this morning i sunk a holding pot with 10 muddies in it tied up.i'm going to feed them every day,hoping they will get a bit more condition(cooked a couple & about 3/5 full).Has anybody kept muddies like this & if so for how long.A pro told me that they will feed tied up but if i untie them they will just attack each other.
    i'm gunna keep a real close eye on them & if it dosen't look like there gaining condition i'll let them go.
    we got 15 last nite (4 mates & 16 pots)great nite with the boys.

cheers jason