Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Which Landcruiser - Petrol or Diesel???

Which Landcruiser - Petrol or Diesel???

One and all,
    I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to a Landcruiser 100 series.
    I'm confused though on which one to look at. The petrol or the diesel.

Driving habits are -
    Towing a near 2T boat just about every weekend.
    Going 4x4 a few times a year to Fraser / Moreton etc usually with a camper trailer loaded to the hilt in tow.
    Most likely could end up going to the cape or doing a bit of touring out west.
    Very often carry 7 passengers in the Jackaroo, so being a 8 seater I'd be having it full of people regularly as well.
    Plenty of on road use around town and semi long distant trips >1000km

Last trip to Fraser with the soft sand the Jackaroo worked real hard, my mate who had a Prado Diesel also worked hard, but seemed to manage to get himself out when bogged. I needed some help

So while I have the cash I began thinking that maybe it was time to go the next step while we are doing the outdoors stuff.

Any thoughts on which one? Manual/Auto as well. Don't matter as myself and the missus can drive both.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Re: Which Landcruiser - Petrol or Diesel???

Heath in light of the tow weight and distances, plus plans for the Cape I would go the diesel. And go an auto for better performance in the sand. Only problem I have myself going diesel is some diesel soot accumulating over the bow of the boat on long distance runs - polishes out easily though and if you have a boat cover or industrial glad wrap for long journeys it wouldn't' be a problem. I have a manual myself as I much prefer to drive them nad like the control, but sand performance suffers. WRT driving around town auto wins again, and both will be thirsty but hey you can't have everything!

For me, if I couldn't come up with a couple of realy realy good reasons to get a diesel (none in your post so far), I'd go the petrol due to the difference in initial price and repairs only.
    Your chances of finding a 100 series that's done little or no towing or offroad are also much greater with the petrols IMHO.

As for beach towing, only the 1hz powered one would struggle a bit - it will get there, just slower than the others.

GBC - The 105 series came out with the Naturally asperated 4.2d and 4.5i petrol engine.

100 series came out with the 4.2td and 4.7i V8 petrol. But ifs front

The V8 petty will be hell cheaper. But add $2750 (after rebate) for performance gas injection. That will half your fuel bill.
    The V8 gets about 22l per 100 (430k's per tank $104.50)
    When on gas it gets about 24l per 100 (395k's per tank $52.25)
    But you will try and hardly ever use your petrol (unless you have too). So although alot cheaper your range is affected. If you dont have plans to put it on gas then turbo diesel.

I just spent heaps of time and money on my petrol, only to decide to give in and get a diesel for all the really remote trips Im about to take.

8 Seats! Crikey, he dissapears for 2 months and the family has doubled in size hahah you have been busy!! LOL LOL

OK, I have had both, and would never have anything but a Diesel again ever, and a turbo if you can find one, unless I can find some rich lady that wants to keep me happy (with cash) to pay for fuel, do not be too fooled by the eight seat thing, sure it has seating and seat belts for 8, but anyone in the back that actualy has legs, will be very uncomfortable for anymore than a quick lift home from the pub, it is cramped and the seating is rather flat! the car itself will be a dream to own and operate, very little problems to look out for.

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Your chances of finding a 100 series that's done little or no towing or offroad are also much greater with the petrols IMHO.
    Doesnt that say something in iteself?

I would go the turbo diesel myself (and have ), have had no trouble towing our 6m plate boat long distances and haven't noticed any soot on the front of the boat (dont know if thats a N/A thing?), but I'm not sure I'd care anyway, dont think it scares off the fish.

Havent had any experience towing on fraiser, but have used it to pull the boat out of the water on moreton and tow it down the beach and have had no trouble.

It is my understanding that a petrol engine increases fuel consumption much more rapidly under a heavy load than a diesel and thats why all the big trucks are diesel.

All 4x4 wagons have no downward leg room in the 3rd row seats. So Im sure having a jackaroo he is aware of that. But I would rather a 4.7 V8 anyday over a N/A diesel. Thats just crazy talk .

I am conviced that diesel in a 4wd is the way to go....being diesel can save you bacon so many ways.

The fuel alone.....I have a mate with a petrol 100 series...give him a poke about fuel consumption and you can see the pain.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Heath

Id be inclined to go for the turbo diesel. Its a very strong engine, and reliable too. My Dad drives a turbo 100 (HDJ100). it has some real get up and go in the town, and we have towed a 1.5 tonne campervan to south west rocks with ease, and it chews up the beaches. Yes it is IFS but you can always beef up the suspension a bit.

I drive an 1HZ powered 80 series manual, and the difference in engines is unreal. The 1hz is very sluggish around town (very indee). However it comes into its own, esp with a manual box on the tracks as it has low down grunt. For the record it pulled me out of a very soft patch of sand in 3rd gear low range at 800rpm on straddy.

My 80 gives me abuot 13L/100km. And my dads turbo returns an aveage of 11 (not towing).

Diesels are, by nature, suited to towing, because of their low down grunt, and low revving (means less wear etc etc). Afterall, big prime movers use diesel motors.

Pretzil is spot on the money about hte fuel consumption too.

cheers

Owen

I am biased, but much prefer diesel. Don't have any "true" experience, just from my own personal eperience with my own vehicle, but i love diesel.

hey heath
    wev'e personally owned about 6 landcruisers from 60 series thru to our current 03 100 which we bought new we have had NA diesels ,turbo diesels and petrols --6's and 8's IMO the V8 100 auto is the pick of the bunch , we've done a couple of mods to ours and it's not much heavier on fuel than our last turbo diesel 80 !t was a heap cheaper to buy initially $10-12k and we only run about 12 000 km per annum so fuel costs aren' t a biggie
    we tow a 6m boat and do a couple trips to the NW over the year
    the maint costs on petrol are about a quarter that of a diesel as well -- I dont know what you guys pay at the bowser but in Perth diesel has been 15-20 cpl dearer than ULP in recent times
    we changed the exhaust and at present getting around 13-15l per 100 k city and 21-25 towing open road depending on conditions
    the new diesels are not that user friendly now-a-days -- have a look under the bonnet of a new 78-9 or 200--- scary stuff!!
    the V8 is only about 190kw but has got a bucket load of torque starting from about 1600rpm

Turbo Diesel Auto every time, make sure you go for the five speed over the four speed as the five speed is a far better box. You will buy a V8 cruiser cheap and the reason is people who own them have gone broke from paying for petrol, yes you can go lpg but the range would not be suitable for the sort of touring you are talking about.
    The 4.2TD engine is a very smooth and powerful engine which will give excellent reliability (with regular services) and the resale will be very good (check out the prices of any used 100's ) Find a good one and you wouldnt be disappointed

Cheers
    Scott
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

Ha ha, the old arguement.. Diesel vs petrol... Alot of bias people in the diesel industry. They all lie about how much power they make aswell (after turbo mods, intercoolers etc).

Bottom line in people buy the V8 petrols because they are smooth and powerful. Very city upperclass. And dont care about the eco. They dont want the diesel rattle or lag. If your going to leave them stock. Then turbo diesel forsure. But with lpg injection, same if not better eco and about 3k infront straight up, not to mention half the cost of servicing. Lack of range is their only problem.

This has been covered 1000 times already. Eco = torque, gearing and throttle position.
    I have a 1fz-fe 4.5 80 series cruiser with top of the range lpg injection. And a 1HDT 80 series turbo diesel. Nothing in it between them.

The petrol is auto and diesel is manual. For cruising, the petrol (auto). For bsuh the turbo diesel (manual). Both tow the same, and same eco.

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    Ha ha, the old arguement.. Diesel vs petrol... Alot of bias people in the diesel industry. They all lie about how much power they make aswell (after turbo mods, intercoolers etc).

Bottom line in people buy the V8 petrols because they are smooth and powerful. Very city upperclass. And dont care about the eco. They dont want the diesel rattle or lag. If your going to leave them stock. Then turbo diesel forsure. But with lpg injection, same if not better eco and about 3k infront straight up, not to mention half the cost of servicing. Lack of range is their only problem.

This has been covered 1000 times already. Eco = torque, gearing and throttle position.
    I have a 1fz-fe 4.5 80 series cruiser with top of the range lpg injection. And a 1HDT 80 series turbo diesel. Nothing in it between them.

The petrol is auto and diesel is manual. For cruising, the petrol (auto). For bsuh the turbo diesel (manual). Both tow the same, and same eco.
    Thanks Ben, I agree totally with that statement.

Heath you should go drive both.. all you have to do is find the Diesel cause ya know where there is a petrol
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech